CanesInSight Spring Tour: Westminster Christian

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
96963.jpg

The first stop on the CanesInSight spring tour took me to Westminster Christian down in Palmetto Bay.

A new era is here for Sedrick Irvin’s Warriors, as the team will be without Tim Irvin and Jordan Cronkrite, two players who helped elevate the program’s stock. Although the same star power might not be there this upcoming season, I saw a well balanced team who should be able to spread the ball around and has more depth on the lines.

Here are some prospects who caught my eye:

H-Back John Raine (6-2, 225)
**Raine is one of the more intriguing prospects in South Florida because of his raw athletic ability and size, partnered with his willingness to play with physicality.
**The major thing that stands out to me about Raine is his potential to create mismatches. He has tremendous feet for his size and his short area quickness is tough for linebackers to handle. He is too big for a nickel corner to cover.
**He was a basketball and soccer player growing up, but has now turned all of his attention to football and that is paying major dividends.
**Last season he played both sides of the ball, but expect him to be a focal point of their offense this season.
**Westminster assistant coach Kelsey Hayes praised Raine’s blocking ability as well, which tells me that his versatility will earn him some big offers in the coming months.
**Miami tight ends coach Larry Scott visited the school today and told Raine that he wants him to attend one of their camps. In my opinion, Raine would do very well in that setting.

OLB/DE James “Trey” Sutton III (6-1, 210)
**Sutton is a guy who has tremendous burst off the edge. Has been extremely productive in high school
**Although he is short for his position, he has an extremely strong base, which is where his explosiveness comes from.
**Michigan and a few other schools said they liked him as a middle linebacker potentially, so that is what he has been playing most of the spring.
**Miami legacy. His father James played linebacker at Miami in the late 90s
**Currently has 6 offers. Full story on him coming

ATH Elbre Gaiter (5-8, 170)
**Gaiter was sitting out of practice today because he is nursing a pinched nerve in his back, but this is a prospect that I’m a big fan of.
**His hands are ultra reliable and he is quicker-than-fast. Ideal slot prospect most likely for a mid-level Division-1 program
**Here is a story I did on Gaiter from last week - https://www.canesinsight.com/content/2710-Miami-legacy-Gaiter-ready-to-show-his-ability

OT/DT Robbie Stewart (6-4, 250)
**Stewart is a very interesting prospect because this is only his 2nd year playing football. He was primarily a baseball guy before he realized that this was the sport that he would get a scholarship in.
**The Westminster coaches love his mentality as a lineman and he does not shy away from contact. The key with him staying low.

ATH Akil Oliver (5-11, 175)
**Oliver was at Killian his freshman and sophomore years and a series of off-field things have kept him from playing as much as he would have liked to, but that stuff seems to be cleared up now.
**Oliver is a smooth athlete who can play either side of the ball, but will play mostly receiver for WCS this season.

ATH William Ray (6, 185)
**Ray caught my eye based on sheer athletic ability. He seems to lack great “football” ability, but height-weight-speed measurables are all there. Could be a sleeper

DT/G Dylan Charlton (5-11, 220)
**Charlton sat out on Wednesday with a concussion, but he has some of the most impressive film you will watch. Aggressive, instinctive hitter - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1913228/highlights/207808391/v2
**Was 1st team All-Dade last season

RB Darren Jones
**Brother of former Southridge and Louisville cornerback Andrew Johnson.
**Is built like a scat back, but really hits the hole hard and does not have wasted movements

LB Darian Stephenson (6-1, 205)
**Stephenson’s length and size immediately caught my attention. He showed a smooth backpedal and his ability in coverage was impressive. Looks like a D-1 prospect to me.
**Still raw but has the tools
**Transfer from Coral Reef

QB Bryce Holliday (6-2, 185)
**Raw, intriguing quarterback prospect who has the tools to be a major dual-threat for Westminster this season.
**Takes long strides when he runs. Elongated delivery but has very good arm strength. Should be very good once he gets more reps
**Only 15 years old
**Was at Dade Christian his freshman year, then went to Hialeah last year.

WR Lorenzo Grigio (5-7, 170)
**Explosive slot receiver who runs phenomenal routes, will be a major threat for this offense
**Already has garnered the attention of FIU

LB Daniel Duasso (6, 175)
**Duasso is a twitchy, instinctual linebacker who is still growing into his frame. Look for him to add a lot of weight over the summer.
**The linebacker trio of Stephenson, Duasso, and Sutton should be fun to watch this season.

These next two prospects are already being talked about as the next Tim Irvin-Jordan Cronkrite type duo at Westminster. Both are currently in the 8th grade.

RB Demetrius Ford
**Ford is a product of the South Miami Grey Ghosts optimist program and the one word that comes to mind with him is SPEED.
**He has already been clocked at a 4.6 40-yard dash laser time which is crazy for somebody at his age and size (5-6)

WR Kalani Norris (5-9)
**Norris comes from the Kendall Kolts program and will be a contributor at WCS as a freshman next season.
**Explosive offensive playmaker who will make his mark as a slot receiver. Runs crisp routes and catches the ball away from his body.
**Brother of Booker T. Washington great and current Western Kentucky WR Nicholas “Cheebo” Norris.
**Here is his 8th grade tape - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2631369/highlights/219542380/v2

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back