Canes unluckiest 2019 - 2020 is Coastal or ****

Advertisement
I’ve been watching sports for a very long time. This is what is always true:
You can blame the kicker once, but you can’t continue to blame the kicker.

What separates the good teams from bad teams is that they overcome poor moments. They usually find a way to win more often than not, even if it’s ugly.

What separates the great teams from the good teams is that they rarely find themselves in a position to win ugly

What separates the all time teams from great teams is that it’s not even a discussion of winning ugly.

We were not and have not been a good team for the past 2 yrs. A roster full of some good individual players? Yes. But good TEAM? No.

The minute we can grasp that concept, the minute we can stop using kickers as an excuse to justify an “unlucky” season; b/c if we were a good team, we beat LA Tech, FIU, Duke, and GT. That’s what good teams do; they don’t hide behind one play or a kicker. Why? B/c they wouldn’t be in a position to lose to such teams.

I wholeheartedly believe romeo played most of 2019 Season hurt .... otherwise the kid was a stud at striker..

Watching the Florida game - other than the putrid pass blocking and QB’s holding the ball too long, we really should have won the game. Missed or not attempted field goals, 2 terrible PI calls on Romeo and Blades, long run by Harris called back.

UNC we gave them a huge lead at the beginning, then really dominated most of the game. Again missed field goals and 4th and 17...SMH

VT - we kept turning it over and then not covering the TE. Made a huge comeback and missed the Extra point which deflated the D.

GT - that was a crazy series of events. Gave up TD in end zone, long TD on fake punt, missed FG’s and BS call on the Brevin Jordan play in OT.

We had bad luck - but caused a lot of our own problems with poor execution, bad calls, sloppy tackling etc.

We need to perform this year - no excuses.

Which is why i don't call it an unlucky season.

Putting yourself behind UNC with almost 200 yards allowed on 3 consecutive scoring drives to start a game against a true frosh QB (his 2nd career game) and being out of position on 4th and 17 is not luck. That's execution and being unprepared after a deflating loss to a rival. That loss alone could have been justifiable on its own....but what spiraled after cannot.

Turning the ball over 5 of your first 6 possession and giving VT such a huge lead (QB starting his first career game btw, on the road).....again, being unprepared and going through the motions early on.

Allow a HS team in GT to even be in the game? Unprepared, unmotivated or just don't care. Pick one.

FIU/Duke/LaTech - no excuses.

We may have had unlucky moments but i doubt any fans sitting here watching these games said, oh man we have the worst luck ever! No.

Advertisement
Romeo was solid to very good over the last two seasons here. Also seriously doubt we'll replace a 4 year starting , 1st team All ACC, drafted and future starter in the NFL in Shaq, along with Pickney and be better in 2020.

We went from Morgan to Vilma without missing a beat. Not saying Shaq is Morgan or Brooks is Vilma but...

If you read the article it’s not really about luck, it’s about analytics. When you analyze numbers from every single football game in the country, you can very accurately predict game outcomes. It’s not perfect, there are statistical anomalies and outliers. The article says Miami had an inordinate number of anomalies in 2019. Just running the statistics of Miami vs opponents, the S+P win prediction was 8.7 wins. Which in coincidentally was right around the Vegas over/under of 8.5 wins last year. (They don’t just pick these numbers out of a hat) Personally, I’m happier they didn’t reach the 8-9 win plateau last year or we’d be bringing back the terrible offensive staff that instead got fired.

Also, in response to good teams not leading luck, I refer you to the 2001 national champion. That team is often referred to as the best team ever, especially by Miami fans. They needed two 100% luck plays to survive the regular season undefeated. Boston College quarterback hits Mike Rumph in the leg with a pass that bounces right into Matt Walters’ hands and Ernest Wilford dropping a wide open easy two point conversion that would have sent the Miami/VT game to overtime. There was no superior skill or game planning involved on either of those plays. One was a ball taking a random ricochet and the other was a normally sure handed receiver dropping an easy pass where he was uncovered.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back