Canes Preparing to play week 1 without Fans.

gruntking

Senior
To beat the Owls I think we at least need to have the stadium speakers blaring crowd cheers after getting first downs or scores.

RocketsandCanes

RocketsandCanes
As I’ve said before, this hasn’t been discussed enough. Playing MSU and V-Tech on the road with no fans will take away their home field advantage.
Yeah, but then I can't go with my family to the MSU game to see the Canes play live in my home state for the first time in my life. So booo.

I'm joking. I get the need to have the games without fans and the advantage it would probably give us. But damn I'd still be disappointed.

JD08

He don't cause trouble. He don't bother nobody.
I truly do not understand your post. I don't mean that combatively, I mean it. There isn't a debate as to what is and isn't "possible." That first link is the actual # of ICU beds that are being used as of Wednesday. Hard, factual, incontrovertible data from the Republican led state of Florida that the ICU Covid-19 cases are spiking hard, and the state and local governments are very concerned about its shrinking number of available ICU beds. And obviously its trending the wrong way, and fast, and infections are spiking.

Our back and forth started because you said the ICU bed shortage was BS because you work in a SFL hospital. Doesn't that link end any debate?

It's also happening all over the south where states opened up too soon or didn't close down enough. Today, in Texas:

Texas paused its reopening process and moved to free up hospital space for coronavirus patients on Thursday amid growing concern over its rising tally of cases, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced Thursday.

The state has recorded more than 130,000 cases and nearly 3,000 deaths. More than 4,300 people with the virus are hospitalized across the state, more than double the number at the beginning of June. To ensure that hospitals have enough capacity to care for virus patients, Mr. Abbott issued an executive order suspending elective procedures in hospitals in four counties: Bexar, Dallas, Travis and Harris, which includes hard-hit Houston.

Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston told local lawmakers on Wednesday that the city’s intensive-care units were filled to 97 percent capacity, and that more than a quarter of those patients had tested positive for the virus.

I can't speak to Texas or anywhere else and I don't care who's running the state. We have 22 million people in FL and 6 thousand ICU beds. That's one ICU bed for every 3600 people. It's not a lot, but it's enough and it's not a big deal for them to be full. We've had them completely full many, many times, usually repeatedly over the course of flu/tourist season. We put the overflow in other areas and move patients to Telemetry units as soon as possible. The most important part is having the available staff. Covid patients are going into isolation rooms and/or negative pressure rooms with controlled airflow. A lot of ICU rooms aren't set up to be isolation rooms so you don't put covid patients in those at all. If volume gets high enough, they'll move covid patients to a larger negative pressure ward where they'll add additional staff, which is the primary benefit of an ICU.

People see reports like these and think it's a terrible thing to be near capacity, but in reality it happens all the time. We're not spiking, we're seeing an increased volume because people are getting the medical attention they put off as things go back to normal. We even got an email from the CEO stating something to the effect of contrary to news reports, the FL DOH assures us that there is no hospital bed shortage.

This chart should explain it all. This is the Florida data from covidtracking.com over the last 30 days. You can see that cases are rising, but the daily hospitalizations have barely moved. Covid supposedly has a 2-14 day incubation time. That red line (hospitalizations) is not following the same path as the blue line (cases).

1593121089000.png

AlixCane

Recruit
I can't speak to Texas or anywhere else and I don't care who's running the state. We have 22 million people in FL and 6 thousand ICU beds. That's one ICU bed for every 3600 people. It's not a lot, but it's enough and it's not a big deal for them to be full. We've had them completely full many, many times, usually repeatedly over the course of flu/tourist season. We put the overflow in other areas and move patients to Telemetry units as soon as possible. The most important part is having the available staff. Covid patients are going into isolation rooms and/or negative pressure rooms with controlled airflow. A lot of ICU rooms aren't set up to be isolation rooms so you don't put covid patients in those at all. If volume gets high enough, they'll move covid patients to a larger negative pressure ward where they'll add additional staff, which is the primary benefit of an ICU.

People see reports like these and think it's a terrible thing to be near capacity, but in reality it happens all the time. We're not spiking, we're seeing an increased volume because people are getting the medical attention they put off as things go back to normal. We even got an email from the CEO stating something to the effect of contrary to news reports, the FL DOH assures us that there is no hospital bed shortage.

This chart should explain it all. This is the Florida data from covidtracking.com over the last 30 days. You can see that cases are rising, but the daily hospitalizations have barely moved. Covid supposedly has a 2-14 day incubation time. That red line (hospitalizations) is not following the same path as the blue line (cases).

View attachment 120082
As I've said before, I'd be happy to be wrong. In fact, I'd give a body part or two to be wrong. Why don't we keep an eye on this and revisit in a couple of weeks?

Saltycane

Sophomore
Watch the NBA, they have created a bubble and supposedly have this most complete thorough plan. They are saying if the NBA doesn’t work out then no sport can do it.

AlixCane

Recruit
It's not impossible, but it's not something my hospital or the FL DOH is anticipating. I posted this on another thread from the most recent update.

I heard that yesterday's FL DOH update stated there were no shortages of hospital beds, including the ICU. And that hospitalization rate for new positives is lower than previously and the patients have less severe symptoms.

This is all positive despite the number of cases. Please don't get hung up on ICU numbers. There are only ~6,000 ICU beds in the entire state. Most covid patients go into isolation wards.
Whoops, missed this last week. I'm sure its worse today. Hmmmmm......

As coronavirus cases continue to rise, Florida has stopped tracking how many COVID-19 patients are in ICU beds

The announcement came on Tuesday, after more Florida hospitals started to publicly report that all of their ICU beds were full, according to the Sun Sentinel.

"Florida announced yesterday they're not counting the icu bed availability anymore, a key element in keeping things open, so the state can proceed to the next phase by July 4," she wrote on Twitter.

Jones also said multiple Department of Health sources have told her they've been instructed this week to change coronavirus numbers by "deleting deaths and cases" so it looks like Florida is improving ahead of July 4.

Whoops, missed this last week. I'm sure its worse today. Hmmmmm......

As coronavirus cases continue to rise, Florida has stopped tracking how many COVID-19 patients are in ICU beds

The announcement came on Tuesday, after more Florida hospitals started to publicly report that all of their ICU beds were full, according to the Sun Sentinel.

"Florida announced yesterday they're not counting the icu bed availability anymore, a key element in keeping things open, so the state can proceed to the next phase by July 4," she wrote on Twitter.

Jones also said multiple Department of Health sources have told her they've been instructed this week to change coronavirus numbers by "deleting deaths and cases" so it looks like Florida is improving ahead of July 4.

So misleading it’s laughable.

But we have figured out what your agenda is at this point.