Canes Basketball 2 day Recap

View as article

pcitycane

Retired staff
Premium
198.jpg

What do you get when you mix sore thumbs, the flu, a gimpy leg, christmas, and a 7 million mile flight? You get the Hawaiian Diamonds tournament. Canes came out like a bat out of **** and beat Hawaii without Reggie on night one as expected, but it was time to play some real competition in round 2.

Arizona was just better than us. We didnt have a chance without Big Reggie. Gamble played decent again, but he is just not the same caliber as Johnson.

TOP PERFORMERS

For the Canes, Kenny Kadji had 19 points and 4 rebounds. Scott had 15 points and Barrys son had 10.

For Arizona Mark Lyons had 19 4 and 3. Nick Johnson had 12.

It was my friggin birthday. What a gift that was. But it would be all better on Christmas right? Got to get a win for 3rd place which, in this tournament in particular judging by the competition, really wouldnt be THAT BAD! And its not. 3rd place in this tourny is a pretty good feat. Hows it feel to be 3rd? Lets ask Indiana State.

With 0.8 left on the clock, Jake Odum, whos grandmother was screaming for him in the stands, banked a 17 or so footer in overtime to put the final Hawaiian nail in the coffin for the University of Miami Hurricanes. Just a dreadful game for UM. 0% from the 3 point line isnt going to cut it, and when you are shooting less than 65% free throws, mathematically you just arent going to win games. We probably should have lost by about 10 or so but Indiana State was cold most of the night.

TOP PERFORMERS

For the Canes, Julian Gamble posted 11 points and 9 boards. Scott who went 4-13 from the field had 12, and Kadji had 13.

Shane Larkin had his worst performance over the Pacific Ocean yet and probably of the season shooting 2-13 and 0-5 from 3 point land. He finished with 4.

Manny Arop and RJ Mahurin both had 13. Jake Odum had 9 points, 6 boards, 6 assists.

Finally, its still all about the :neonu:. Its time to go back to Miami, lick our wounds, and get ready for La Salle because thats it before we get into the important stretch of the regular season.

La Salle is 8-2 and are another school from the A-10 conference. The Hurricanes are now 8-3.

Canes didnt roll, but I got drunk.

:neonu::neonu::crownpour::crownpour::emotcrown::emotcrown::emotcrown::neonu::neonu::neonu:

Advertisement
Very bad trip. Surprisingly poor. Completely destroyed the momentum the Canes had built up. Defense continues to improve. Unfortunately, the offense is regressing at a faster pace - points at halftime for the 3 games: 22, 25, 23. Larranaga needs to take the chains off Larkin and let him push the ball after missed shots and turnovers. The pace they played at in Hawaii is not going to be beat many (if any) tournament level teams. Coach L also needs to force feed 3 minutes here and there to some of the bench players like Swoope and Akpejiori whether he wants to or not, otherwise he is going to completely wear this team down by the last 1/3 of the season.

We have no depth and we just give up at times.

ROK and Swoope are barely mid major JAGs

Next year is going to be atrocious

We have no depth and we just give up at times.

ROK and Swoope are barely mid major JAGs

Next year is going to be atrocious

This. I hate the fact that we sulk and seem to fall apart in face of pressure.

Add Adams and Daniels and we have decent depth. As it stands now, Scott or Larkin have to basically play the entire game.

Advertisement
Rion Brown is now 5-38 from distance this year, missing at least his last 13 attempts. Shooting 13%, as compared to 39.4% last year. I keep thinking he needs to keep shooting to find his stroke and build some confidence, but IDK what to think anymore after watching him shoot brick after brick. Brought the house down with the one alley oop though, ****. We NEED him for ACC play, but there isn't much to be too optimistic about. iirc, he was our top recruit for his class???

We never look to push in the open court, I often find myself screaming at Larkin or other guards to push and attack the basket after a steal or missed shot, but often we choose to play pass it between TMJ and our point guards for 20 seconds 30 feet from the hoop. Don't get why we don't look for fast break points.

I've seen enough from Jekiri now that he is an absolute beast on the defensive side of the ball, Id like to see him get some more minutes.

Still, way too early to go into panic mode.

Rion Brown is now 5-38 from distance this year, missing at least his last 13 attempts. Shooting 13%, as compared to 39.4% last year. I keep thinking he needs to keep shooting to find his stroke and build some confidence, but IDK what to think anymore after watching him shoot brick after brick. Brought the house down with the one alley oop though, ****. We NEED him for ACC play, but there isn't much to be too optimistic about. iirc, he was our top recruit for his class???

We never look to push in the open court, I often find myself screaming at Larkin or other guards to push and attack the basket after a steal or missed shot, but often we choose to play pass it between TMJ and our point guards for 20 seconds 30 feet from the hoop. Don't get why we don't look for fast break points.

I've seen enough from Jekiri now that he is an absolute beast on the defensive side of the ball, Id like to see him get some more minutes.

solid post

I'm beginning to believe Rion Brown is pulling a Malcom Grant. Someone else alluded to it in another post.

You just don't become awful all of a sudden (although MG technically never regressed that badly). Problems in his personal life must be spilling over and affecting his confidence on the court. Couple that with a chain of misses and viola.

All of this could be horsesh$t, but it's a theory nonetheless.

Advertisement
I'm beginning to believe Rion Brown is pulling a Malcom Grant. Someone else alluded to it in another post.

You just don't become awful all of a sudden (although MG technically never regressed that badly). Problems in his personal life must be spilling over and affecting his confidence on the court. Couple that with a chain of misses and viola.

All of this could be horsesh$t, but it's a theory nonetheless.

It might not be that dramatic, but he's definitely in his own head right now. Everyone says shooters need to shoot themselves out of slumps, but this is getting a bit much.

Larkin and Scott can't push in transition as much as we'd like because there is nobody to give them a breather with Daniels gone. We have to slow the game down with no bench. Running will only ruin us over the long run.

Big Reg's injury could not have come at a worse time. I can live with losing to Zona but that ISU loss is a crippler.

And not for nothing but I called Brown's situation as off-the-court related days ago. There's just no way a kid goes in the tank like this without having something serious in his head. No way. He's too good of a player to forget how to shoot in one off-season.

Advertisement
Brown could also have some nagging little injury they're not disclosing. Something he can play through but that bothers him and hurts his game, like Mike James' turf toe last year.

Brown could also have some nagging little injury they're not disclosing. Something he can play through but that bothers him and hurts his game, like Mike James' turf toe last year.

maybe all 10 of his fingers are broken. his shot is just... broken.

Advertisement
Yeah I think what sucks the most is he started to turn it on last year, definitely showing everyone that he can play.

Everyone expected him to really make a big jump and become one of our players, and sadly it hasn't been anything like that.

Interesting with the MG comparison, definitely see some similarities.

Still, I think we have to wait until the beginning of ACC play to make any too strong judgements.

Yeah I know, everyone **** on me for saying that it is still too early.

Brown cant even make free throws. If he had made his free throws we win. I am losing all confidence in him

Brown will be a stud before its all said and done. Guy has a lot of talent. Once he finally gets his groove... Watch out.

It is time, my friend.

/Reggie Johnson gives one left thumb up to this post

Advertisement
Back