'Canes after JUCO WR Lauderdale

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
2014 Saddleback C.C. (Ca.) WR Eric Lauderdale (6'2", 200) had a circuitous path to where he is today. Originally from Fayetteville, Georgia, Lauderdale has blossomed into one of the top Junior College receivers in the country.

"I graduated in 2011 and I didn't qualify out of high school so I was going to go to Junior College, but I found out about prep school and I decided to do that because I would have been able to do a year or semester and you get to go to a division-1 school as a freshman. When I went to the prep school (Hargrave Military Academy), things didn't work out as I had planned and I had to go home because the family that was paying for me to go there didn't have the rest of the money for me to finish school. I had to start over fresh at Junior College," said Lauderdale.

The 4-star wideout's stock has risen greatly since high school.

"I had some offers, but if I would have gone to the camps then I would have had more. I had regular offers like Indiana, Middle Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Tulane. They just wanted me to qualify. I've gotten a lot better over the past couple years so more schools are after me."

How has Lauderdale been able to handle this newfound attention?

"It's crazy. I'm getting a phone call everyday from a coach or someone wanting an interview. In high school, I would get a call every now and then, but now it's everyday which is cool. I don't mind it."

Lauderdale admits he wasn't crazy about having to go the Junior College route, but in the long run he thinks it will help him.

"I didn't want to go to Junior College when I graduated and nobody really wants to do the two years and have to transfer, but it puts you on the right track. I know you only get two years after Junior College, but you go into it ready to play."

As far as recruiting goes, the versatile receiver is keeping his options open.

"Tennessee, Miami, Arizona State, Illinois, and Kansas are recruiting me hard. I'm still wide open right now and I'm not looking for an early decision because I don't want to regret something so I'm taking all of my five visits."

What is he looking for in a program?

"I want to see how the players go about their everyday business and I want a good bond with the coaches for sure. I want to go to a winning program. Not necessarily someone who's going undefeated, but I want a good program."

Miami is a school that has been on Lauderdale a good amount, receivers coach Brennan Carroll in particular.

"Coach Carroll and Coley are recruiting me. Coach Carroll is a funny guy and he came to my school twice already. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take an official there. He messages me on Facebook and Twitter too."

Something that caught Lauderdale's attention with Miami is the fact that Andre Johnson is a player he looks up to.

"They've been a good program and my favorite receiver is Andre Johnson so that kind of threw me off when they told me I had a scholarship offer. I just know they've been a good program for years and it's always been about that U."

Tennessee seems to be a school that is sticking out for him as well.

"I like them because I like the SEC conference and I'm from back in Georgia. They have a lot of freshmen coming in so they're not as mature. I think they have like five or six receivers on scholarship so they're in need of some receivers."

**Lauderdale would have 3 years to play 2 seasons.
**He compares his game to Mario Manningham because at 6'2", he can play both the slot and outside.

Here are Lauderdale's highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1516831/eric-lauderdale

Advertisement
Advertisement
Happy the young man was able to get things sorted out in his life. Wish him all the best wherever he goes.

'Cane On.

Guy looks good but it doesn't make sense for us to go after JUCO. We are loaded at WR for the next few years and most of our guys will be juniors and seniors when he would be here from 14-15. It probably makes more sense to go with a high school senior for depth sake, but I would still take him if he wants in. Baller.

Nice use of "circuitous". That's showing out with a 4.40 thesaurus time and might get you the coveted 5th star and an offer from Merriam-Webster.

Advertisement
Curious that HM didn't give him financial assistance. I thought those schools regularly gave out "schollies" so that kids like Lauderdale can go. Surely this isn't the last time a big time athlete couldn't afford that school.

Guy looks good but it doesn't make sense for us to go after JUCO. We are loaded at WR for the next few years and most of our guys will be juniors and seniors when he would be here from 14-15. It probably makes more sense to go with a high school senior for depth sake, but I would still take him if he wants in. Baller.

Elite talent is always going to draw an offer, but from a macro, roster management perspective, I agree with you. This kid would be put right into the wheel house of our strength.

Yea Tenn is way out in front but he is a stud and i hope we stay on him he might change his mind or like Sandland have some online courses the SEC can't accept..

Advertisement
If im a JUCO wr I don't look at UM and say it's the best situation especially compared to Tennessee. I think this dude can really play but he has 2 years to show what he has and at Tennessee he would start but here he really has to fight

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back