Burgess Becker Has No Leaders

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 Monarch (Fla.) athlete Shawn Burgess Becker was one of the many participants at the Rivals Five Star Challenge in Chicago and was looking to prove himself to big time scouts.

“It’s a lot of competition, so you gotta bring your A game. It’s like there is no time to waste up there, you have to stay on point because some plays you give up can cost you in your ranking.”

Burgess-Becker went to Chicago and competed not only as a receiver, but also as a defensive back. Despite his love for scoring touchdowns, he has no preference for position.

“I was swapping up there at both so I was all over the field. I like to get in the end zone, but you can do that on the defensive side of the ball as well, so where ever the team needs me I’ll play.”

The 2015 star player is recovering from a shoulder injury, but is still helping his team with their workouts.

“Everybody is working out right now, so I’m motivating them to be better players on the team because big players make big plays.”

The Monarch product’s recruitment has absolutely exploded, dating back to his first offer from Alabama and then receiving offers from Miami, Florida, LSU and others.

“It’s a great feeling to be in the position I am in. It’s just motivating me more to be a better player and to get prepared for the next level. It reminds me to get better each and every day.”

Despite the large number of schools he has attracted there are a few more he is looking to hear from.

“I would like to hear from FSU, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State and all those other big schools.”

While Burgess-Becker has a tremendous list of schools, he is still keeping everything even with no leaders.

“Honestly, to tell you the truth I don’t really know right now. I want to take more visits and see more places.”

The stud prospect talked a little about the hometown team and how he plans to visit soon.

“I haven’t been speaking with the coaches yet too often but I’ll go check it out sometime this week or next week and keep in contact with them.”

When asked what attracts him to the hurricanes, location was a main factor.

“Just because it’s the home school, it’s great because I can stay around my family and they can watch me play so that would be great.”

As far as goals for next season, Burgess-Becker has a simple goal.

“I’m not really worried about stats wise, I’m just really worried about our team and getting them to the playoffs.”

*Burgess-Becker will also be competing with the Florida Fire in the I-M-G National Tournament

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back