BTW DE Ronique Robinson has unlimited potential

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The trend of basketball players moving over to the gridiron continues to gain traction. Just last year at this time, a little-known recruit named Demetrius Jackson had decided to give football a try. In less than a year, Jackson blossomed into one of the top prospects in the country and became a consensus 4-star recruit who is on his way to Miami.

One of the major reasons Jackson was able to progress so quickly was because of the help of his coaches at Booker T. Washington. The same program that molded Jackson has taken on another project, Ronique Robinson. Robinson (2015) is a 6-7, 240-pound defensive end who recently transferred from La Salle, where he focused almost exclusively on basketball.

“Last year was my first year playing in high school. I had played little league, but then in like 6th grade I got too big so I just switched to basketball,” Robinson explained.

Robinson said that the football coaches at La Salle encouraged him to take up football, so he did so. He explained his move to Booker T.

“It was my home school plus I was tired of losing. I am committed to football now,” said Robinson. “As soon as I got to Booker T, coaches have been coming and seeing my size and are immediately interested. It feels good knowing that being at a different school can give me more opportunities.”

Due to his size and athleticism, Robinson has some versatility on the field.

“I can stand up or play D-End. I will probably play both defensive end and a little bit of goal-line tight end too.”

Robinson is sure to have multiple offers as spring football carries on, but for now there is a select group who has reached out.

“I know Miami is very interested and so is Florida State and Minnesota. It’s all a surprise to me because when I was at La Salle, this wasn’t happening at all.”

I spoke to Booker T. Washington Head Coach, Tim Harris, Jr. about his team’s newest toy.

“He has that look, but we just need to get the dog out of him,” said Harris, Jr. “Demetrius looked the same way last year.”

Robinson also listed Oregon, Alabama, and UF as schools he is interested in.

Advertisement
If nothing else we got an inside guy. Wonder if the BTW guys would advise another DE to sign with the U? Maybe he can add 15 lbs this year, red shirt and add another 25 and play DT. Be interesting keeping an eye on him. Hopefully they can bring the "dog" out of him. We can use a very tall 280 lb athletic red shirt DT.

Advertisement
This is Calais Campbell-esque size. Now, Calais weighs like 300 lbs for the Cardinals. Could this kid hold that kind of weight Pete? A 6'7, 285 lbs 3-4 end :eekeyes:

Advertisement
His height makes it unusual not impossible like a 6 footer playing NBA center. No one thought TEs could be 6'7 either.

Advertisement
Clowney is 6'5" tall, so Robinson would be an edge setting SDE/DT in our system a la Cambell or Allen Bailey (3rd year DE for KC Chiefs).
http://www.nfl.com/player/allenbailey/2495116/profile

He would definitely need to red shirt.

Go Canes

[video=youtube_share;4FCTiwqHmgo]http://youtu.be/4FCTiwqHmgo[/video]
[video=youtube_share;2KI0Cvi3mgY]http://youtu.be/2KI0Cvi3mgY[/video]

Last edited:
Clowney is 6'5" tall, so Robinson would be an edge setting SDE/DT in our system a la Cambell or Alvin Bailey. He would definitely need to red shirt.

Go Canes

Not sure who Alvin Bailey is, since I don't follow the NFL or the rest of college football that much. I googled and found an Alvin Bailey playing OL for Seattle, and a small WR for UF.

Do you mean Allan Bailey? The overrated big DT who played here, supposed to set the world on fire but became just a fairly decent DT?

Didn't Bailey end up playing inside in a 4-3? Did Campbell ever play inside in our 4-3?

I'm not a big fan of redshirting these kids, because if they have that much potential, they probably end up losing a year by leaving early. Let them pump, get bigger and play a bit on special teams and mop-up, let them get acclimated to game conditions. This kid could be 260-270 or bigger anyway by the time he gets into college.

This kid would have to be a DE in a 3-4, I would think.

Clowney is 6'5" tall, so Robinson would be an edge setting SDE/DT in our system a la Cambell or Alvin Bailey. He would definitely need to red shirt.

Go Canes

Not sure who Alvin Bailey is, since I don't follow the NFL or the rest of college football that much. I googled and found an Alvin Bailey playing OL for Seattle, and a small WR for UF.

Do you mean Allan Bailey? The overrated big DT who played here, supposed to set the world on fire but became just a fairly decent DT?

Didn't Bailey end up playing inside in a 4-3? Did Campbell ever play inside in our 4-3?

I'm not a big fan of redshirting these kids, because if they have that much potential, they probably end up losing a year by leaving early. Let them pump, get bigger and play a bit on special teams and mop-up, let them get acclimated to game conditions. This kid could be 260-270 or bigger anyway by the time he gets into college.

This kid would have to be a DE in a 3-4, I would think.

To be fair its Allen Bailey lol

Advertisement
Here is a highlight of Robinson's high shool In white; Lasalle vs Westminster, he is #6 the kid is huge but appears to lack explosion. I can definitely see why the BTW staff said he plays soft.

Lasalle vs Westminster fall 2013 ( Robinson is the WR in white wearing #6)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1552995/highlights/80938674

2nd meeting of Lasalle vs Westminster in 2013 playoffs ( Robinson is #6 in white. He missed a few chances to lay the wood on peel back blocks, which leads one to believe he shy's away from contact)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1552995/highlights/93993069

Advertisement
Back