Bruce Feldman doesn't think we skate

NorthFlaCane

Senior
From @The_Reid: how bad are the sanctions Miami could be looking at? Penn State territory?

At this point, no one really knows exactly how severe the sanctions will be. As I wrote in the spring, I've heard that Miami is likely to self-sanction another post-season this year at some point in the fall. I suspect that'll happen no later than after Miami loses for the second time this fall, which realistically could be by late September/early October. It might happen sooner than that. That'd mean, technically, that UM would've self-sanctioned two post-season bowl bans.

Given the severity of what actually happened at Penn State, I don't see the NCAA coming down with a punishment equal to what Mark Emmert just dropped on PSU. Penn State re-defined what we think of as a scandal as it relates to college sports, especially in regards to a cover-up and abuse of power, and all of the harm that it led to.

I could see the NCAA going with something along the lines of a three-year post-season ban and 10 scholarship hits per year on Miami though—adding to what the school already had imposed on itself. It'd be worse than USC's punishment but not at the level of what Penn State just got.

UM people will also point out that the school has cooperated with the NCAA. Back when USC got hammered a few years back, we heard plenty about how AD Mike Garrett handled the NCAA investigation only inflamed the situation, and it's no stretch to think that attitude only added to level of punishment. Still, with the USC case, the NCAA was essentially going after one player, albeit as then COI chairman Paul Dee (yeah, the same former Miami AD linked to this Nevin Shapiro mess ironically enough) said a “high-profile” athlete, whereas there have been dozens of UM players allegedly involved, and many of them were punished by the NCAA in 2011.

Beyond USC and Penn State, we've also seen recent NCAA justice as it relates to UNC, Ohio State and UCF. The Miami case that it seems to be most similar to of those five is UCF. (The Knights were “cited” for a Lack of Institutional Control and have to sit out a post-season in both football and basketball, were fined $50,000 and will be limited to 20 scholarships and 80 total for football over the next three years, among other punishments. Miami certainly appears to be headed for a LOIC charge, but who knows exactly what the NCAA can prove from the litany of things Nevin Shapiro detailed in the Yahoo report? It looks worse than UCF.

How much, if anything, will be connected to Al Golden? I'd expect Golden would make the case that whatever the assistant equipment guy (Pee Wee Allen) may have done wasn't something he would've had any knowledge of. Is that viable? How many new head coaches know what the backgrounds and involvements of staffers who aren't full-time assistant coaches are in such a quick transition?

“What I wonder with Golden and others is with this new proposed presumption of knowledge will COI members be looking to make an example out coaches in this case?” Dr. David Ridpath, Assistant Professor of Sports Administration at Ohio University told me Friday morning.

From @Scottiemo1: you think Hurtt resigns? Penalties possible for cards?

This is another fascinating subplot in the scandal. I'd be surprised if Clint Hurtt is a Louisville coach for the 2013 season. Friday morning brought the news that Florida receivers coach Aubrey Hill, a former UM assistant also mentioned in the Nevin Shapiro scandal, was stepping down for “personal reasons.” I've been told by multiple sources that the Miami coach that was most tied to Shapiro was Hurtt. Eventually, when the NCAA sanctions Miami and who knows exactly when that is, there is going to be fallout felt at some other programs. Whether he “resigns” or Charlie Strong is left with no choice by the NCAA to get rid of him because of sanctions placed on Hurtt, my hunch is Louisville will have to hire a new defensive line coach.

Even if Hurtt is now helping the NCAA in its' investigation here, it creates an intriguing dynamic given that he's recruiting against his former school, a program he can finger, yet he could continue on with his career, especially since he and his new program are benefitting from what he was reportedly heavily involved with at the previous place? That doesn't seem plausible.

As for Louisville being penalized for hiring Hurtt, I don't see how that could happen, but I'm sure the NCAA is going to examine very closely his recruiting tactics from his days at Miami to everything he has done at U of L.

Advertisement
I wonder if he even thought it out to himself before he wrote this. Miami would self-impose 2 bowls, then lose a 3rd, AND lose 10 scholarships a year? **** USC only lost 2 bowls and didn't have a season ****ed up by suspensions and didn't have 2 recruiting cycles ****ed up by media hype.

I wonder if he even thought it out to himself before he wrote this. Miami would self-impose 2 bowls, then lose a 3rd, AND lose 10 scholarships a year? **** USC only lost 2 bowls and didn't have a season ****ed up by suspensions and didn't have 2 recruiting cycles ****ed up by media hype.
The NCAA doesn't give a **** about our recruiting cycles.

Stopped reading after "penn state territory?" Really?? REALLY????

again, nothing but speculation. Feldman is as clueless as anybody not on the NCAA committee.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't get how he can think our case is worse than UCF's when the AD was directly implicated. I loved the book or whatever but I'm going to disagree with Bruce for sure.

I usually agree with most of his stories, and he hasn't dragged the U in the mud nearly as much as most of the media. But, definitely have to disagree with him on this one.

nile-in-sudan.jpg

De-Nial

Not just a river in africa

We fcuked

Advertisement
Highly doubt we get LOIC....NCAA rule books are clear here. The administration or head coach has to show gross negligence...asst coaches ARE NOT part of that equation. People that have screwed up have paid a price...suspended players, Hill, etc. Notice Shannon just got hired at TCU....if it was a head coach issue doing things wrong Shannon would not have been hired by TCU. Im calling 15 schollies...tops...3 years probation.

Advertisement
Feldman can pucker up and french-kiss by fuzzy.

He doesn't know diddly squat. And THEN elects to ignore significant differences between us and PSU or USC, or even Ohio State.

Plus, it's not like our football program benefitted in the LEAST - and you have no further to look than our record. Jeez. Let's just continue to beat a dead horse.

we are probably getting something less severe than what feldman said but we are NOT skating

Our infractions are not as severe as USC, UNC or UCF and should not receive LOIC. The problem is our story has gotten more coverage than anyone but Pedo St., and no matter what the NCAA might say that is going to factor into their decision.

Advertisement
Back