Breaking: ACC members sign Grant of Rights, no mas poaching!

bomb

Band
Banned
Solidifies conference, heads off poachers. Any school leaving would yield TV rights.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22116192/acc-approving-grant-of-rights-deal

JEREMY FOWLER
College Football Insider

ACC approves Grant of Rights deal
April 22, 2013 1:36 pm ET

(UPDATE 2:30 EST) Goodbye $50 million exit fee.

The ACC announced a Grant of Rights agreement among its 15 members.
CBSSports.com reported earlier today the ACC presidents were in the process of clearing this with their departments. The agreement will go to 2026-27, the duration of the league's contract with ESPN. The deal is not official just yet but, barring an unforseen snag, will be completed.
Unless a league member decides to go to litigation to escape this down the road, the ACC believes a Grant of Rights will protect it from conference realignment poachers.

The North Carolina-based David Glenn Show reported the news Monday afternoon.

A Grand of Rights, in basic form, is written permission from league members to relinquish control of television rights to the league for the duration of the deal. There's a correlation between the GOR and the ACC's push for a 24-hour channel that would mirror the format of the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12.

The league is evaluating the viability of a channel with ESPN, which is gathering info and will get back to the league soon. From what I'm told, league members are encouraged about those talks so far.

I'm not yet sure what the GOR means for the ACC's lawsuit with Big Ten-bound Maryland over the $50 million exit fee the league put in place last year. Maryland and Florida State were the only league members to vote against the exit fee.

Considering inflation would only devalue that exit fee in the coming years, a GOR is a sound move by a league that feels its portfolio is stronger than given credit for in the realignment game.

The ACC is on the lower end of the power-conference revenue structure, to be sure. But its model -- $17.1 million per team in media rights value, plus a Notre Dame kick of $1 million plus per school and the potential for more via the ACC channel -- isn't exactly broken.

The Big 12 was the last conference to implement a Grant of Rights. SEC schools can leave that conference whenever they want, but they aren't doing that anytime soon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130422/acc-grant-of-rights/?mobile=no

ACC's 15 member schools agree to Grant of Rights deal

Commissioner John Swofford said the Grant of Rights illustrates members' "continued solidarity."

The three-year odyssey of wholesale major conference realignment could soon come to an end.

The ACC announced Monday that its 15 member schools will sign a Grant of Rights, which will prevent the conference from being poached. The conference has been in talks "in earnest" about the Grant of Rights for about a month, according to a person with direct knowledge of the talks.
While the "Grant of Rights" is one of those quintessential realignment terms that can make eyes glaze over, this is incredibly significant progress for the ACC.

"This is the first recent indication of the long-term promise of mutual stability in one of the conferences most likely to be affected by future realignment," said Kevin O'Malley, a sports media consultant. "It is really significant."
Essentially, this announcement protects the ACC from other leagues -- the Big Ten and Big 12, specifically -- taking its teams. For the next few decades, no teams will be able to leave the ACC without sacrificing their media rights, hence giving those schools no value to the leagues looking to expand.

Theoretically, this would protect the 15-member ACC through 2026-27, which is the length of the league's current contract with ESPN. That's a similar model to the deals in play in the Pac-12, Big 12 and Big Ten, all of whom have Grant of Rights agreements in place.

"This announcement further highlights the continued solidarity and commitment by our member institutions," said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. "The Council of Presidents has shown tremendous leadership in insuring the ACC is extremely well positioned with unlimited potential."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130422/acc-grant-of-rights/#ixzz2RDkB2bT6

total conference re-alignment game changers. Ends all of the realignment in it's tracks pretty much. My question is how does it change our television revenue? I read on Twitter that ACC member institutions could receive $20 million per year. Does that seem right? What's our current contract? That seems like a huge amount of money!

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
total conference re-alignment game changers. Ends all of the realignment in it's tracks pretty much. My question is how does it change our television revenue? I read on Twitter that ACC member institutions could receive $20 million per year. Does that seem right? What's our current contract? That seems like a huge amount of money!

Thanks in advance

I think we become more valuable because the networks know that there will be stability and teams won't be leaving. A possible ACC network would be the ****.

Advertisement
Back