Brandon McGee

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
One of the keys to the game if we are going to win Saturday IMO.

You go back for years and watch highlights of GT and they always have a huge play (or 8) on the pitch. The common theme is that downfield a GT receiver has put a CB on his back and might even be blocking another player as well. This is the kiss of death against them because the interior guys are usually bottled up pretty good.

McGee looks like a completely different player this year, especially from a physical standpoint.

I know a lot of people have us left for dead in this game (and I guess I can't really fault that) but VT has actually played very well against GT in the past and physical cornerback play can go a long way in keeping this one close. Washington is going to make some plays but he can't hold Colin Klein's jockstrap.

Advertisement
Good point. Our DLine & LB play will most likely be softer/weaker than it was last year, but our DB play could definitely be better which would help minimize any big runs on the pitch or deep passes. They always seem to have a couple deep passes. They also lost Stephen Hill (WR) to the Jets, so that hurts their deep game a lot. Anyone know what their receivers are looking like? They usually have one burner.

I thin McGee is most important because he is going to be the guy guarding the only wide receiver GT has...this year, its Jeff Greene. That GT wide out is always good for a few ball busting catches in the game.

Advertisement
this is a little bit off topic, but one of the keys is time of possession. GT tends to have very long drives (unless they bust one open). i can see an offensive game plan similar to BC where we throw lots of short passes (particularly when Morris cannot thrown downfield with any success) and keep possession. GT/AL Groh will know this so it will be interesting to see how Fisch/Golden plan around this. if we can get this win and then win against NC State the following week, I would feel a lot better about our ND/FSU/VT (the future cluster***).

I thin McGee is most important because he is going to be the guy guarding the only wide receiver GT has...this year, its Jeff Greene. That GT wide out is always good for a few ball busting catches in the game.

Yes this definitely ties into it. GT capitalizes on secondary breakdowns for long TD passes. McGee being a vet should be better suited to deal with this.

Not just for this game for the season going forward. To at least have 1/2 the field taken care of should allow the safeties to 'cheat' a bit more towards the other side and the line of scrimmage. Very glad that he's having the senior season we all hoped he had in him.

Advertisement
Not just for this game for the season going forward. To at least have 1/2 the field taken care of should allow the safeties to 'cheat' a bit more towards the other side and the line of scrimmage. Very glad that he's having the senior season we all hoped he had in him.

Agreed with you and Irv.

I'm telling you, McGee and VT could be massive in this game. I know people are terrified about Perryman being out but Gaines has experience and is physical. Its a huge drop off but against GT I honestly don't think its as important as other games.

I think you can look at McGee and Dorsett as two prime examples of what we have been missing as far as S&C go.

Good point. Our DLine & LB play will most likely be softer/weaker than it was last year, but our DB play could definitely be better which would help minimize any big runs on the pitch or deep passes. They always seem to have a couple deep passes. They also lost Stephen Hill (WR) to the Jets, so that hurts their deep game a lot. Anyone know what their receivers are looking like? They usually have one burner.

"they also lost demaryius thomas so that hurts their deep game a lot.".....

How you feeling here man?

I hate myself for it but I'm starting to come around. This GT offense is such a joke compared to KSU.

Ugh. Setting myself up.

as far as the game goes?

i feel like we'll win for some reason. but you know i went full ****** in the preseason

Advertisement

lol, ole livin in a coma for two years rollin

They won't out physical us, we just need to stick to our assignments. Our gap control defense should actually work better against GT than anyone else. Take away the dive and force everything to the outside, just like Golden wants and we should be fine bc there's no passing threat straight up. Our DBs will be close to the LOS

as far as the game goes?

i feel like we'll win for some reason. but you know i went full ****** in the preseason

Yeah as far as the game.

Couple things I can't shake:

An interview with Randy Phillips after the first time we beat them up. He was talking about how you just can't stand and watch and can't try to do things you aren't supposed to do. If you do that their offense is a joke.

I swear it was Dallas Crawford that got a ton of praise last year getting the team and coaches prepared for the game, and he has been doing the same thing this year.

Advertisement
It's not like GT has better athletes, it's the system that allows them to rack up the yards when defenses don't play assignment football and shed the chop-blocks like they're supposed to do. They've just been making too many mistakes this year to believe they'll all of the sudden get it for this game.

Advertisement
Back