Boomer says they are getting it on purpose

Well, you have to make assumptions-
1. That the virus you get now is the virus that will be floating around later (probably will evolve)
2. That getting the virus means that you develop antibodies preventing reinfection (unknown reinfection rates)
3. That the antibodies will last through the year (who knows, maybe the window of immunity is very small)
4. That there will not be serious unknown side effects to the coronavirus (like chicken pox infection can lead to shingles)
5. That some of the players will not get it so severely that it is life threatening (taking a big chance, my uncle was in pretty good health, but was on death's doorstep from coronavirus, was in coma for 4 days but thankfully recovered). Obviously teenagers will probably have better immune systems, but I wouldn't want my child to get it.
6. That they would be able to keep this secret. What's the #1 rule of conspiracies? The bigger the numbers involved, the bigger the chance that someone will leak something. I don't see 80+ players being able to keep a secret if they are being deliberately affected.
RE:4 - Lord. No chance, it’s nothing like herpes virus. It’s not going to hide out in nerve bundles for 20 years and re-emerge. It’s not that kind of virus. Sheesh.

Stop trying to scare people with misinformation.

Gator Hatar

Senior
You can't just can't go and get the virus. Being irresponsible, not wearing a mask, keeping safe distance and avoiding crowded areas, will increase your probability, but still no guarantee. Lastly I don't accept the premise a bunch of pro and college football players have conspired and agreed to efforts to catch Covid-19. Putting themselves, friends, associates and families at risk. The USA will never come together to do the things necessary to minimize the virus because of a litany of reasons we can all identify.

TheOriginalCane

All ACC
RE:4 - Lord. No chance, it’s nothing like herpes virus. It’s not going to hide out in nerve bundles for 20 years and re-emerge. It’s not that kind of virus. Sheesh.

Stop trying to scare people with misinformation.

I don't think he is trying to spread misinformation, he is just listing "assumptions" necessary to build the case for intentionally trying to establish herd immunity.

There's a lot we still don't know about Covid-19, plus it is mutating (as many flus/viruses do).

TheOriginalCane

All ACC
I don't think he is trying to spread misinformation, he is just listing "assumptions" necessary to build the case for intentionally trying to establish herd immunity.

There's a lot we still don't know about Covid-19, plus it is mutating (as many flus/viruses do).
It is misinformation. It’s nothing like the herpesviruses. It doesn’t have a latent phase. It doesn’t sit dormant. Also, viruses don’t “evolve”. They mutate.

If you do a logic though thought problem on one likely scenario for this novel coronavirus is that over time it mutates to a less virulent form through a process of natural selection. Which virus mutation is more likely to propagate? One that kills its hosts along with itself, or one that keeps its host the least sick, and the most asymptomatic, for the longest period of time, thereby allowing greater spread. It’s a possibility this thing mutates into being similar to one of the other Coronaviridae that cause common colds. It’s just speculation, but unlike Darwin’s finches, viruses are not complex life forms. They are barely life forms, and therefore have scant outward expressions of mutations to differentiate themselves from other mutated strains. One of those is it’s virulence to the host.

Just pure rank speculation on my part, but better and more likely than saying it could become like chicken pox.

Jesus. One guy. One.

And he’s 40.

But you really have to search for his age in that article.

Bccrhp

Sophomore
There is plenty of evidence out there of people being reinfected. Not to mention there have been more than a dozen strains identified. Herd immunity is effective but not absolute.
Not true. Lots of literature out there now showing that early reports of "reinfection" were actually PCR-based tests detecting lingering viral RNA. "Reinfection" would imply active viral replication, immune clearance, and then a new, separate round of active viral replication.

TheOriginalCane

All ACC
It is misinformation. It’s nothing like the herpesviruses. It doesn’t have a latent phase. It doesn’t sit dormant. Also, viruses don’t “evolve”. They mutate.

If you do a logic though thought problem on one likely scenario for this novel coronavirus is that over time it mutates to a less virulent form through a process of natural selection. Which virus mutation is more likely to propagate? One that kills its hosts along with itself, or one that keeps its host the least sick, and the most asymptomatic, for the longest period of time, thereby allowing greater spread. It’s a possibility this thing mutates into being similar to one of the other Coronaviridae that cause common colds. It’s just speculation, but unlike Darwin’s finches, viruses are not complex life forms. They are barely life forms, and therefore have scant outward expressions of mutations to differentiate themselves from other mutated strains. One of those is it’s virulence to the host.

Just pure rank speculation on my part, but better and more likely than saying it could become like chicken pox.

I think that you and I agree, for the most part. You and I understand the virus mutating, while other people hear that word and think we are talking about the X-Men. I've probably even used the terms "changing", "evolving", and "mutating" interchangeably, even though I realize they are not the same terms on a definitional level.

And while you have solid logic and explanation, that is not what every 20 year old kid is thinking of. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but I think that Timebomb was just listing reasons why kids wouldn't voluntarily submit themselves as test subjects to attempted herd immunity. I don't think he was building a blanket argument for or against voluntary submission to attempted herd immunity.

Of course, we have at least one person on this board who suggests that the athletes didn't voluntarily submit, in which case, we have an even larger conspiracy theory which involves adults with multi-million dollar jobs putting themselves at legal risk by intentionally infecting the entire team. Presumably with smallpox Covid-infected blankets like we gave to the Native American Indian tribes.

I do think some programs have "higher than expected" Covid-infection rates, and I'd be willing to bet that statistic corresponds to certain regions of the country that are more dismissive of masks and social distancing measures (plus, you know, 18-22 year olds).

TheOriginalCane

All ACC
Jesus. One guy. One.

And he’s 40.

But you really have to search for his age in that article.

Again, I agree with you. But he's not in the "susceptible" category of being over 60 either.

And until we know more about why athletes at the age of 22 (or even the pro athletes aged 25-35) are not as impacted, while a very healthy and athletic person at age 40 is impacted heavily, we are still dealing with unknowns.

Sure, we can play roulette, we can take our chances. But as long as we have actual incidences like the one I linked, it is still a risk to submit VOLUNTARILY, as if it's some kind of chicken pox party. The better and safer approach would be to avoid contracting Covid-19 altogether.

Let's just remember the thread we're posting on. The one where Boomer thinks that multiple universities are intentionally trying to get all of the athletes infected with Covid-19 now, so they won't get it during November and December.

Last edited:

305to954

All ACC
Because it’s election season the media is making this issue as illogical as it possibly can. Going for Herd immunity is the smartest approach and also being out in the sun to strengthen your immune system as well. This is the new reality some ppl are just going to die and most ppl are going to live. Hiding in ur damn house like a fat pig for a year straight will do nothing but make it easier for this virus or anything else to kill you.
Okay Thanos

CFLCane

Junior
Not true. Lots of literature out there now showing that early reports of "reinfection" were actually PCR-based tests detecting lingering viral RNA. "Reinfection" would imply active viral replication, immune clearance, and then a new, separate round of active viral replication.
They still have no idea if the antibodies prevent reinfection much less at what rate. The Herd immunity theory is nothing more than a shot in the dark.

KrazyCane

SAVAGE
Clownshoes….it's just a guide. Nobody knows for sure. But you have to draw the line somewhere. You can't say you have to have a mile between people. 6 feet is an appropriate distance for particles to travel (or really, not travel). Nobody would ever say at 5.99 feet you're dead and 6.00 feet you're 100% safe. I know it's hard for you because you have a very average, at best, IQ...but try to be reasonable for once in your life. 6 feet is just the number that says, "Hey, if you stay 6 feet away from people, you're probably OK". Nobody ever said you can't get infected at 6 feet, nor did they say you're guaranteed to get it within 6 feet.

But it's very contagious and 19 year old kids who don't give a **** and touch all the same stuff, each other, share women, blunts, joysticks, forks, knives, cups, doors, shake hands, etc...yes, it can run though a close group of people like that very quickly.
It’s a lot of mentally ill ppl out here attacking ppl out of panic bc they felt the other person was closer than 6 ft away from them as if the virus pops out of thin air if you’re not 6 ft apart from each other.

You can’t say it’s just a guide when all of the misinformation about this virus has been used to spin ppl in circles all year.

We just saw 30,000 ppl crowded in an arena for George Floyds funeral packed by all of the politicians and honest media members that said this virus was too deadly for everyone else to have a funeral for the loved ones that died during this pandemic.

They still have no idea if the antibodies prevent reinfection much less at what rate. The Herd immunity theory is nothing more than a shot in the dark.
It’s much more than a shot in the dark.

Let me help you out, if you want to make a more sound argument.

A better argument is that other coronaviruses have been out in the wild, for God knows how long, giving people colds. Is the cold curable, or that treatable, with anti-virals?

The other side is that that if a vaccine is a possibility, then so is herd immunity, though, so just bear that in mind.

1LuvCane

All ACC
It’s a lot of mentally ill ppl out here attacking ppl out of panic bc they felt the other person was closer than 6 ft away from them as if the virus pops out of thin air if you’re not 6 ft apart from each other.

You can’t say it’s just a guide when all of the misinformation about this virus has been used to spin ppl in circles all year.

We just saw 30,000 ppl crowded in an arena for George Floyds funeral packed by all of the politicians and honest media members that said this virus was too deadly for everyone else to have a funeral for the loved ones that died during this pandemic.
It's the same thing as hurricane coverage in So. FL. complete fear mongering....