Bensley Joseph [is not hurt]

Does anyone know what the issue is or hold up with signing? Coming up on a year since he committed but still not signed/on campus. Any particular reason?

20210702_202918.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wooga was a 3-star? They are fixing to eat that one.
That was my other surprise. Even in the day of “no hidden gems”, there are still some players who just aren’t recognized for their skills. And this is a guy who played for a well known AAU program, and was most definitely jumping out of the gym even in high school which is usually good enough to make a player a 4 star.

That was my other surprise. Even in the day of “no hidden gems”, there are still some players who just aren’t recognized for their skills. And this is a guy who played for a well known AAU program, and was most definitely jumping out of the gym even in high school which is usually good enough to make a player a 4 star.
True but I also think their rankings are a bit different for basketball. Based on the initial post he was 117 OVERALL recruit. That is a high 4* for football. I get it so many less positions with BBALL and Jospeh was a 4* at 100 so maybe 100 is the cut off for 4*. I do like Wooga and to say he is a 3* seems like a bad or missed eval but having him at 117th in the country seems about right. He needed some work coming out of HS and is starting to come into his own. Maybe slightly underrated but I also would say he was overranked if he was say a top 40 player. I expect those guys to be able to contribute pretty quickly.

Advertisement
Wooga was a 3-star? They are fixing to eat that one.
Player development matters.

For real though… L saw Wooga as a potential superstar early on, but this board saw (and said plenty about) why he was not an elite HS recruit.

Wooga’s potential + L’s coaching and development == $$$$$$$

player That was my other surprise. Even in the day of “no hidden gems”, there are still some players who just aren’t recognized for their skills. And this is a guy who played for a well known AAU program, and was most definitely jumping out of the gym even in high school which is usually good enough to make a player a 4 star.
I do think the ranking has been correct. He was basically unplayable as a freshman. He was good last year, but as a role player; he didn't average double figures and never had to carry the load. He even went scoreless in the final 4 and no one really noticed. In a sport where guys contribute right away, I don't think that ranking is unfair.

This is the year he can really blow up and outperform imo.

True but I also think their rankings are a bit different for basketball. Based on the initial post he was 117 OVERALL recruit. That is a high 4* for football. I get it so many less positions with BBALL and Jospeh was a 4* at 100 so maybe 100 is the cut off for 4*. I do like Wooga and to say he is a 3* seems like a bad or missed eval but having him at 117th in the country seems about right. He needed some work coming out of HS and is starting to come into his own. Maybe slightly underrated but I also would say he was overranked if he was say a top 40 player. I expect those guys to be able to contribute pretty quickly.
There are levels to the player rankings in basketball. Best way I can break down the projections for you are:

#1 - NBA Stardom
Top 5 - Lottery picks
Top 30 - Potential 1st rounders & High Majors prospects
Top 60 - High Majors
Top 120 - High & Mid-Majors
Top 150 - Mid Majors
Top 200 - Mid Major to Low D1
After 200 - Low D1 and below

Of course, none of this is an exact science, but more or less how the cookie usually crumbles.

Advertisement
I wonder if his HS evaluation wasn't negatively affected somewhat by the Covid pandemic. Fewer games, fewer scouts to see them?? 2021 was a year there may indeed have been more recruits flying a bit under the radar.
That's quite possible. He was a prolific scorer coming out of Philly.

Under appreciated by canes fans and underrated by the national media. But those in the know, know.

It’s a luxury to potentially bring him off the bench this year (while still logging starters minutes). And he’ll play a huge role fast tracking Bethea in 24-25.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back