Basketball: Davon Reed Talks Commitment

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I know there is a basketball board, but nobody ever goes over there. I just did a story on Davon Reed, a 4-star from New Jersey that committed to Larranaga and staff on Friday:

The University of Miami isn’t known as a basketball school, but new commit Davon Reed is trying to change that perception. The 6’6 wing man from Princeton, New Jersey committed to the ‘Canes last Friday despite holding offers from the likes of Wake Forest, Xavier, and Memphis. Reed spoke about his decision to attend Miami.

“I loved everything from the coaching staff, to the actual atmosphere on campus playing style, everything really. It just felt right.”
Second year Head Coach, Jim Larranaga is one of the main reasons Reed decided to choose Miami.

“This is a guy that’s been to the final four and made deep tournament runs. He wants to win a national championship now in the best conference in the country. I like his preserved coaching style. He’s a great mentor and teacher. I’ve learned so much from him already and he hasn’t even coached me yet.”

Reed is looking forward to playing alongside two other young talents, Shane Larkin and Bishop Daniels.

“Both of them can really play. I got a chance to run up and down with them at an open gym. Shane can shoot the ball and is a really good facilitator and Bishop is a really athletic guard. We’ll be able to do some really good things.”

What does the 4-star New Jersey native bring to the floor?

“I can knock down open shots from the perimeter. I’m versatile from the defensive and offensive side of the floor. I just try to bring as much to my team as possible.”

After being recruited by Miami for months, Reed will now focus his attention on recruiting for the ‘Canes.

“Hopefully I attract some other big names around me so we can make some noise. Austin Colbert, Reggie Cameron, Josh Hart, and JaJuan Johnson are players I’ll be talking to.”

Reed has some lofty expectations for the basketball program within the next two-to-three years.

“Definitely up there winning conference titles and hopefully if everything goes well and we work hard enough then we can compete for national titles too.”
Rivals.com rates Reed as the #97 player in the country with a 4-star rating.

Advertisement
no prob.. I'm trying to get more involved with the basketball stuff so expect more to come

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back