B2G Sports 7-on-7 recruiting notebook

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
This past Saturday, 16 of the top 7-on-7 club teams in south Florida competed against one another in the B2G Sports Elite 16 7-on-7 camp in Fort Lauderdale.

I got the chance to talk to some of the top Miami targets from across the state about their recruitment.

2015 Trinity Christian DB Kevin Toliver:

Toliver, who is rated the number one cornerback in the country by 247sports.com, got the chance to visit Miami on Friday, March 7, the day before the tournament. He did so with his 7-on-7 teammates, from Pro Impact which is based out of Jacksonville.

"The first time I went to Miami, it was for the Al Golden camp. That was right after my freshman year, before my sophomore year. Then, they were still building stuff so now everything is new like the locker room and stuff so it was real nice," said Toliver.

However, Toliver has been committed to LSU since November of 2012. So what are some other schools that are coming after Toliver hard.

"Auburn, Ohio State, and UCLA are all coming hard," said Toliver.

2015 Monarch ATH Shawn Burgess-Becker:

A name that should already be well-known in the 'Canes recruiting community, Shawn Burgess-Becker had planned to commit with his best friend, Calvin Ridley, back in February, but backed out at the last minute. Shawn was sidelined with a couple minor injuries he said. Burgess-Becker says he isn't sure if he will participate in spring practice.

He confirmed with me that him and Ridley will be announcing on National Signing Day. Also that his list of top schools remains the same with: "Alabama, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, and LSU."

Shawn attended the most recent junior day Miami had which was during the basketball game vs. Notre Dame in late February.

"We actually took the night tour, drove around the campus and met a couple of people, so you know it was fun you know," said Burgess-Becker.

Wide-receivers coach Brennan Carroll is Burgess-Becker's lead recruiter from Miami. So what does Carroll tell Burgess-Becker?

"He just tells me how I will fit into the system down there. Also that me and Calvin can come down there and change things," said Burgess-Becker.

2015 Trinity Christian Academy LB Jeffery Holland:

A key part of the Trinity Christian state title team this past season, Holland plays linebacker in pads, but is such a good athlete, he plays receiver for his 7-on-7 team, Pro Impact.

Holland is a physical player with offers from just about every big-time school in the country. Standing at six-foot-two, 230-pounds, Holland has a great body. He also got the chance to visit Miami on Friday March 7.

"The coaches were just saying that I could come play. We got a chance to go over all of the schemes on the board. We just had a great time," said Holland. "We also got to tour the campus I just had a great time. I got to have one-on-one talk with (Linebackers) coach Barrow and then coach Golden. We had a great time."

2016 Champagnat Catholic WR Darnell Salomon:

Salomon was one of the top five performers at this event in my eyes. He is a legit deep ball threat but also showed his ability to make catches in traffic.

Salomon really made a name for himself this last season as he helped Champagnat Catholic win the program's first state championship.

The six-foot-two, 180-pound wide-out says his biggest offers are from Alabama, LSU, Florida, FSU, and Clemson.

He says he plans on visiting Georgia, Alabama, and LSU this summer.

Salomon holds an offer from Miami and hears from running backs coach Hurlie Brown the most from Miami.

Advertisement
Toliver and Holland sound like longshots and Salomon is still a long way from signing day.

Advertisement
My daughter who grad FSU several years ago, heard me discussing why Jacksonville players don't come to Miami. She made an interesting comment, that her view from knowing a couple of cats from Jacksonville (Leon Washington was one) is that they seem intimidated by S. Florida. She said they were always trying to prove they were just as good as people from S. Florida. Another kid told me that at grad night they all stick together chanting DUVAL! Like they had a need to be recognized. My former HS teammate who played on Clemson's last NC Team and lives in Jacksonville told me Jacksonville kids scared to come down to Miami. He said they country boys who only wanna go where they can be around other Jax people.

I know this isn't scientific, but I think there is a shared intimidation by kids from Jax to get out of their comfort zone. So Jax will always be a shared territory by both small town schools in N. Florida. There are probably more high schools in Dade, Broward and PB than there are between Jax and Pensacola combined. The fast paced big city environment takes they out of their comfort zones. Only the ****y who want a big stage in a big stage city will ever come here.

Advertisement
Back