Article: Random Thoughts… Early St. Patty’s Day?

View as article

TexCane

Sophomore
March 12, 2013: Every American becomes Irish for one day each year, St. Patrick’s Day. Green beer flows in rivers and bars across our land. This year is no different with one additional factor thrown in. The Big East Conference and Notre Dame today announced Notre Dame will be leaving their old conference and joining the ACC this summer, almost two years early. An agreement was reached yesterday between the two parties.

What does this early arrival mean for the ACC? Do other dominoes begin to fall? With the ACC soon to be 15 schools, is a 16th school far behind? If so, who might that school be? Notre Dame’s agreement with the ACC does not include football. However, with the new playoff system just over the horizon, it will be difficult for independents to be included in the playoffs. Is Irish football membership in the ACC far behind? All are simple questions. It’s the answers that are more complex and difficult.

Many feel the ACC will be the first “Super Conference.” This agreement today will only feed those rumors. However, the ACC will only consider a 16th member if Notre Dame agrees to be become the 15th football member. Let’s say the Irish at some point join as football members. When will that happen? Who would the conference consider as the 16th member. Some feel it will be a high academic institution. Others say it will be a school that brings a large TV market/audience. Still others will push for a geographically friendly school. Finally, some want the most competitive football program.

Will Notre Dame ever give up their independence? I believe they will and must join a conference. Why? First, the Irish will find it difficult, if not impossible, to win a national football championship without conference affiliation. Second, money and lots of it. Notre Dame’s exclusive TV contract with NBC runs out after 2014. There’s no guarantee of another big TV payday, especially for a school that will be on the outside looking in for a national championship. It makes sense for Notre Dame to join the ACC in football for the 2015 season.

IF the Irish join the ACC in football, who will be the 16th conference member? A high academic school might include Navy, which sits in the middle of the huge Baltimore-Washington area TV market. Navy is also a long-standing Notre Dame opponent. How about Cincinnati? If you’re looking for a large TV market, who might be candidates? UConn? Temple? Navy? Cincinnati? What about geographically friendly? The ACC’s strategy is to control the populous northeast. UConn and Navy fill the geographic gap in the ACC map. But what about a strong tradition as a football power? Hmmm. West Virginia? Yea, the Mountaineers are in the Big12. For now.

As you can see, the answers are tough. But one thing is for sure. Green beer this weekend!

Tex

Advertisement
I'm Irish and my fams hates ND more than anything. They look at it as a complete embarrassment to the culture, and if anything they find The Fighting Irish offensive. I'm not going to let some ****** football team ruin St Pattys for me

Advertisement
I'm Irish and my fams hates ND more than anything. They look at it as a complete embarrassment to the culture, and if anything they find The Fighting Irish offensive. I'm not going to let some ****** football team ruin St Pattys for me

You're Irish? Or, do you mean you have an Irish surname? Big, big difference. Where were you born in Ireland?

They are named after a church in France!!!! What the **** does Irish have to do with a church in France!! They should be called the fighting Fleur De Elisse!!! Not a **** thing to do with Ireland or Irish, Notre Dame is a ******* church in FRANCE!!! ***** EM! But I'll still dance a jig, drink a pint and have a shot of whiskey for dear ole st. pat, oh danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling

Advertisement
ND should have been made to join in all sports as a condition of joining the ACC. As for the a 16th team, I'd take Cincinnati or Temple. F UConn.

Catholic 7 schools will keep Big East name, expect to begin new league this fall, sources tell @espn
5:52pm - 28 Feb 13

Departure of Catholic 7 schools this fall could mean Notre Dame joins ACC in 2013 instead of 2014, sources tell @espn
5:55pm - 28 Feb 13

Well that would change the schedule huh

------------------------------------

Hey Problem...

ND will not join ACC before 2015 season. They have a exclusive contract with NBC Sports through 2014. Do some research mane!

Tex

Good call.

You're Irish? Or, do you mean you have an Irish surname? Big, big difference. Where were you born in Ireland?

I'm not but my father on up have either grew up in an Irish neighborhoods or lived in Ireland. I'm just saying how they feel about it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Will Notre Dame ever give up their independence? I believe they will and must join a conference. Why? First, the Irish will find it difficult, if not impossible, to win a national football championship without conference affiliation.

Didn't Notre Dame play for the BCS championship this year?

Advertisement
Back