Article: Cole Talks Canes

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Miramar was in search of a big replacement when five-star cornerback Tracy Howard graduated and moved onto college. 2015 CB Tyrek Cole
seems to be picking up where Howard left off.

Cole is the starting corner for the powerful Miramar defense that is averaging around 17 points per game allowed.

“We are trying to get the offense on their feet right now, because the defense is holding its own, but we gotta get the offense on point.”

Playing in South Florida, Cole has to face some of the best receivers in the country. Somebody that he had to cover earlier this year was Northeast's star, Stacy Coley.

“After the game everybody was congratulating me, even he (Coley) told me to keep working and said I did a great job. My coaches and friends
were all telling me great things.”

While Cole is replacing Howard, he did learn some valuable tips from the Miami freshman.

“He taught me how to watch film and how to study. He also told me to play with confidence and swag, because when you play with those you
play better.”

Cole happens to play with one of Miami’s big 2013 targets in linebacker Jermaine Grace . He spoke about what it’s like to play with
Grace.

“It makes you feel confident when he is on your side. He is like a monster, so he can get the job done. He is all over the field making
tackles.”

While the sophomore corner is still young, he is being looked at by many colleges.

“It’s going alright, I’m getting looked at by Florida, the Florida DB coach (Travaris Robinson) comes to the school and Miami and West
Virginia too.”

The Miramar product has high interest in the 'Canes.

“Yeah, I love Miami. I like the swag that they play with.”

Miami may have advantage with two former Miramar players on the team in corner Tracy Howard and receiver Malcolm Lewis.

“It helps them (Miami) out, because they already got Tracy Howard and they can get a great linebacker in Jermaine Grace.”

Cole will be attendance for next Thursday's game against Virginia Tech.

Advertisement
Tyrek Cole Season Statistics
16 tackles (9 solo, 7 assists), 1 Tackle for Loss, 17 Passes Broken Up, 0 Interceptions
Receivers Cole has covered have only caught 6 passes all season long.
He also had 5 Interceptions as a freshman on JV last season.

16 tackles (9 solo, 7 assists), 1 Tackle for Loss, 17 Passes Broken Up, 0 Interceptions

Kid is an animal!

Kid is an animal!

Do you have his ht., wt., 40 time numbers?

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165lbs
40yd: 4.62 (He ran that as a FRESHMAN, fyi. Will test higher as he matures physically)

Advertisement
4.6 is plenty good at that age. He will get stronger and learn how to run the 40 better anyways.

Cole had his first Varsity Interception today, against Western QB and SEC recruit (UF Offer, Alabama interested) Wade Freebeck. Cole's play has been steadily increasing as the season has worn on. Definitely one to watch in 2015.

Cole had his first Varsity Interception today, against Western QB and SEC recruit (UF Offer, Alabama interested) Wade Freebeck. Cole's play has been steadily increasing as the season has worn on. Definitely one to watch in 2015.

Cam,
What's your take on Freebeck? There are rumors he has a UF offer.

[video=youtube;yGaP7NIV7bU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGaP7NIV7bU[/video]

Advertisement
Spoke to Larry Bluestein about Freebeck, says he is one of the better and more complete QB's he has seen this year and wouldn't be surprised if he can carry the western team to states.

Cam,

Freebeck does indeed have a UF Offer. There are conflicting reports as to whether that offer is commitable or not.

As a player, Freebeck has good height (a legit 6'3"-6'4"). He has a live arm, and figures to add arm strength as he fills out. He can be accurate, but his accuracy is inconsistent (if that makes sense). When he puts the ball on the money, it's ON THE MONEY, regardless of pressure or coverage. However, that isn't every throw.

He's a classic pocket passer whose mobility is negligible. He was hampered by an ankle injury (which I heard him discussing with his coach prior to gametime when I was on the field). However, I don't think that changed his inability to escape constant pressure from the Miramar Darkside Defense.

After watching film of Freebeck (thanks, Miramar Coaches), and seeing him play in person, I'm very, VERY skeptical of him as a big time BCS level recruit. He's only a junior, so he has time to improve, but what I saw on Monday night did not appear to be National Championship caliber play, as I had been led to believe I would witness.

Since I like giving concrete numbers to support my opinions, I'll leave you with Freebeck's stat line from yesterday's ballgame:

4/26, 23 yards, 2 interceptions, sacked twice
Receivers didn't do him any favors, dropping 5 or 6 passes. Defense also dropped 3 more would-be interceptions thrown pretty much right to them.

Need I say more?

Spoke to Larry Bluestein about Freebeck, says he is one of the better and more complete QB's he has seen this year and wouldn't be surprised if he can carry the western team to states.

^^^^^^ And, with that statement (and similar ones), you now know why I pay zero attention to High School Skip Bayless.

Advertisement

Cam,

Freebeck does indeed have a UF Offer. There are conflicting reports as to whether that offer is commitable or not.

As a player, Freebeck has good height (a legit 6'3"-6'4"). He has a live arm, and figures to add arm strength as he fills out. He can be accurate, but his accuracy is inconsistent (if that makes sense). When he puts the ball on the money, it's ON THE MONEY, regardless of pressure or coverage. However, that isn't every throw.

He's a classic pocket passer whose mobility is negligible. He was hampered by an ankle injury (which I heard him discussing with his coach prior to gametime when I was on the field). However, I don't think that changed his inability to escape constant pressure from the Miramar Darkside Defense.

After watching film of Freebeck (thanks, Miramar Coaches), and seeing him play in person, I'm very, VERY skeptical of him as a big time BCS level recruit. He's only a junior, so he has time to improve, but what I saw on Monday night did not appear to be National Championship caliber play, as I had been led to believe I would witness.

Since I like giving concrete numbers to support my opinions, I'll leave you with Freebeck's stat line from yesterday's ballgame:

4/26, 23 yards, 2 interceptions, sacked twice
Receivers didn't do him any favors, dropping 5 or 6 passes. Defense also dropped 3 more would-be interceptions thrown pretty much right to them.

Need I say more?

Cam leaves no stone unturned. Thank you sir.

Advertisement
Back