Armbrister working to prove he belongs

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
thurstonarmbrister.jpg

Coming out of Hollywood Hills High School four years ago, Thurston Armbrister was an unranked recruit who many Canes fans were questioning why he was even offered. After a highly productive career at Miami, Armbrister is still working to prove the naysayers wrong.

“I didn’t have any offers. I’ve always been an underdog and it gives me a reason to work harder. I felt like I had proved myself enough to get invited to the combine, so I need to continue to work harder and get better,” Armbrister said.

Armbrister’s production increased each year at Miami. The 6-3, 235-pounder started all 13 games his senior year and tallied 8 TFL, 5 sacks, and 2 FF.

“It says a lot about my work ethic. In the offseason, I diagnosed what I needed to work on and I would work on it as hard as I can for the next season. I still have room to grow with my body and I’m excited to see what I can do at the next level,” Armbrister explained.

Looking ahead to the NFL, Armbrister brings a lot to the table from a versatility and upside perspective.

“With my skillset, I can do a lot of things. I’m big enough to play in the box and stop the run. I’m fast enough to cover slot receivers. I’ve developed my pass-rushing enough to beat top offensive linemen, so it just says a lot about my versatility.”

The product of talent-rich South Florida is willing to do anything to stick in the league.

“I try to not think about what my role is going to be. I will adjust and adapt to whatever coaches ask me to do.”

With pro day at Miami coming on April 1st, Armbrister is busy training for his opportunity to impress scouts.

“I’m working out every day, doing a lot of physical therapy to get rid of the nicks and bruises from the season, and I’m really focusing on my pass-rush and linebacker drops. I do a lot of defensive back footwork drills as well to keep my skills sharp.”

Pro day is Armbrister’s chance to show NFL teams what they would be getting in him as a prospect.

“I want to continue to prove that I’m a better player than people give me credit for. All I do every day is come in and work hard and keep my mouth closed. I have to show at my pro day that teams will be getting a fast, strong, versatile, and dependable linebacker that is accountable.”

Back in January, Armbrister had the opportunity of competing in the Medal of Honor Bowl.

“I got to encounter a new coaching staff that taught me a lot of new things with technique. I was able to compete against better talent, especially some of the tight end-linebacker battles which taught us a lot.”

He felt good about his performance that week, where he was able to highlight his versatility.

“I feel like I destroyed the practices and felt like I was one of the better defensive players there. I played all three linebacker positions and played some defensive end too.”
There is one moment that really sticks out to him when he looks back at his time in orange and green.

“My biggest memory is sharing that victory over Florida at home and how I was a key factor in that win.”

Armbrister added that he studies the likes Jamie Collins, Ray Lewis, Von Miller, and Luke Kuechly at his position.

Advertisement
Totally wasted here. The light finally came on and then.. POOF..he graduates. Smh. Should have redshirted. Our depth wasnt great but it couldn't have been that **** bad back then. We could have used this kid this year. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a "Spencer Adkins" type career in the NFL. If he runs a 4.6 or better he will turn some heads.

Totally wasted here. The light finally came on and then.. POOF..he graduates. Smh. Should have redshirted. Our depth wasnt great but it couldn't have been that **** bad back then. We could have used this kid this year. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a "Spencer Adkins" type career in the NFL. If he runs a 4.6 or better he will turn some heads.

Agree, Jassid. Credit Golden's staff for finding the kid. TA got better every year at the U, as well, actually showed development. But they lost the best year they would have had out of him. If he had been a RS Senior coming into this season, he would have turned a ton of heads, I believe.

I'll be rooting hard for the young man. And motherfvck all the jizzbags who questioned his offer because other schools overlooked him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yet another victim of the **** poor roster management this staph is famous for. Dude should be a (RS) Sr. this year.

I've always like his speed, quickness, long arms, and athleticism. He should be an OLB at about 240! He could become a good coverage guy and an average run stopper. Good luck to him, he was a good player here.

BAHAMIAN KID!

Good luck to him, he started turning it on the second half of jr year..and had a good a sr year.

Went under the radar so when nfl scouts came through practice he probably wasnt charted.

If he can run sub 4.8, it would do him well as he actually has alot of tools. Kid can play all three lb spts, and he played safety his freshman year.

I dont think he is drafted, but he is a kid that goes undrafted and sticks on a team. A guy like Zo Highsmith would see something in him and i can see him having a career. Jimmy Gaines cashed nfl checks this season. Thurst has more ability athleticlaly than Jimmy. Just needs a good fit scheme wise

Miami Dolphins could use him

Advertisement

Agree, Jassid. Credit Golden's staff for finding the kid. TA got better every year at the U, as well, actually showed development. But they lost the best year they would have had out of him. If he had been a RS Senior coming into this season, he would have turned a ton of heads, I believe.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Golden finally got one right. I love what TA did but he is all Al likes - overachievers. I have no problem with hard work and unnoticed kids, but they do a lot better when there is only a couple of them surrounded by studs. Even our beloved 2* Ed Reed had the benefit of playing in a secondary with 3 other 1st round draft picks. A little less talent and maybe some of his gambles turn into TDs instead of picks. I defended Golden for three years, now he gets credit for sucking and that is it. Man cannot admit his mistakes and fixes nothing. He thinks he is frigging Joe Pa -- who would never have lasted at THE U either.

I hope The Millionaire becomes a millionaire.

He's not much of an athlete, but I love the guy like a son.

To me, Armbrister is the personification of golden's preferred recruiting method. No one but golden (and of course Thurston Armbrister himself) gets credit for Armbrister's success.

Advertisement
Rooting for this kid big time.

After sitting thru an NFL season watching my Bears special teams unit consustently suck ***, Id kill for a guy like this covering NFL punts and kickoffs.

Advertisement
Back