Anybody downplaying this...

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
She is in non-invasive cardiology. We are in south central Pennsylvania (PennMed) and we haven’t been overrun by COVID to the extent that so many other locales have. That’s why it’s so maddening.

The idea of not wearing an N95 mask while performing a trans esophageal just doesn’t seem like a recipe for success to me.
I worded my question wrong. Are they out of PPE? They have to have some on hand.

A call to the local tv station might be in order.

Our hospital now has to sign out POE because of employee theft, but it's a CMS 5 star, so patient safety is a priority.

AutoCANE

I put my heart in this sh!t
I worded my question wrong. Are they out of PPE? They have to have some on hand.

A call to the local tv station might be in order.

Our hospital now has to sign out POE because of employee theft, but it's a CMS 5 star, so patient safety is a priority.
That's actually a great idea. They can't be out of PPE, but rationing to the extent that she indicated to me just seems foolish. They're going to end up with their entire staff in quarantine.

AmherstCane

Recruit
That's actually a great idea. They can't be out of PPE, but rationing to the extent that she indicated to me just seems foolish. They're going to end up with their entire staff in quarantine.
It is an absolute crap situation. You’re 100% correct. Sorry you’re having to deal with this. I feel your frustration. My wife is an urgent care doc being asked to reuse PPE. It’s awful, and it’s going to get a lot worse because of ignorance + political agendas.

jkaz1

Senior
Both Italy and Spain have many health care workers on the front line who've got sick - likely from lack of proper gear in at least some of those cases.

It's a good thing the multinationals in the US thought it'd be a great idea to off-shore vast amounts of the manufacturing base in this country.

We've lost much of the expertise (and the innovation that goes along with it) in these industrial sectors.

And, as has become obvious to most in the country now, we don't even have the ability to supply cheap masks to our own health care workers.

Sure would be nice to have the ability to ramp up production or have extra inventory on hand.

Poor leadership in the country for a LONG time and with leaders of multinationals allowed to sell the country's soul to save a few pennies.

Hopefully this will get some of the production back in the States in some areas, anyway.

Far too critical to the country to have virtually all the manufacturing done in far away places including in some countries which are generously only called "competitors".

Can go get f'ed. Forget all the political BS. Red, Blue, Democrat, Republican, doesn't friggin matter. This sh*t is real.

I just got a text from my wife that said that her department has been issued a directive that even if they have a patient that is confirmed COVID-19 positive, that they are not allowed to use an N95 mask while treating the patient due to lack of PPE on hand. That is preposterous, and a real life on the ground status as of right now. And this is in a state that doesn't even have that many cases in comparison to others (PA). So who knows, she may not be able to come home tonight - or for weeks - for fear of bringing the virus home to our children.

So get over your economic doom and gloom, and the idea that this is no worse than the flu. Stay in your damn house and flatten the damn curve for a few weeks.

That is all. You may now resume lobbing grenades at one another.

duke4heisman

Pro style, bro.
Can't she always quit if the negatives are that big? Maybe she can decide what's important. a pay check or her family's health.
This doesn't sound right, like she can sue for a multitude of reasons. Not to mention, if there is a mask for her to use, especially on an infected patient, isn't that what it's for? Like....ok, supply is low, sooo they just want whatever is available to sit on the shelf? Also, the White House team talked the other day about being able to sanitize and reuse them. It's not making sense.

AutoCANE

It is an absolute crap situation. You’re 100% correct. Sorry you’re having to deal with this. I feel your frustration. My wife is an urgent care doc being asked to reuse PPE. It’s awful, and it’s going to get a lot worse because of ignorance + political agendas.
I hope you and your wife stay safe. The whole thing just sucks. Never thought I would see something like this happen in my lifetime yet here we are.

AutoCANE

This doesn't sound right, like she can sue for a multitude of reasons. Not to mention, if there is a mask for her to use, especially on an infected patient, isn't that what it's for? Like....ok, supply is low, sooo they just want whatever is available to sit on the shelf? Also, the White House team talked the other day about being able to sanitize and reuse them. It's not making sense.
I saw an article today that Duke med has found a legit way to sanitize and re-use with vaporized hydrogen peroxide or something. Even that would be a million times better than them saying “do not use a mask”

BoxingRobes

Junior
Masks make a difference. Even homemade masks are better than nothing if you're not readjusting them constantly.

Masks are very effective at preventing infected from spreading and reasonably effective at preventing droplets from reaching your nose and mouth.

A lot of misinformation out there. DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Its crazy that people need to do research to understand correct mask = much better; some mask = better; no mask = not better.

Legit seeing some of the dumbest takes in the past like...2-3 weeks as it relates to this.

Fools legitimately going galaxy brain at both ends of the spectrum.

HighSeas

Sophomore
Its crazy that people need to do research to understand correct mask = much better; some mask = better; no mask = not better.

Legit seeing some of the dumbest takes in the past like...2-3 weeks as it relates to this.

Fools legitimately going galaxy brain at both ends of the spectrum.
Well there were" experts" saying any mask but N95 is worse than no mask, and N95 is "mostly for preventing transmission from infected". It was actually a really common take ~3 weeks ago. People were misled by irresponsible professionals. They wouldn't have arrived at these conclusions independently without being told as such.

BoxingRobes

Junior
Well there were" experts" saying any mask but N95 is worse than no mask, and N95 is "mostly for preventing transmission from infected". It was actually a really common take ~3 weeks ago. People were misled by irresponsible professionals. They wouldn't have arrived at these conclusions independently without being told as such.
Bad takes are bad takes.

This crisis has been a premier example of people talking about shyt before they know ANYTHING. At all levels.

This virus is far more nuanced than ever projected and this information - while still incomplete - is still coming to light.

Antcane

Goes to games
Cool, thx 4 the analysis

Afraid is not the word. Annoyed is the word. Annoyed that somehow we as a nation are in a situation where my wife can enter a patient room to perform a test but has been told she cannot protect herself. Annoyed that it may mean that she cannot be home during the day to watch the kids while I am working from home, which means I cannot get any work done. Etc etc

The economic impact is real...the human impact is real...it's a damn mess out there.

We just need to take it seriously and get through the next few weeks / months...and then continue being vigilant until a vaccine is ready. This will have lasting impact on all of our lives both socially and economically. I'm afraid to even look at my 401k right now.

If anything...the world needs to absolutely crush China in every possible diplomatic way for allowing this scourge to travel the globe. Their cover up attempts may take an entire generation to get over.
She doesn't have to do anything she dosen't want to to do and neither do you.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
I saw an article today that Duke med has found a legit way to sanitize and re-use with vaporized hydrogen peroxide or something. Even that would be a million times better than them saying “do not use a mask”
Unfortunately N95 protections break down even wirh moderate length use. The barriers dont hold up.well against respiration and perspiration.

Thats why they are often disposable.