Anybody downplaying this...

AutoCANE

I put my heart in this sh!t
Can go get f'ed. Forget all the political BS. Red, Blue, Democrat, Republican, doesn't friggin matter. This sh*t is real.

I just got a text from my wife that said that her department has been issued a directive that even if they have a patient that is confirmed COVID-19 positive, that they are not allowed to use an N95 mask while treating the patient due to lack of PPE on hand. That is preposterous, and a real life on the ground status as of right now. And this is in a state that doesn't even have that many cases in comparison to others (PA). So who knows, she may not be able to come home tonight - or for weeks - for fear of bringing the virus home to our children.

So get over your economic doom and gloom, and the idea that this is no worse than the flu. Stay in your damn house and flatten the damn curve for a few weeks.

That is all. You may now resume lobbing grenades at one another.

For_The_U

All ACC
Can go get f'ed. Forget all the political BS. Red, Blue, Democrat, Republican, doesn't friggin matter. This sh*t is real.

I just got a text from my wife that said that her department has been issued a directive that even if they have a patient that is confirmed COVID-19 positive, that they are not allowed to use an N95 mask while treating the patient due to lack of PPE on hand. That is preposterous, and a real life on the ground status as of right now. And this is in a state that doesn't even have that many cases in comparison to others (PA). So who knows, she may not be able to come home tonight - or for weeks - for fear of bringing the virus home to our children.

So get over your economic doom and gloom, and the idea that this is no worse than the flu. Stay in your damn house and flatten the damn curve for a few weeks.

LOL Great last line. And even better avatar, btw!

Sorry to hear that about your wife. Hope she doesn't get sequestered from you and your family.

I am one of the people who has been analyzing the economic side vs the public safety side, for sure. Please understand though, that in no way means I don't think it's serious or I think it's "just the flu". My family has been taken precautions long before our government told us to.

Zombie-Cane

Freshman
Sorry, but looking at the numbers drastically looking better than the BS the media has forced down our throats, I am downplaying it quite a bit. I understand your concern and frustration, and I wish you the best, while I am over here getting F'ed.

Pelican45

Freshman
We’ve been told by our experts that the masks don’t protect you. Experts in other countries say they do.

Experts vs experts. Who do you believe?

Go Canes!!

All ACC
I’m just curious. If we stop making doom and gloom predictions about the economy, will masks magically appear for everyone who needs one?

PCBcanefan

99 problems but FSU ain’t 1
Problem is if they shut the country down for any significant amount of time, the deaths are probably going to be higher than the virus deaths. You have millions of families that live paycheck to paycheck and if they lose their jobs, the measly $1,200 per month isn't going to cover their costs. Now you are talking people getting so depressed that suicide, drug over doses, rioting, burglary and much more is going to start rising. Then the after affects once they all come out of the lock down, and our county is no dug a hole worth trillions of dollars that will eventually be taxed through everyone.

They need to find a solution to keep the majority of the people working, but isolating the sick and most vulnerable. Why can't we just lock down all the sick and vulnerable and allow the rest to continue working, but maybe add curfews and assistance to the most vulnerable. There has to be a better solution than shutting down the whole country.

Last edited:

AutoCANE

You’re afraid. OK.
Cool, thx 4 the analysis

Afraid is not the word. Annoyed is the word. Annoyed that somehow we as a nation are in a situation where my wife can enter a patient room to perform a test but has been told she cannot protect herself. Annoyed that it may mean that she cannot be home during the day to watch the kids while I am working from home, which means I cannot get any work done. Etc etc

The economic impact is real...the human impact is real...it's a damn mess out there.

We just need to take it seriously and get through the next few weeks / months...and then continue being vigilant until a vaccine is ready. This will have lasting impact on all of our lives both socially and economically. I'm afraid to even look at my 401k right now.

If anything...the world needs to absolutely crush China in every possible diplomatic way for allowing this scourge to travel the globe. Their cover up attempts may take an entire generation to get over.

Cool, thx 4 the analysis

Afraid is not the word. Annoyed is the word. Annoyed that somehow we as a nation are in a situation where my wife can enter a patient room to perform a test but has been told she cannot protect herself. Annoyed that it may mean that she cannot be home during the day to watch the kids while I am working from home, which means I cannot get any work done. Etc etc

The economic impact is real...the human impact is real...it's a damn mess out there.

We just need to take it seriously and get through the next few weeks / months...and then continue being vigilant until a vaccine is ready. This will have lasting impact on all of our lives both socially and economically. I'm afraid to even look at my 401k right now.

If anything...the world needs to absolutely crush China in every possible diplomatic way for allowing this scourge to travel the globe. Their cover up attempts may take an entire generation to get over.
There is no correlation between the paucity of masks and whether people take this seriously or not. In fact, if there is a correlation, it would indicate that people are taking it very seriously. I’m really struggling to understand your point

AutoCANE

There is no correlation between the paucity of masks and whether people take this seriously or not. In fact, if there is a correlation, it would indicate that people are taking it very seriously. I’m really struggling to understand your point
People advocating for going back to normalcy = more people infected = more opportunity for my wife to be exposed to this stupid chinese virus

That's all. Just saying...let's not rush it. The economic damage is already done, and was unfortunately inevitable. It's all China's fault.

Pelican45

Freshman
Problem is if they shut the country down for any significant amount of time, the deaths are probably going to be higher than the virus deaths. You have millions of families that live paycheck to paycheck and if they lose their jobs, the measly $1,200 per month isn't going to cover their costs. Now you are talking people getting so depressed that suicide, drug over doses, rioting, burglary and much more is going to start rising. Then the after affects once they all come out of the lock down, and our county is no dug a hole worth trillions of dollars that will eventually be taxed through everyone.

They need to find a solution to keep the majority of the people working, but isolating the sick and most vulnerable. Why can't we just lock down all the sick and vulnerable and allow the rest to continue working, but maybe add curfews and assistance to the most vulnerable. There has to be a better solution than shutting down the whole country.
You’re not going to lock me down or enforce a curfew on me because of my age. Period. I’m not sure where the line is, but that’s on the wrong side of it.

People advocating for going back to normalcy = more people infected = more opportunity for my wife to be exposed to this stupid chinese virus

That's all. Just saying...let's not rush it. The economic damage is already done, and was unfortunately inevitable. It's all China's fault.
First of all the economic damage is not already done, I don’t know where you get that idea.

Nobody wants to rush it, but if you think this is tenable past another, let’s say, four weeks, you’re living in fantasyland. Will have to come up with a different paradigm at that point

Pelican45

Freshman

The economic damage gets worse day by day. I don’t advocate ignoring this and going back to business as normal. But, it is true that every additional day damages the economy further.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.

The best to you, your wife, family, and her colleagues as we continue to work through this difficult time.

1LuvCane

Senior
Cool, thx 4 the analysis

Can't she always quit if the negatives are that big? Maybe she can decide what's important. a pay check or her family's health.

paksat

Junior

I mean my stupid basic af theory has been just build more hospitals and breathing machines

I don't get why i'm so bad at it but I guess I am and someone tell me why?