All-American OL Brahms has Miami high on list

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
nickbrahms.jpg

A major position of need for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2017 recruiting cycle is offensive line, especially as new coach Stacy Searels looks to retool with his own guys. 2017 OL Nick Brahms (6-4, 285) of Navarre High School is one of the prospects Miami’s radar.

The four-star Brahms projects as an interior lineman in college, but plays mostly tackle at the high school level.

“I have quick feet and that really helps in the run game. I think run-blocking is my strength, but I can pass-block well too,” Brahms said. “Some schools see me as a tackle, and other see me as a guard/center. I prefer right guard or left guard because you can get nastier in there. At tackle you’re on an island by yourself and you have to be a
little longer.”

Offensive linemen can often be some of the most interesting characters on the field. Brahms explained that he likes to let his actions do the talking.

“Sometimes I’ll let them know about it if they are talking trash, but I prefer to just put people in the dirt and go right back to the huddle and then do it again the next play,” he said.

The number 10-ranked guard in the country by 247sports.com, Brahms said that Auburn, North Carolina, and Miami are the three schools recruiting him the hardest at the moment. He also said that he has been in touch with Stanford, but that no offer has come from them yet.

If Brahms were to choose Miami, it would be a lifestyle adjustment coming from Florida’s panhandle, but it's not something that he's opposed to.

“It’s a beach town up here. Miami would definitely be a culture shock, but I would be able to get used to it. I’ve been there before and I liked it a lot. When I went down there, it was like 68-70 degrees, which is like one day out of the year (laughs),” he said.

As previously noted, Brahms’ primary recruiter has been Stacy Searels. The two have become close recently and Brahms’ position coach at Navarre is in favor of the Hurricanes.

“He’s a great guy (Searels). He’s so intense when he coaches and we have built a relationship over the last two months. He knows my high school coach really well and he wants me to go there because of him,” Brahms said.

The Army All-American Brahms is a fan of Mark Richt’s coaching style.

“He’s top of the line when it comes to getting work done. He was a great coach at Georgia and I really think he is going to change the culture down there. He’s about discipline and getting things done on time and I think he’s definitely one of the best in the business,” he said.

Brahms said that he will be in Miami on July 15th and 16th for camp. He will be visiting North Carolina, Auburn, and Duke this weekend and also wants to check out Oregon and Stanford at some point. He also noted that he wants to make his decision prior to his season.

[HUDL]athlete/2955577/highlights/318166378[/HUDL]

Advertisement
One of my favorite prospects. Y'all gotta watch him in the OL vs. DL NOLA drills

[video=youtube;NWeXhPhm8BQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWeXhPhm8BQ[/video]

Advertisement
“He’s a great guy (Searels). He’s so intense when he coaches and we have built a relationship over the last two months. He knows my high school coach really well and he wants me to go there because of him,” Brahms said.

This

Really want him in this class. To me he's like a Rich Mans Nick Linder. Smart kid that could play all 5 if needed.

Advertisement
Biggest thing working against us for Brahms is his sister attends Auburn.

But will she stay once Malzahn is fired?

LOL,what?

Haha. Just making light of Malzahn potentially being on hot seat could (hopefully) negate any pull of the sister being there. Any idea if anyone else in his family went there as I personally would have no allegiance or increased interest in a school if it was just my sister going there.....unless she had some majorly hot or ****** friends.

One of my favorite prospects. Y'all gotta watch him in the OL vs. DL NOLA drills

If we can pull Alex and Nick....man, I wouldn't know what to do w/ myself. I would crown Richt and staff immediately.

Yes. Rebuild the OL with players who belong. We have several useless bodies now on the OL that need to get gone. Bring in more studs like this please.

How many OL we looking to bring in this class?

Advertisement

Watching that video just makes me want Leatherwood so much more. Guy will be a beast and future top 10 draft pick. No reason we should be letting him out of Miami. He should be our top target of any recruit especially with our OL issues.

Watching that video just makes me want Leatherwood so much more. Guy will be a beast and future top 10 draft pick. No reason we should be letting him out of Miami. He should be our top target of any recruit especially with our OL issues.

Yup. Leatherwood looks like a great prospect. But he ain't from Miami. He's from Pensacola, IIRC, which sure ain't our draw area.

Yup. Leatherwood looks like a great prospect. But he ain't from Miami. He's from Pensacola, IIRC, which sure ain't our draw area.

Sadly correct. Leatherwood is my favorite recruit in this class. The entire class.

Advertisement
Biggest thing working against us for Brahms is his sister attends Auburn.

Very true and Tuition at Miami is double Auburn's OOS Tuition so her transferring to Miami would probably be out of the question, just to be with her little brother, not to mention we don't know what her Fin Aid package looks like at Auburn. An good knows the $EC admin folks would not be above sweetening her Aid package to help land her brother if they need to. An as a parent to get both your kids a free decent education, it would be a hard to turn down if it were presented.

But lets hope their sibling bond can be strengthen by distance (Miami to Auburn), with the old saying absence makes the heart fond, an there is always skype.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back