Al Golden Camp Observations (June 1st)

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Most of the big names at the first Al Golden Football camp of the year were not participating unfortunately. It seems like each year we have seen a decrease in the number of top-flight prospects competing in camp mostly because they don’t think there is much to gain if they already have a Miami offer. Here are some notables who were on hand but did not participate:

Champagnat Catholic TE/DE Devonaire Clarington – Was getting major attention from Miami coaches as would be expected. Standish Dobard was seen conversing with Clarington, as well as Clive Walford for a short period.

Miramar OL Leeward Brown – The Miami commitment Brown was in attendance watching the offensive line group for most of the day. It would have been nice to see him in action in what was otherwise an underwhelming group of offensive linemen.

Royal Palm Beach LB Charles Perry – Perry committed to Miami at a camp last year and he looked thrilled walking around with his family and decked out in Canes gear. Al Golden pulled him and his family aside and was speaking to them for a few minutes. It is obvious that he remains a top priority for Miami as he continues to rack in impressive offers. Perry has a nice frame to work with.

Champagnat Catholic OL Chidi Valentine-Okeke (2016) – This was the sight of the day. Valentine-Okeke, who will be only a junior next season, might be the most physically imposing prospect I’ve ever seen. He is not far off in terms of size from Miami sophomore lineman Sonny Odogwu and he still has two years left of high school. He holds a Miami offer and I expect for him to rise up the national rankings once his time comes.

Champagnat Catholic WR Darnell Salomon (2016) – Yet another ultra-talented prospect from Champagnat, Salomon holds offers from the likes of LSU, Alabama, Florida, and Miami. Salomon was spending a lot of time with Miami freshman receiver Tyre Brady on the sidelines.

Coconut Creek WR Binjimen Victory (2016) – Miami offered Victor during the spring. He was there with two of his Coconut Creek teammates.

Coconut Creek CB Malek Young (2016) – Young will be a name to keep an eye on over the next few months.

**Here are some of the standouts who actually participated on Sunday:

Tampa Plant DT Kyle Henderson – Henderson lacks height at the defensive tackle spot, but is wide and can move very well. Although the offensive line group was not incredible, he dominated as he was supposed to. He is a plan-B type for Miami at the position.

Dwyer DE/OLB Alex Davis – Davis is a very intriguing prospect. He is 6-5, 210 and the captain of Dwyer’s basketball team. He won DL MVP today and his length was giving the offensive linemen fits. He is not there technique-wise, but showed a mean streak and could blossom into a major prospect over time.

Palmetto QB Jack Allison (2016) – Allison is the total package at QB. He is 6-5 with great arm talent and some mobility. Shows the ability to put touch on his passes as well. Coley was all over him.

Council Rock North (PA) QB Brandon McIlwain (2016) – McIlwain is one of the top-ranked players at his position for his class, so it was nice to see him make the trip down. Exceptional athlete who is still learning the position. He is more of a dual-threat guy so I’m not sure how he would fit in the offense, but extremely talented nonetheless.

Royal Palm Beach QB Toddy Centeio (2017) – I mentioned Centeio a few months back after seeing him at a couple of 7-on-7 events and he really impresses me each time I see him throw. His delivery is elongated right now, but that can be worked on. He has great am strength, athleticism, and size. It is crazy to think how good he can be in three years.

**Some high school coaches in attendance for today’s event include Tim Harris, Jr. (Booker T. Washington Head Coach), Roland Smith (Miami Central Head Coach), Mike Tunsil (Champagnat Catholic Head Coach), and Ahmad Ward (Homestead offensive coordinator). It is always a positive to have coaches from talent-producing schools out at camp. It gives them an up-close look at Miami coaches in action.

Advertisement
Pete, What do you think of McIntosh? Rivals says he names us the leader after his family attended camp with him today.

Advertisement
Okeke-Valentine is already a high four-star recruit in the 247 composite rankings and holds offers from FSU, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, and Florida. A top-ranked recruit from Champagnat currently crystal-balled to LSU because of course he is. Sounds like a potential beast who will have all the big-time programs clamoring for him in 2016.

Nice to hear that a couple top-ranked 2016 QBs competed, especially McIlwain making the drop down from PA as part of his summer camp tour.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Look at that field

Clarington TE
5.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Thanks for the camp round up Pete.

I agree on Henderson being a Plan B or C Type player. There are still beastly types out there both with UM offers and some others under evaluation by staff who have yet to receive offers.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back