A word from a parent on recruiting

DerpaDerp

Herring, I need some
It is scary how much importance some of you place on the elements of recruiting; like it really matters on what 17 or 18 yr old kid signs with your adopted collegiate team and its impact in your life. "I really hope we get this kid", "If we get this kid, bring us the trophy", "This kid is a flat out stud".

I see articles posted where some kid choses LSU over UMiss and is getting death threats? Is this real life? No it certainly isn't. It's a fantasy lived out through distance and personal desires never met in most cases. It leads to criticism of coaches and players in years later, where the critique is either unfair or completely baseless.

These are still young men. Raw talents that in most cases will take 2 to 3 yrs to develop and turn into qualified leaders on the field. Young men who can compete for the squad in a manner of excellence befitting the jersey they seek to wear. It is a continuation of gladiator sport from eons past without the dying at the end (unless you go to the Swamp where they actually call for young men to die on the field in bloodsport befitting their backward nature).

There is cause that many NFL stars are so secluded and I understand that now more than ever. People start asking about my own kid who graduates next year from HS and thoughts do not turn to what he's interested in for his life, but where is he going to play college ball. Who his favorites are. Where he's thinking of visiting and frankly....it's none of their business. I know some parents are such familial promotors as to shame Don King in so doing, but they seek more than a spot for their son or daughter to play college athletics under a scholarship in preparation for their life. They seek fame and glory of their own on the backs of young children. This is what the corporate machine of FoxSports, ESPNU, and SCOUT have wrought. Few are enticed to willingly pay for information on children's lives.

It is for those reasons so many of us have chosen to stay quiet regarding the whole process and refuse entreaty to disclose all of the above.

What is so interesting about this process is that so few of these signees today will actually make impact next year. They will play minor roles at best. Neither of the young qb's will be starting next season. If one plays significant minutes it will be due to an injury, no more. Few HS Senior QB's are ready for the speed of the game at an advanced level.

I say to you, step back and understand that these are kids. They will make no impact on your life, only their own.

Advertisement
It is scary how much importance some of you place on the elements of recruiting; like it really matters on what 17 or 18 yr old kid signs with your adopted collegiate team and its impact in your life. "I really hope we get this kid", "If we get this kid, bring us the trophy", "This kid is a flat out stud".

I see articles posted where some kid choses LSU over UMiss and is getting death threats? Is this real life? No it certainly isn't. It's a fantasy lived out through distance and personal desires never met in most cases. It leads to criticism of coaches and players in years later, where the critique is either unfair or completely baseless.

These are still young men. Raw talents that in most cases will take 2 to 3 yrs to develop and turn into qualified leaders on the field. Young men who can compete for the squad in a manner of excellence befitting the jersey they seek to wear. It is a continuation of gladiator sport from eons past without the dying at the end (unless you go to the Swamp where they actually call for young men to die on the field in bloodsport befitting their backward nature).

There is cause that many NFL stars are so secluded and I understand that now more than ever. People start asking about my own kid who graduates next year from HS and thoughts do not turn to what he's interested in for his life, but where is he going to play college ball. Who his favorites are. Where he's thinking of visiting and frankly....it's none of their business. I know some parents are such familial promotors as to shame Don King in so doing, but they seek more than a spot for their son or daughter to play college athletics under a scholarship in preparation for their life. They seek fame and glory of their own on the backs of young children. This is what the corporate machine of FoxSports, ESPNU, and SCOUT have wrought. Few are enticed to willingly pay for information on children's lives.

It is for those reasons so many of us have chosen to stay quiet regarding the whole process and refuse entreaty to disclose all of the above.

What is so interesting about this process is that so few of these signees today will actually make impact next year. They will play minor roles at best. Neither of the young qb's will be starting next season. If one plays significant minutes it will be due to an injury, no more. Few HS Senior QB's are ready for the speed of the game at an advanced level.

I say to you, step back and understand that these are kids. They will make no impact on your life, only their own.

Since we're throwing advice around... here's some for you: LIGHTEN UP BUD!!

:mmkay:

Most of what you say is true.

However, if passion, enthusiasm and occasional insanity aren't a part of fandom - what's the point?

Agreed. It's crazy reading some of the posts by "adults" when it comes to recruiting. With that said, this is exciting ENTERTAINMENT but you will always have those fringe fans that have a difficult time seperating real life from mere entertainment. Here's a question: is it more important to have the #1 ranked recruiting class or the #49th or 50th educational system (Alabama)? Priorities, everyone's got'em, few have them correct.

Advertisement
I can understand a parent writing that. The thought that your child could pick a college to attend and then get death threats has got to be a scary thing.

Just seeing the crap that ESPN has been doing over the past couple years is scary in and of itself. (telling kids to decommit & list a 2nd school for a couple weeks so they can hype their televised hat game, etc.) I wonder how long before ESPN will start telling kids they have to visit certain schools in an effort to hype their nationally televised signing. Once it becomes a market, people will try to profit from it.

OP makes good points. I'm as guilty as anyone of getting over-excited about recruiting, but a little perspective never hurt.

You don't think the recruiting services having been using similar tactics for years? It's all about paid subscriptions. It's all about sponsoring paid camps to get evaluated. ESPN takes it a step further by making this reality television. The kids that are handling this process well and maturely I can guarantee you have solid parents.

Yeah, OP points ARE well taken.

WE, the fanatics, often expect these kids to know what we know, believe what we believe, understand what we understand, and think like we think, and when they don't toe-the-line, we call them dumbasses, traitors, or resort to deriding their skills - or worse - their parents.

All things in perspective.

The hardest thing for me personally to keep in mind - in spite of appearances - they are kids.

I say, GO CANES - and to those who don't come here - live long - so you'll many lifetimes to regret not coming to Miami and playing here. (Star Trek fans may note I did NOT add, "prosper.")

No use getting carried away.

Advertisement
47.gif

Recruiting is the like the draft -- way overhyped for the immediate results. It is not like making a trade for an established player. Having said that, there is nothing else to do to get our college football fix, so we focus our energy on what is in front of us. Right now, Howard, Hamilton, etc. is in front of us.

Advertisement
Moderator Statement:

Please maintain a higher level of decorum when posting on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo....why are you even on the recruiting page then?

I happened to see a "Similar thread" mention in another forum mentioning the kid with death threats. So I followed it.

Look, there comes a point to where this is just far too invasive and really, did anyone have a clue who was in our 1979/1980 class? and say...that's a NC caliber squad he's putting together there?

Jim Kelly was the talk of the town, not Bernie and Vinny.

And yes, my kid is doing UnderArmour and Nike, not because we want to, but because we HAVE to now. Granted its a good thing to do since it exposes them to more coaches and makes it a more national showing, but I've come across people who have stupid draft/signing boards....for HS kids. Are you serious? How the **** is that going to benefit your life or theirs? DO what you want to do, but if this were turned around and it was 30-40 yr old men following 17 yr old girls you'd be calling the cops on them. Ok, maybe a few here wouldn't be depending on their body type, but you get my point.

I just think putting so much emphasis on needing ONE kid to make a class? That's bull****. If he blows his knee out as a Fr and can never play again...

And for perspective, someone needs to cut off Danny's fingers. Him contacting families is a booster action. I have the rules. I know what they are. He's acting as a booster and he could get the school in trouble if this ****** says the wrong thing. It affects the kid, the family, and school and HE isn't part of either.

Soooo....why are you even on the recruiting page then?

I happened to see a "Similar thread" mention in another forum mentioning the kid with death threats. So I followed it.

Look, there comes a point to where this is just far too invasive and really, did anyone have a clue who was in our 1979/1980 class? and say...that's a NC caliber squad he's putting together there?

Jim Kelly was the talk of the town, not Bernie and Vinny.

And yes, my kid is doing UnderArmour and Nike, not because we want to, but because we HAVE to now. Granted its a good thing to do since it exposes them to more coaches and makes it a more national showing, but I've come across people who have stupid draft/signing boards....for HS kids. Are you serious? How the **** is that going to benefit your life or theirs? DO what you want to do, but if this were turned around and it was 30-40 yr old men following 17 yr old girls you'd be calling the cops on them. Ok, maybe a few here wouldn't be depending on their body type, but you get my point.

I just think putting so much emphasis on needing ONE kid to make a class? That's bull****. If he blows his knee out as a Fr and can never play again...

And for perspective, someone needs to cut off Danny's fingers. Him contacting families is a booster action. I have the rules. I know what they are. He's acting as a booster and he could get the school in trouble if this ****** says the wrong thing. It affects the kid, the family, and school and HE isn't part of either.

Oh give me a break!

Are you seriously this uptight? How about teaching your kid to deal with the ups and downs of sports and quit coming on message boards to whine. Because that's what this is.

National Signing Day has been HUGE for a long long time, well before the 80's.

Yes fans can go over the top, but nobody is doing that on this board. So how about you direct your time and energy toward something you can control, like being a good parent.

You can whine on message boards if you choose... but you are ****ing in to the wind... nothing is going to change. So focus on giving your kids the tools he needs to succeed in life instead.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sugar,
Based on your comments to Derp, I assume that you believe there is a reasonable scenario where I might make a death threat at your child and you would find that something that your kid should simply roll with, yes?

Am I reading you correctly here??

Sugar,
Based on your comments to Derp, I assume that you believe there is a reasonable scenario where I might make a death threat at your child and you would find that something that your kid should simply roll with, yes?

Am I reading you correctly here??

I didn't say that. Nobody has made death threats here on this board. If fewer than 1 percent of fans are crazy, don't group the other 99 percent in with them.

There's nothing wrong with getting in to National Signing Day fever, and it's a joke to imply that there is anything wrong with it.

Also, you can't control the fact that there are nuts out there. All you can do is give your kids the tools they need to deal with life.

Advertisement
Back