A Look Back at the Class of 1999

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This offseason, CanesInSight.com will be looking back on the recruiting classes that led to Miami's rise and fall. Let's start with a class that provided the foundation of a championship offense, Butch Davis's class of 1999.

QB- Ken Dorsey
HB- Clinton Portis
HB- Jarrett Payton
FB- Talib Humphrey
WR- Andre Johnson
WR- Kevin Beard
WR- Jason Geathers
WR- Anthony Johnson
LT- Bryant McKinnie
RT- Vernon Carey
RT- Jim Sikora
DE- Kendrick Barrett
DT- Larry Anderson
DT- Marquis Johnson
DT- Courtney Young
OLB- Jerrell Weaver
OLB- Jermell Weaver
S- Maurice Sikes
S- Antwain Joyce
S- Julian Battle
CB- Phillip Buchanan
CB- Tory Mitchell

Offense- No surprise with a Butch Davis class: three first rounders (Carey, AJ, McKinnie) and three Pro Bowlers (AJ, McKinnie and Portis). The 2001 offense starts here-- Ken Dorsey at QB, Portis at RB, AJ at WR, McKinnie at LT, role players like Beard and Geathers. Butch is known for his defensive recruiting, but this is the best offensive recruiting class Miami has had in two decades.

Defense- Not Butch's finest defensive effort. Of eleven signees, only Buchanon and Sikes became starters. The Weaver Twins out of Northwestern were the centerpieces with all the hype, but they ended up making their biggest contributions on special teams. Julian Battle didn't qualify and wound up as a third-rounder with Tennessee.

Starpower- This was the first class of the Rivals.com era, and two of the five-star players (AJ and Carey) became first rounders. The third blue chipper (Jason Geathers) never found his position. The most valuable player in the class, Ken Dorsey, was a four-star player who decided to go to Miami when five-star Chris Simms committed to Tennessee (he ended up at Texas). Phillip Buchanon, a two-star unranked football/baseball player from Southwest Florida, was the biggest find of the group.

Biggest Miss- Anquan Boldin, Mr. Football from Pahokee, was close to becoming a Cane but was swayed by Bobby Bowden's promise that he'd get a shot at quarterback. Of course, he ended up at receiver. If things worked out different, he would've started opposite Andre Johnson on the 2001 team.

Grade Problems- Six of the 22 signees never made it onto UM's campus. A seventh (Talib Humphrey) only ended up there after a stop in JUCO. Even in this kind of cornerstone class, 40% of the signees never contributed.

Ultimately, this class should be remembered as the spark of the greatest three-year stretch of offense in Miami history. And it starts with a skinny kid from Orinda, California.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Those guys really put in work. Dorsey, Portis, Andre were 3 of the best at their position in college. Great stuff man.

Advertisement
Those guys really put in work. Dorsey, Portis, Andre were 3 of the best at their position in college. Great stuff man.

And McKinnie.

The thing about these Butch classes is that even the guys who didn't make it look like monsters. Butch knew what he wanted.

Also one big thing is a team needs 4 good classes to be good. You can look at our class this year and be amazed but in reality no more than 7 of those guys will be starting their junior or senior season. Our recent issues with our 2008 class wouldnt have been as noticeable if our other classes weren't terrible.

What happened to Anthony Johnson? I remember everyone on Grassy talking about him and 'Dre throughout the 2000 season and summer of 2001.

Advertisement
Jim Sikora's dad used to post on Grassy. I forgot his name but does he still post and did he make it over here?

P Buch's film is great. He just glides.

I know he was a "2 star", but did stars even count back then?lol

I agree great athlete, I think Vernon Davis' film is very similar. I am anxious to see what that kid can do. Boy we really struck out on the DL that year didn't we.

Advertisement
Amazing thread, just amazing. How the **** do you guys get these vids? I'd pay for this kind of quality.

All Sports (now known as All Canes) used to sell videos of every class after signing day. I lost my old VHS's and had to ask around to find new copies.

Luckily, TheSwagger had kept his stored so I got them from him and converted them to DVD. Then YanyCane and I cut them up and put music over them.

Works of art imo Bravo !
Amazing thread, just amazing. How the **** do you guys get these vids? I'd pay for this kind of quality.

All Sports (now known as All Canes) used to sell videos of every class after signing day. I lost my old VHS's and had to ask around to find new copies.

Luckily, TheSwagger had kept his stored so I got them from him and converted them to DVD. Then YanyCane and I cut them up and put music over them.

Advertisement
Ive gotten every single one of those, they were offered from Canestime. My copies are VHS, they started in 95

Ive gotten every single one of those, they were offered from Canestime. My copies are VHS, they started in 95

If you still have them from 95-98, I'll drive from Miami to California to pick them up and make DVD copies. You can pick the music for the highlight reels.

Last edited:
I'll have to do some digging, here, I got a whole collection of boxing tapes and anything associated with Miami football. I got an ungodly amount of tapes here, lol

If you still have them from 95-98, I'll drive from Miami to California to pick them up and make DVD copies. You can pick the music for the highlight reels.

I'll have to do some digging, here, I got a whole collection of boxing tapes and anything associated with Miami football. I got an ungodly amount of tapes here, lol

I'll trade you a healthy, Cuban child for the video of the 1997 class.

Seriously, name your price. We could put Follow the Leader for the Najeh highlights.

Advertisement
Back