Satellite Camps

CaneQueDrew

Recruit
I just read on another site that Harbaugh and Michigan are holding two camps in Florida on the same day in June. One in Tampa that's being run by Willie Taggart, and another one in South Florida that will be run by Devin Bush. I think we will start to see a lot more of these in the coming future, so these schools can have a first hand look at South Florida talent.

Advertisement
I absolutely hate the idea of these. its not right. these kids are going to your college in your state so you need to make sure they get up there to you not come down here to them and run camps to recruit them. its wrong and its hurts college recruiting.

I absolutely hate the idea of these. its not right. these kids are going to your college in your state so you need to make sure they get up there to you not come down here to them and run camps to recruit them. its wrong and its hurts college recruiting.

I disagree completely. If you're a good coach as in JH's case, then people will want you at their camp (in this case two separate camps here in FL), and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Would anyone have a problem if Golden had a camp and brought in Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson, or basically any quality head coach we don't compete with directly? If you stopped schools from allowing other head coaches (past or present), then are former players next on the list?

Bottom line, don't suck. We wouldn't have a problem if our head coach didn't suck and was asked to do two camps, one in Texas and the other in California.

It's an opportunity for kids to get looks from colleges that they may not normally have access to. Michigan isn't gonna pay for a kid they're not recruiting to come up to Ann Arbor.

Maybe there's a sleeper that's going to this camp from the area that normally wouldn't get a look from Michigan, but because of this satellite camp he'll get put on their radar.

It's beneficial to both the school hosting the camp and recruits.

Advertisement
Its very bad for the ACC... and this is not about kids getting taught by good coaches. Its coaches finding a loophole to recruit. The BIG knows its on the decline.. getting desperate. IMO..

Its very bad for the ACC... and this is not about kids getting taught by good coaches. Its coaches finding a loophole to recruit. The BIG knows its on the decline.. getting desperate. IMO..

It's not just the Big10 doing this, they're just following suit. Also, if you know anything about JH, he'll be out there coaching. The guy lives and breathes football.

It's an opportunity for kids to get looks from colleges that they may not normally have access to. Michigan isn't gonna pay for a kid they're not recruiting to come up to Ann Arbor.

Maybe there's a sleeper that's going to this camp from the area that normally wouldn't get a look from Michigan, but because of this satellite camp he'll get put on their radar.

my issue is that there are 50 million camps to get exposure and hudl to put your highlights up. its a recruiting loophole allowing JH to get exposure in a hotbed of talent. i see what your saying, yes kids with get exposure to Michigan's coaching and talent maybe found for Michigan but if all schools cant do it , then no one should do it, its all im saying if i was coach i would be furious.

my issue is that there are 50 million camps to get exposure and hudl to put your highlights up. its a recruiting loophole allowing JH to get exposure in a hotbed of talent. i see what your saying, yes kids with get exposure to Michigan's coaching and talent maybe found for Michigan but if all schools cant do it , then no one should do it, its all im saying if i was coach i would be furious.
Coaches who are winners don't waste time nor braincells crying about stuff like this. They adapt and continue winning.

Advertisement
It's real simple and it's all about access to more talent. It's far more time and cost effective to conduct camps in talent rich states where you could get "many" kids and evaluate them versus investing time and money to get to to visit individually. Won't get into politics as to why Michigan's talent pool dried up, but many people had to move south for jobs. If Michigan was a "1" horse like OSU they wouldn't need to conduct camps, but they realize it all about survival. More concerned about OSU, Bama, FSU and FU plucking the best SoFl talent.

And the $ec is about to start doing this soon if there isnt a NCAA ban on these practices... ACC and Sec voluntarily put it on those rules but since the big 10 dtarted doing this they will to if. Ot

As a HS coach, I love them. My kids can't afford to go camp at Michigan or PSU, but we can load up a van full and drive to Tampa.

Advertisement
Back