Coral Gables Regional Thread

Advertisement
Oh wow, I thought this was common knowledge around here. Glad I am able to share this with some folks:

Back in the day, it was common practice to offer more kids than could realistically attend under the 11.7 scholarship limitations. You essentially had to offer more kids, because some weren't going to make grades, some were going to go pro, etc. So let's say you have room for 10. You offer 13, 14, 15 kids, knowing that it's all going to work out in the end.

Famous last words, right? One year, it didn't work out so well. Too many kids showed up for school, and there wasn't enough scholarship money. So at least one kid, and maybe a couple more, were told that they could stay at UM, but there was no baseball money for them. One kid's dad took it to Tad Foote's office and threatened everyone with lawsuits. Someone had to take the fall in the baseball office. Well Jim Morris sure wasn't going to accept responsibility. That's on the recruiting coordinator. So Turtle Thomas was fired, effective after the last game of the 1999 season.

Notice that a few years later, when Lazar Collazo was let go, Morris didn't take the fall for that one either.

Turtle's non-public response was that of course Jim Morris knew what was going on. He's the one who approved it and signed off on it every single year. But Morris let Thomas take 100% of the blame, thus resulting in extremely bad blood between the two.

When Miami and LSU played in 2004, Thomas did not shake hands after the game, instead heading straight for the right field line to wait for his team.

Advertisement
Thanks guys.
I'm not in Miami and didn't catch the article.
Speaking of the article, ZCollins probably shouldn't have said what he said about FIU kids would've come to Miami had they been offered.
I'm sure he meant no offence and of course what he said is true but still...

I am more confident about this team than I have been in a while!

I think we got this, and we are gonna be **** hard to beat in the Supers next week!

Advertisement
Lets get our game faces on byatches! I got big plans in the 305 all next weekend, IF we can take care of bidness now!

Marienated a chuck roast in Mojo for 24 hours, been in the crock pot all day, just fallin' apart when you touch it with a fork!

Mac n Cheese, plantains, red beans and Mustard Greens cooked from scratch!

Ready to get this started!

Drinking rum and Monster, will switch to Micheladas at game time!

Advertisement
LOL! Let the butt buddy stalkers do their thing. We got bigger fish to fry!

Lets start getting our heads in the game! This is a big one. The path to Omaha is a clear road!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back