Good article on 1 vs 2 gap defensive line philosophy

Advertisement
Okay I got it. Al's defense gives up lot a yardage while players try to figure out what to do and the other team runs around them. We have mastered that pretty unless the other team screws up by fumbling a bunch of times in a row or snaps the ball over the QB's head a bunch.

Now, which is the one where our DTs burst into the backfield and either tackles everyone for a loss or flushes them into the DEs to be crushed? You know where, the action is on the other team's side of the line of scrimmage. I think they use to call it "meet me at the QB and play run along the way" or something like that. I recall it worked fairly well as long as you had the speed to keep anything that got loose from gaining to many yards.

I am old enough to have seen both, compared, and contrasted them. Al's sucks. The old one won NCs. I say we dump 1 and 2 gap and go back to shoot gap!

Okay I got it. Al's defense gives up lot a yardage while players try to figure out what to do and the other team runs around them. We have mastered that pretty unless the other team screws up by fumbling a bunch of times in a row or snaps the ball over the QB's head a bunch.

Now, which is the one where our DTs burst into the backfield and either tackles everyone for a loss or flushes them into the DEs to be crushed? You know where, the action is on the other team's side of the line of scrimmage. I think they use to call it "meet me at the QB and play run along the way" or something like that. I recall it worked fairly well as long as you had the speed to keep anything that got loose from gaining to many yards.

I am old enough to have seen both, compared, and contrasted them. Al's sucks. The old one won NCs. I say we dump 1 and 2 gap and go back to shoot gap!

You won't see much of that in Golden's scheme

When you have talent on the D line to disrupt things, you need to do it. We have the talent on the D line to do just that, so we should do just that. Make their O fear your D.

in the spring in one of the interviews a DL said something to the effect about them switching to 1 gap. I had no idea they went to seahawks but it makes sense because in the recruiting video. Coach D referenced how Seahawks use their safeties.

Advertisement
Thanks for the submission. Great article. The conclusion that coach Golden's defense has been pretty effective against the run is a little misleading.

Under coach Golden, we have made far fewer big plays defensively and have given up big plays defensively at about the same rate as under coach Shannon.

% of running plays equal to or less than 0:

Shannon

2008 25%
2009 25%
2010 24%

Golden

2011 18%
2012 14%
2013 15%
2014 17%

% of running plays of 11 yds. or more

Shannon

2008 12%
2009 12%
2010 12%

Golden

2011 13%
2012 14%
2013 12%
2014 10%

So, the read and react approach is supposed to make it more difficult for an opponent to achieve big running plays and to accomplish this, you are willing to make fewer big plays on defense. Well, we certainly make fewer big plays on defense, but we haven't been rewarded by our opponents making fewer big plays.

Where are those stats from?

Thanks for the submission. Great article. The conclusion that coach Golden's defense has been pretty effective against the run is a little misleading.

Under coach Golden, we have made far fewer big plays defensively and have given up big plays defensively at about the same rate as under coach Shannon.

Shannon

2008 25%
2009 25%
2010 24%

Golden

2011 18%
2012 14%
2013 15%
2014 17%

Shannon

2008 12%
2009 12%
2010 12%

Golden

2011 13%
2012 14%
2013 12%
2014 10%

So, the read and react approach is supposed to make it more difficult for an opponent to achieve big running plays and to accomplish this, you are willing to make fewer big plays on defense. Well, we certainly make fewer big plays on defense, but we haven't been rewarded by our opponents making fewer big plays.

I did see a stat last year that we hadn't allowed a scoring play of over 40 or 50 yards all year up to that point. It was late in the season, and we were one of only a couple to have that stat. For the life of me I can't remember the exact numbers, so don't quote me. It was a surprising stat. Kind of meaningless though, if you're not winning.

Personally, I'd rather give up a big play now and then as long as the kids are strong enough mentally to get back out there and make a play next time. Give me a D that forces turnovers, and I'll show you a team that wins more than it loses. Probably much more.

Shannon

2008 25%
2009 25%
2010 24%

Golden

2011 18%
2012 14%
2013 15%
2014 17%

Shannon

2008 12%
2009 12%
2010 12%

Golden

2011 13%
2012 14%
2013 12%
2014 10%

Advertisement
not a football coach, but I wouldnt set up defensive plays to put my CB in a one on one tacking scenario vs an all american rb, is that common practice?

Advertisement
Advertisement
We're scrapping the 2-gap this year. My boy is cool with Moten and he said no more 2-gap.

In some ways this is more scary than what we have been force fed for the last 4 years. I have zero faith that Dorito knows how to properly change things up in the back 7-8 (LB/DB's) in conjunction with going 1 gap up front.

Everyone thinks that if Dorito just tells the guys to play one gap everything will be fine, but you have to change everything and they way everyone on the defense plays to accommodate this changes. The run fits are different in one gap. The coverages should be different as well. What good is one gap pressure if the WR's are running free on slants and drags all game long? Anyone remember the endless WR screens that Maryland ran against us the last season Dorito tried to 1 gap?

Add on to that the fact that we just spent the last 4 years overhauling the roster to be bigger and slower in order to successfully play the 2 gap style and now we are going to ask these slower fatter guys to 1 gap. It just makes no ******* sense at all.

I just don't see anything these corches do as being a successful change.

And let's not even talk about special teams.

Last edited:
One-gap stuff is simple to teach though. I don't think we have anything to worry about. The front-7 looked remarkably better in the spring game. Granted, against our OL, but they were in the backfield all day.

One-gap stuff is simple to teach though. I don't think we have anything to worry about. The front-7 looked remarkably better in the spring game. Granted, against our OL, but they were in the backfield all day.

just spoke to a DL on the team. he said they were told to not go around talking about changes but they have been made. they will be more aggressive. also, hinted at some of the s & t results being a little off. said like misinformation. I also asked how he likes Coach Melvin. he said "This man is a a great teacher man."

Not getting my hopes up tho.

Advertisement
Back