Derrick Griffin

Advertisement
OK, I'll play along. Wanted to play football and basketball and was an academic casualty. I have no idea what his current academic situation is, but I'll guess Auburn or Oklahoma.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/ex-canes-four-star-signee-moves-on-to-texas-southern/

Ex-Canes four-star signee moves on to Texas Southern
by John Taylor on August 27, 2014

Because he was a non-qualifier, Derrick Griffin never was able to reach his immense potential at Miami. Now, however, the talented player will get another chance, albeit it at a much lower level of football.

According to Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, Griffin has enrolled at Texas Southern and intends to play for the FCS program. Because he was an academic non-qualifier, however, he will have to sit out the 2014 season.

“Our summer-bridge program is set up to take incoming freshman that need additional help to become college ready,” athletic director Dr. Charles McClelland told the station. “Derek successfully participated in that program which is why he is now a full-time student at Texas Southern University.”

In order for Griffin to be eligible in 2015, he needs to earn 24 credits between now and then. Additionally, Berman wrote, “Griffin must also maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 during the next two semesters to also be eligible.”

Until then, he’s eligible to practice with his new teammates.

A four-star member of The U’s 2013 recruiting class, Griffin was rated as the No. 3 wide receiver in the country; the No. 5 player at any position in the talent-rich state of Texas; and the No. 42 recruit overall by Rivals.com. While he’s listed as a TE, the 6-6, 215-pound Griffin will be utilized as a receiver. As late as early February Griffin was verbally committed to Texas A&M before flipping to Miami in the middle of that month.

“He can bring a lot of different things to the program,” TSU head coach Darrell Asberry said. “He’s a very exciting player.

“He’s a great young man, a great person. The kid has great, great athletic ability. So we just want to make sure we put him in the right position to make plays for us.”

Here is a link to the NCAA Transfer rules for 4yr to 4 yr schools. There is a lot of interesting caveats if indeed Griffin is attempting to transfer to Miami after spending a year at Texas southern.

NCAA Transfer rules for 4-4 transfers
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/college-transfer-4-4.htm

I am wondering if his tweets may just mean that he is finally eligible to play football at Texas Southern for 2015 season per the plan they worked out when he initially enrolled with them back in 2014 per the article below. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say during Sundays Canes Shades Podcast.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/26367321/former-rosenberg-terry-star-tight-end-enrolls-at-texas-southern-plans-to-play-in-2015

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back