Beckham, Shalala discuss partnering on stadium

Andymiles

Recruit
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...halala-to-discuss-partnering-on-football.html

Soccer legend David Beckham, outgoing University of Miami president Donna Shalala and Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber are expected to meet Friday to talk about partnering on a football-soccer stadium.
Beckham has been trying to bring a MLS team to Miami for nearly two years but has run into roadblocks trying to find a location to build a stadium. As for Shalala, she believes Sun Life Stadium is too big and too far of a home for the Hurricanes, the Miami Herald reports.

She would rather build a 40,000- to 44,000-seat venue, a stadium that would be larger than the 25,000- to 30,000-seat stadium MLS officials would prefer.

MLS objects to soccer stadium site near Marlins Park
In the past, Beckham's proposed Miami waterfront stadium sites have been rejected by both city and county officials. Next on the table is a location near Marlins Park - a site that would be appealing to UM because it is next to the old Orange Bowl.
One of the issues for UM is that it has 17 years remaining on its lease with Sun Life Stadium and it would be expensive to break.

Advertisement
i kinda get the whole going to sun life because they really had no choice, but now she is saying its too far, you should have been saying that every year we played there, and she should have been doing this since talk of beckham coming here 2 yrs ago, seems she just want to make it seem like she cared about athletics when she really didnt

i kinda get the whole going to sun life because they really had no choice, but now she is saying its too far, you should have been saying that every year we played there, and she should have been doing this since talk of beckham coming here 2 yrs ago, seems she just want to make it seem like she cared about athletics when she really didnt

They've been in talks with Beckham since March of last year at the very least, likely before that.

They've been in talks with Beckham since March of last year at the very least, likely before that.

there was never anything direct, it was all maybes, this is official, should have been official from the start

Advertisement

there was never anything direct, it was all maybes, this is official, should have been official from the start

Hard to be official when Beckham himself and the city weren't even sure he was bringing a team here.

Bottom line is that UM was on board from the beginning. Stop acting like we weren't.

Hard to be official when Beckham himself and the city weren't even sure he was bringing a team here.

Bottom line is that UM was on board from the beginning. Stop acting like we weren't.

because we werent it was just discussed, until now

My guess is that donna will use all of her "Hillary's drinking buddy" clout to get this done. She's all about her legacy and image. The content of the deal will be meaningless to her. I really think her main goal is not to allow Canes fans to forever blame her for losing the OB.

My guess is that donna will use all of her "Hillary's drinking buddy" clout to get this done. She's all about her legacy and image. The content of the deal will be meaningless to her. I really think her main goal is not to allow Canes fans to forever blame her for losing the OB.

exactly

Advertisement

LMAO. Dude, you have no clue.

I'll never forgive her for leaving the OB. Never. However, If Miami can partner with Beckham to build a venue that caters to our fan base (and theirs), I'll give her the kudos she deserves.

then give me a clue, because all you have said is we were in it from the start which we werent because when the plans for the soccer stadium was first brought up by beckham he said he didnt want to share it with someone

I'll never forgive her for leaving the OB. Never. However, If Miami can partner with Beckham to build a venue that caters to our fan base (and theirs), I'll give her the kudos she deserves.

the OB tearing down was going to happen, BUT she should have fought her *** off for it instead of just leaving

Advertisement

Lol you're wrong just give it up. What could Donnas career or reputation have to gain from just feigning interest in athletics. She has a lot more to gain if she makes this happen anybody who can see past their dirt driveway knows that.

Lol you're wrong just give it up. What could Donnas career or reputation have to gain from just feigning interest in athletics. She has a lot more to gain if she makes this happen anybody who can see past their dirt driveway knows that.

you kidding me?

why is she doing this now? right before she leaves, shes doing this for her image, shes been blasted by everyone for her lack of help for athletics and even for her U health fiasco, whether we get the stadium or not she can say that she cared, its the timing that gives it away

then give me a clue, because all you have said is we were in it from the start which we werent because when the plans for the soccer stadium was first brought up by beckham he said he didnt want to share it with someone

Here's from Feb of 2014:

"David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides."

Advertisement

Here's from Feb of 2014:

"David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides."

thats from last year this has been in talks for awhile, did they ever come to a understanding?

dont be stupid yall, now when shes about to step down she all of a sudden jumps back into the stadium race? yea shes not doing this for PR

you kidding me?

why is she doing this now? right before she leaves, shes doing this for her image, shes been blasted by everyone for her lack of help for athletics and even for her U health fiasco, whether we get the stadium or not she can say that she cared, its the timing that gives it away

You really think she gives a **** if people think she cares? You guys truly underestimate her and the politics involved with major land/stadium deals in municipalities. Would you rather have 1/4 to 1/2 billion dollar land and stadium deal on your resume or bunch of thanks yous from a thankless fanbase. She's out for herself no doubt but this time we could benefit from it.

CaneHeel,
I'm interested in your opinion of donna's motivation here. Its not like this hasn't been an issue for her entire time as UM president. The OB was getting near end of life for well over a decade before it was torn down. Why now?

Advertisement
Back