Why Can't Guys Make Plays In This Defense

252cane

All-ACC
We have all complained about the scheme on D and coaching. From going back and looking at the scheme it's the players too.

Why are guys not producing? I went and looked at uva & temple and they were much more productive.

Uva had guys getting 8-12 sacks. Temple was the samething. They had a couple of de/olb getting 7-12 sacks and a d-line that made plays.

Why can't guys on this team do the samething?

I have went back and looked at games and there is a gap between talent on offense and defense.

Over the last 3 years there has only been 3 players from defense drafted. Another interesting note the guys that are in the nfl all are on teams that run the 3-4.

Everyone has said go to a 1 gap scheme but that d-line last year was not a disruptive 1 gap group. Wade phillips said it, if you can get upfield and pass rush 1 gap if not 2.

Chick was not a fit in the scheme but i still don't see him as a guy with 1st-3rd round talent.

It's time for players to step up too and fans need stop giving them passes

Advertisement
What is seen was alot of players thinking and when you're thinking you're slow. Defense needs to simplified and allow that athletes to dictate the game.

ive been watching all the games this past year and what i have seen is that we are running too slow on defense, that 4 game stretch it was different we were active and very aggressive, after that we went back into our old shell

i see our players think too much too instead of acting BUT im not blamming that on the players thats on the coaches, im pretty sure they are telling them about their mistakes but how its getting relayed to the players is the issue IMO

we have no fire on defense other than the FSU game and the 4 game stretch we were robots, go and watch FSU, Bama, TCU play they are aggressive and play with fire and passion i really havent really seen that on a regular basis with this team

i have stated numerous times here that what cost us games the most was the offense more than the defense BUT everything i stated above is still the problem, to win now a days in college football you need a aggressive defense and a fast paced offense, does the aggressive defense get you exposed for big plays yes, but how the game has evolved now a days you need take as many chances on defense and score a ton of points on offense

Advertisement
It's Al's philosophy. Try to limit what the other team does instead of dictating the action

Really? I would be shocked if there is more than 5 double digit sack performances in the 13 seasons as either DC or HC.

And this is not in support of golden because they should have fired him after last season.

I have watched usc and other teams use the 3-4 and even the frog stance. They got off blocks and made plays while our guys stand in place.

OP are you talking about watching this 2004 team coached by Al Golden UVA looking better than UM's 2014 defense? AG is running the same **** play book 10 years later and getting the same results UM's defense getting smoked when it counts!

[video=youtube;hYEbgipN0g4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEbgipN0g4[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have all complained about the scheme on D and coaching. From going back and looking at the scheme it's the players too.

Why are guys not producing? I went and looked at uva & temple and they were much more productive.

Uva had guys getting 8-12 sacks. Temple was the samething. They had a couple of de/olb getting 7-12 sacks and a d-line that made plays.

I have went back and looked at games and there is a gap between talent on offense and defense.

Over the last 3 years there has only been 3 players from defense drafted. Another interesting note the guys that are in the nfl all are on teams that run the 3-4.

Everyone has said go to a 1 gap scheme but that d-line last year was not a disruptive 1 gap group. Wade phillips said it, if you can get upfield and pass rush 1 gap if not 2.

Chick was not a fit in the scheme but i still don't see him as a guy with 1st-3rd round talent.

Since you studied UVA and Temple under Al, please list all the guys who got 8-12 sacks.

Really? I would be shocked if there is more than 5 double digit sack performances in the 13 seasons as either DC or HC.

Most of the top pass rushers that get drafted don't put up double digit sacks every year.

I looked at having multiple guys in the same scheme getting 7+ sacks while our guys are getting 2 and 3 something is wrong.

Most of the top pass rushers that get drafted don't put up double digit sacks every year.

I looked at having multiple guys in the same scheme getting 7+ sacks while our guys are getting 2 and 3 something is wrong.

Please list all those guys who put up 8-12 sacks at UVA and Temple under Al. Thank you, sir.

This what a True 3-4 two gap scheme based on movement looks like when run by a competent Defensive Coordinator (Dave Aranda). I chose the Wisconsin vs Neb to show a common opponent with Miami. Omg if Miami had Aranda running the defense without interference UM would have played in the Playoff's last year.

[video=youtube;HZ8VqlpcYGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8VqlpcYGI[/video]

Advertisement
an if that wasn't enough here is Wisconsin's 3-4 defense giving Auburn all they can handle in the 2015 Outback Bowl (Considering Wis was big underdog). An even the announcers commented about how Dave Aranda is a good DC because he doesn't play prevent defense and would rather attack on EVERY PLAY some how (this guy brings pressure getting off the bus).

[video=youtube;YTUPEzrIhqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUPEzrIhqE[/video]

Last edited:
Because Glutton,Al coaches his defense to not lose the game. Instead of looking at the defensive side of the ball as an equal partner in WINNING the game.

Advertisement

Let's see who picked these players? Who trained these players? Who developed and implement the defense these players play in? Who coached these players? Who calls the plays for the players? Yeap you're right, Al, it is those lazy piece of crap players.

After 30 years of "meet you at the QB and tackle anyone with the ball on the way" defense and 5 NCs, Al comes along and installs a "we have no speed, so hold-em until they make a mistake" psu defense from the king on the shower. Golden could have The Mad Stork, Cortez Kennedy, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed on his team and it would still suck because he defense is designed for the other team to make mistakes NOT his team to make plays! Our player don't make plays because they are not really supposed to. Dline dances with oline not sheds blocks and penetrate; DE drop into coverage not drop QBs; lbs line up 6 yards deep not growling over the center; CB give ten year cushions not broken ribs.

Al's defense is designed to play against our old great big play offenses and beat them once game, in one game only. It doesn't work against offenses that are happy as crap to take 4 to 6 yards a pop. It worked two years in a row against FSU for one half each year -- remember. But Jimbo adjusted went under Al instead of over and ate us alive in the second half each year. JJ did have that patience against psu or TN the year before and it cost us 2 NCs. Al has the wrong defense on the wrong team against the wrong teams and coaches.

At franchise some notiable guys from both. Uva had guys like ahmad brooks(49ers), clint sintim(2nd round pick). Chris long(pro bowler with rams) golden had left after his frosh season but same scheme.

At temple junior gallete(saints), some guy adrian robinson(bucs), everybody knows wilkerson.

At franchise some notiable guys from both. Uva had guys like ahmad brooks(49ers), clint sintim(2nd round pick). Chris long(pro bowler with rams) golden had left after his frosh season but same scheme.

At temple junior gallete(saints), some guy adrian robinson(bucs), everybody knows wilkerson.

I'm familiar with all those players. I was asking you to substantiate your factual comment that he regularly had players posting 8-12 sacks per season. Show me the guys who did that under him.

Advertisement
Back