5-Star LB Thomas: "Miami is in great shape for me"

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
5-star Booker T. Washington LB Matthew Thomas will go down in Miami-Dade high school football as an all-time great. The star linebacker is in the midst of a season where his Booker T squad is favored for the state title.

“The season is going good. We’ve been working and getting ready for the second half of the season. Our goal is just to get to the state championship and win it this year.”

After a tough loss to Central a few weeks back, the F-5 Tornadoes have rebounded and been on a roll.

“As a team, we were feeling ourselves, thinking we were unbeatable. The same thing happened at the state game last year. We just have to stay hungry. It’s been a huge motivator for our team, especially me. I don’t care about stats or even being all-Dade. I just want to win states with my team.”

Thomas’ versatility is arguably his biggest calling card, as he can line up at virtually any position in the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball. He sees himself as a hybrid OLB in college.

“Right now, I think I can play an outside linebacker hybrid role. I’m also comfortable at middle linebacker so I can slide there. I’m even comfortable at end, but I prefer playing linebacker.”

Matthew is very close to 2014 DL Chad Thomas. He talked about their relationship.

“I tell him what he does wrong and he tells me what I need to tighten up on. We’re both supposed to be the top guys, but we really don’t let that get to our head. We are both guilty of taking plays off so it’s just tough love, trying to help each other out.”

The Booker T star headed up to Tampa this past weekend to watch South Florida take on Florida State.

“It was fun out there. I went to the game and got to talk to a couple USF coaches. I also got to meet up with my former teammate Elkino Watson. It was a good weekend for me.”

It was also his first time seeing the ‘Noles in action for a full game this year. FSU is a program that he has been looking at heavily throughout the process.

“I like the kind of program they have, they’re proving themselves that they can contend for a national championship and are a top 10 program.”

The hometown University of Miami has recently made a big move for Thomas’ services. At the beginning of process he says he wasn’t really feeling them as much, but things have changed according to him.

“I like Miami a lot, just the fact that it’s home and I like seeing them play. I grew up with Miami and I just love seeing them play the young guys because that has really caught my eye. I really like the coaching staff a lot, they’re cool guys. I’m talking to coach Barrow, coach Golden, and coach D’Onofrio. The University itself is just awesome so Miami is in great shape for me.”

There have been rumors for months that Thomas’ mother would like for him to stay home, which is something he says is true.

“She tells me about stuff, gives me her opinion on things ‘cause she’s been to the school and has given me her opinion. She tells me it would be best for me to stay here, but she’ll also support whatever decision I make.”

How important is it to Thomas for his family to be able to be at his games?

“It’s somewhat important for them to see my games. My mom is from another country so she’s never really seen me play. My brothers like to see me play too so they can watch me on TV, but I’d like for them to be in the stands cheering me on and giving me that support and drive.”

He says that there is no timetable for his decision.

“If I’m ready, then I’ll just go ahead and commit, but if not I’ll just ride it out until signing day.”

Advertisement
We just gotta keep the momentum.

Thomas and Collins are two guys (in my opinion) that we need to give them reasons NOT to commit to us. So far we have held up on the field.

Advertisement
and god dammit this playing a young team thing may be the best thing for us in recruiting since......?

His brother goes to school in Tallahassee.

How important is it to Thomas for his family to be able to be at his games?

“It’s somewhat important for them to see my games. My mom is from another country so she’s never really seen me play. My brothers like to see me play too so they can watch me on TV, but I’d like for them to be in the stands cheering me on and giving me that support and drive.”

Advertisement
My suspicion is that the longer this drags out, the more favorable it looks for us.

Which country is Thomas' mom from? and how many brothers does he have???

But Warchant posters are saying they lead for Matthew Thomas, Chad Thomas, Kirkland, Sony, Lane, and Tim Williams

Advertisement
I'm trying to hold in my excitement since this could change tomorrow, but damnit this is ****ing awesome!

[video]http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Fap+Time.+Fap+Fap+Fap_83f015_3806579.gif[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back