sofla free agency thread

The private schools are all over the top youth players. If you are a parent and your kid can go to a school that is safer, has better academics, has better athletics and has a great track record of putting kids in college on scholarship, where are you going to send your kid? It seems like ano brainer to me.

And the public schools are recruiting just as hard as the private schools.

Advertisement
first time ive ever heard of a kid leaving a school deep in Lauderdale for a school in Liberty City.

Might be the first time it EVER happened. Most Lauderdale ppl dont even venture in to Miami period or even know where that school is located.

But MNW is full throttle recruiting...they must aint have much in there underclassmen cupboard because they are out int he open online recruiting kids
Only person I ever knew to transfer from deep in Broward to deep in Dade was my buddy Brian Hankerson(yup, he's Leonard's cousin). Came to Central from Ft. Lauderdale High during freshman year. But Hankersons are everywhere in SoFla and he moved to Dade. I'm sure this kid still lives in Broward...

These kids are geting recruited through the 7 on 7 teams....if you play for Immortals best believe mnw is trying to recruit you there.

Alot of these kids are going to these "other schools" and just going to the transfer school for football. So maybe he will be one of those types. If you look up there is a kid transferring from Lauderdale Lakes to got**** Northwestern....with smooth traffic thats a 45 minute hike
Ehh, you can prolly get there in 30 but traffic gotta be flowing flowing and you gotta haul ***. But how many times is it gonna be like that??? Jit gone be leaving his crib at 5 am like he work for the post office or something...

Some of these high schools should just merge with each other to field a half decent team. BA-Piper, Taravella-Springs, NE-FTL....it’s sad that some of these 8A and 7A schools can only get like 30 kids on a team.
Ft Lauderdale strangely enough has been pretty decent lately. They would beat all the teams listed.

I have no clue how BA fell off a cliff.

Piper gets raided by American Hritage and others.

Yea it is sad though...alot of these names were solid programs for years and years and have gone to sh8t with the transferring/recruitment

Ehh, you can prolly get there in 30 but traffic gotta be flowing flowing and you gotta haul ***. But how many times is it gonna be like that??? Jit gone be leaving his crib at 5 am like he work for the post office or something...
I swear. Man gonna be leavin like he work at the warehouse....then getting home at like 8-9pm lol

THEN you gotta add in the neighborhood/county difference.

I remember when i was in high school...my close homie transferred from school in broward to Miami EDISON as he was the qb after i graduated. He went down there with his pretty boy stuff snatch somebody girlfriend week 1 and was hittin me up like these fools tryna jump me at school....i was away in college like...
tenor.gif

Advertisement
I guess I’m too old school for all of this breaking news on HIGH SCHOOL transfers. What ever happened to representing your neighborhood. The fact that this getting so much attention is the reason why there are so many divas out here now with no loyalty.
No such thing as school pride or neighborhood pride.

I mean they’ll represent their neighborhood through hashtags and IG handles, but they’ll travel 30 minutes out of there to play ball

Ft Lauderdale strangely enough has been pretty decent lately. They would beat all the teams listed.

I have no clue how BA fell off a cliff.

Piper gets raided by American Hritage and others.

Yea it is sad though...alot of these names were solid programs for years and years and have gone to sh8t with the transferring/recruitment
BA is bad for the same reasons Ely is bad now. The power programs raid their local talent combined with the fact that the school is just terrible in general. Anybody who can get to a different/better school does. A bunch of the kids (not football players) who are zoned for BA go to Plantation now because of school choice and their parents would rather drive them to PHS than send them to BA.

The private schools are all over the top youth players. If you are a parent and your kid can go to a school that is safer, has better academics, has better athletics and has a great track record of putting kids in college on scholarship, where are you going to send your kid? It seems like ano brainer to me.

And the public schools are recruiting just as hard as the private schools.
I get why some parents want to send their kid to the privates if they get the offer but it's a double edged sword. A kid that might have started at his local school may be a part time player or even a bench warmer at a STA or Heritage. I don't care how many college scouts visit your school, if you're not actually getting on the field and playing, you're not getting a scholarship offer. There's quite a few kids who end up transferring back after one season when they find out that they're not going to be starting.

BA is bad for the same reasons Ely is bad now. The power programs raid their local talent combined with the fact that the school is just terrible in general. Anybody who can get to a different/better school does. A bunch of the kids (not football players) who are zoned for BA go to Plantation now because of school choice and their parents would rather drive them to PHS than send them to BA.
BA has pro bowl players walking the hall ways with a 1.5 and short on credits. An insanely talent rich area.

Advertisement
BA has pro bowl players walking the hall ways with a 1.5 and short on credits. An insanely talent rich area.
The area is full of talent but the program and the school in general is broken. What most people don't realize about high school coaching is that the actual coaching is only part of your job. It's on the coaches to make sure the players are going to class, getting grades and have all their proper medical information filed with the county in case of emergency. There's a ton of coaches who are...let's just say "lax" on all three of these issues because they only want to win and coach football but then the county rules their players ineligible and it not only hurts their team, it kills that kid's chance of earning any kind of scholarship.

The area is full of talent but the program and the school in general is broken. What most people don't realize about high school coaching is that the actual coaching is only part of your job. It's on the coaches to make sure the players are going to class, getting grades and have all their proper medical information filed with the county in case of emergency. There's a ton of coaches who are...let's just say "lax" on all three of these issues because they only want to win and coach football but then the county rules their players ineligible and it not only hurts their team, it kills that kid's chance of earning any kind of scholarship.
Starts well beyond coaching but yes.

I'm just gonna keep it real...

A lot of these schools aren't just bad because their talent is getting raided. They're also coached terribly.
Most of them have enough talent to at least be respectable on the field.

When I coach against some of these neighborhood schools I never walk away thinking "Man, if they just had more talent they could be good."
I usually say "That **** was a complete dumpster fire!"
(there's been a few exceptions to that, but they're not the hood schools that's for sure)

I don't even chart tendencies when we play most of these neighborhood schools because the coaching is so junkyard that they literally HAVE NO TENDENCIES. They're completely unpredictable. Freakin' Ely was a spread team in every tape that I scouted, and versus us they came-out in the Doube-Wing and ran dive, dive, toss. SMH
They finished the game with 0 first downs, 0 pass completions and -13 yards of offense.

They had enough talent to at least gain positive yards on offense. LOL
I'm a decent DC with some good players, but we ain't THAT good!

Many of these programs don't even have a chance. They'll never be good until they make the right hire.
Yall see the turn-around at Dillard.
They got the right guys in the building.

Last edited:
I get why some parents want to send their kid to the privates if they get the offer but it's a double edged sword. A kid that might have started at his local school may be a part time player or even a bench warmer at a STA or Heritage. I don't care how many college scouts visit your school, if you're not actually getting on the field and playing, you're not getting a scholarship offer. There's quite a few kids who end up transferring back after one season when they find out that they're not going to be starting.
Heritage and STA have different models. Heritage has 22 football players on their roster, and, if they want you, you are most likely going to play. STA is trying to take every player from every school so they don’t have to compete against them. STA definitely hoards talent and there is no way they can play all of those players. STA actually places a lot of second stringers in college.

Advertisement
I'm just gonna keep it real...

A lot of these schools aren't just bad because their talent is getting raided. They're also coached terribly.
Most of them have enough talent to at least be respectable on the field.

When I coach against some of these neighborhood schools I never walk away thinking "Man, if they just had more talent they could be good."
I usually say "That **** was a complete dumpster fire!"
(there's been a few exceptions to that, but they're not the hood schools that's for sure)

I don't even chart tendencies when we play most of these neighborhood schools because the coaching is so junkyard that they literally HAVE NO TENDENCIES. They're completely unpredictable. Freakin' Ely was a spread team in every tape that I scouted, and versus us they came-out in the Doube-Wing and ran dive, dive, toss. SMH
They finished the game with 0 first downs, 0 pass completions and -13 yards of offense.

They had enough talent to at least gain positive yards on offense. LOL
I'm a decent DC with some good players, but we ain't THAT good!

Many of these programs don't even have a chance. They'll never be good until they make the right hire.
Yall see the turn-around at Dillard.
They got the right guys in the building.
Gotta love the old grab bag playbook. Some of their best offensive plays are mistakes lol. I watched a bad pahokee team a few years back score twice on bad shotgun snaps. Essentially it becomes a punt return lol.

I hear you...i usually have to pass the school weekly for work

This happens a sh*t ton..They hoard alot of talent and them put them in the rotation and specials...but these kids get to brag on state championships that they barely contributed to and are not focal points.
Plus the politics at the privates ...where the big money boosters kids HAVE to play.

If your at an avg to above avg public school that puts kids into college i truly dont see the need. Also all this talk about privates being better , safer is b.s. in south florida...because all those kids still live where they live and still hang out with THE SAME neighborhood kids.

About 3 of my close neighborhood guys went to Pace, Chaminade, Hollywood Christian...and after/before school they would be hanging out doing knucklehead sh*t just like all the public school kids...in fact they were worse lol

And we all ended up div 1 -div 2 athletes.

Word to Eddie Jackson lol.

Ninja was at BA doing nothing until they likely fixed his grades so he can play his sr year...nd he ends up at Bama...off to the NFL.

Advertisement
Heritage and STA have different models. Heritage has 22 football players on their roster, and, if they want you, you are most likely going to play. STA is trying to take every player from every school so they don’t have to compete against them. STA definitely hoards talent and there is no way they can play all of those players. STA actually places a lot of second stringers in college.
Heritage sort of has the same model. They just dont get everyone they can because aint all the parents are willing to work/volunteer at the school to cover the cost..plus they are outwest.
STA doesnt give a f*ck...and i agree they hoard. They have been getting 2nd stringers college commitments since i was in high school in early 2000s. You do have a chance of getting a scholly if your a rotation guy with prerequisite size. AH doesnt have that cache..you might start and still dont get offers or end up naia

Heritage sort of has the same model. They just dont get everyone they can because aint all the parents are willing to work/volunteer at the school to cover the cost..plus they are outwest.
STA doesnt give a f*ck...and i agree they hoard. They have been getting 2nd stringers college commitments since i was in high school in early 2000s. You do have a chance of getting a scholly if your a rotation guy with prerequisite size. AH doesnt have that cache..you might start and still dont get offers or end up naia
STA ha so much pull that they’ve helped kids from OTHER schools get schollies. The guy who runs Premier Athletes of South Florida said that Coach Smith got him a schollie when his own coach couldn’t.

agree on the work requirement for Heritage and that being a negative for them. They’ve had some real high end talent over the last 10 years though. I also agree that they have some of their “22 players” slip through the cracks.

STA ha so much pull that they’ve helped kids from OTHER schools get schollies. The guy who runs Premier Athletes of South Florida said that Coach Smith got him a schollie when his own coach couldn’t.

agree on the work requirement for Heritage and that being a negative for them. They’ve had some real high end talent over the last 10 years though. I also agree that they have some of their “22 players” slip through the cracks.
Oh yea AH certainly gets em.

Them pulling Brandon Innis and Fleming is HUGE as well.

Because those 2 could easily be at Chaminade...as they both are from that area.

STA is just unique...they hoard a sh*t ton of talent the win obviously...but there offense NEVER impresses me and always leaves alot to be desired. Cant even put my hand on it.

Their offense went from backs like Gio Bernard and James White to guys who weren’t really D1 players and they haven’t had a good QB in 6-7 years. Add to that poor playcalling and they don’t maximize their talent. Hankerson is the first top back they’ve had in years. They have no confidence in their QB so they play Big10 football from the 70s. They can do this because they usually have great OL.

Advertisement
Back