sofla free agency thread

It ain’t worth being a HC in Broward. Not worth the time, headache, just to make north of of 2k....you gotta really have your heart in it
It’s not just Broward. It’s a state thing. Head coaches in Florida public schools make ~$5k to coach football.

Advertisement
It ain’t worth being a HC in Broward. Not worth the time, headache, just to make north of of 2k....you gotta really have your heart in it
That 2200$ stipend is 1500$ after taxes... I had to stop, I was putting more time into coaching than I was teaching. When my son was born I had to stop all that Broward coaching life.

@gogeta4 I was districted for Everglades so that’s the experience I am speaking on. Kids will go to chaminade, U school,!gibbons, amhs, STA or heritage if not the other public schools I mentioned

It’s all good whether Dalvin chooses Central over CC, Trayone Gray stays at CC, or Fleming chooses AH over CC to me.

Last edited:
if the local / state govt allocates more $ for the public schools' teachers, education, and athletics, then all the better.

Ok whatever. Offering a family a free $25k a year tuition is meaningless and the schools that can offer that have no advantages over the ones who can’t.

Also, the private schools can pay their staff whatever they want. The assistants at St Thomas make way more than any public school head coach and all they have to do is coach football.

Last edited:
Have no clue why Vadala left AH....but chance for more college interest is.....NOT TRUE. When it comes to AH on defense.

They currently have a top 100 Defender in the nation on their defense..and numerous div 1 prospects on d (Little,Spells,***an, The other DE)..and AH may have 5 kids drafted next week to the nfl. If you arent getting college interest at AH....you aint gonna get much different at STA. AH is the top dog next to STA in the county..the same colleges go to both schools.

-Rizk is going to Gibbons who runs Mike Leach OFFENSE in high school...their qbs put up huge numbers every year...and American Heritage Delray isnt close to them in getting kids recruited..thats an upgrade.

-Fleming likely got recruited hard by AH.....and them getting Innis only helped. Kids that are getting recruited already at Carol City really have no need to leave. Might be the first time ive ever hear a Carol City kid leaving for a private school (maybe Pace) let alone 1 in Broward.

This is Willoughby's 3rd transfer.

The privates are at an advantage down here...they recruit up until recently with no consequence AT ALL. Though recruiting always takes place..public schools have had to forfeit games...pay fines, player sit out, etc when caught or turned in.....Privates never had. **** i think they are mad that there is school choice and kids are now able to float around.

Think it’s Willoughbys 4th unless I’m thinking of someone else

gibbons, DB, Tru prep, DB

Advertisement
It’s not just Broward. It’s a state thing. Head coaches in Florida public schools make ~$5k to coach football.
I don’t believe it’s 5k across the board. I believe that is up to the counties if I’m not mistaken.

I don’t believe it’s 5k across the board. I believe that is up to the counties if I’m not mistaken.
It does change county to county but they all pay crap. Average pay for head coaches in the state is around $4400. Which is why I laughed at the thought of public school coaches paying kids money to play for them. Most head coaches are full time employees of the school, some have teaching certificates so they do draw a real salary but we know how much the school system pays employees in Florida. I'd venture that most head coaches make In the neighborhood of $50 thousand a year total. But that's if they're full time teachers.

It does change county to county but they all pay crap. Average pay for head coaches in the state is around $4400. Which is why I laughed at the thought of public school coaches paying kids money to play for them. Most head coaches are full time employees of the school, some have teaching certificates so they do draw a real salary but we know how much the school system pays employees in Florida. I'd venture that most head coaches make In the neighborhood of $50 thousand a year total. But that's if they're full time teachers.
I will, however, add that they're are a few public schools who can afford to sweeten the teal for the HC through booster club money. The state gives us that sorry a$$ stipend, but if get lucky enough to coach at a school with big boosters then they usually take care of you. I've heard of Manatee High offering a guy 20k to be HC. (+ their teaching salary obviously)

I will, however, add that they're are a few public schools who can afford to sweeten the teal for the HC through booster club money. The state gives us that sorry a$$ stipend, but if get lucky enough to coach at a school with big boosters then they usually take care of you. I've heard of Manatee High offering a guy 20k to be HC. (+ their teaching salary obviously)
Yes, there certainly are perks to working at a school with a generous donor base.

Advertisement
You have to do it for the love of coaching and helping kids, otherwise, its probably no worth it.

Yes, there certainly are perks to working at a school with a generous donor base.
Very rare though. Not many public schools like that. And MOST of the public schools with money like that don't have the athletes you'd need to go far.

Lakewood Ranch takes very good care of my boy...but it's Lakewood Ranch. Their ceiling is 7-3/8-2. They went two years without winning a game before he got there and now they wanna build him a **** monument after 2 winning seasons. Lol

One of the most interesting things I've learned over the years is that the perception of "success" is different everywhere.

Very rare though. Not many public schools like that. And MOST of the public schools with money like that don't have the athletes you'd need to go far.

Lakewood Ranch takes very good care of my boy...but it's Lakewood Ranch. Their ceiling is 7-3/8-2. They went two years without winning a game before he got there and now they wanna build him a **** monument after 2 winning seasons. Lol

One of the most interesting things I've learned over the years is that the perception of "success" is different everywhere.
I hear that man. I was going to mention that most of the public schools with lots of financial support are the ones that don’t tend to have the best athletes. I’ve never coached but I know a few guys who have been in and out of it. I also have friends who were high school administrators so I’m familiar with a lot of the politics. A lot of these suburban schools will treat you like gods if you can manage an occasional playoff birth and beat the local rival. The fan base knows they’re not going to contend for states so they get crazy for a 7 win season. ****, I went to Cooper City and our junior year we went 6-4, beat Dillard and went to the playoffs. You would have thought we won the national title.

Advertisement
I hear that man. I was going to mention that most of the public schools with lots of financial support are the ones that don’t tend to have the best athletes. I’ve never coached but I know a few guys who have been in and out of it. I also have friends who were high school administrators so I’m familiar with a lot of the politics. A lot of these suburban schools will treat you like gods if you can manage an occasional playoff birth and beat the local rival. The fan base knows they’re not going to contend for states so they get crazy for a 7 win season. ****, I went to Cooper City and our junior year we went 6-4, beat Dillard and went to the playoffs. You would have thought we won the national title.
Bro my dude went 7-3 and 6-4 in his first 2 seasons, after they were winless, and they literally don't stop asking him "what else can we do for ya coach?".

He has a lot of parents construction/contracting businesses and stuff like that. They wanted a tower to film practice. Kid's dad brought them a tower immediately.
"Here ya go coach."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back