2019 Redshirt Watch - Bowl Game

Advertisement
Dude let’s just bring in 5-9 offensive linemen this recurring cycle via transfer portal or singing day I can careless about these skill guys. We can find them milling around later most are dime a dozen. This should be our thinking going forward to be elite again.

In week 6, freshmen Zion Nelson, Jakai Clark, and Christian Williams played against Virginia Tech. Both Nelson and Williams have burnt their redshirt for this season.

Since we are now through game 5, we'll now start charting the upperclassmen that have played in 4 games or less and are still redshirt eligible for this season. All data pulled from UM's official participation charts.

Upperclassmen still eligible for redshirts: Lorenzo Lingard, Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, Marshall Few, Ousman Traore, Nesta Silvera, Zach McCloud, and DJ Ivey.

Advertisement
Lingard will play this year, he already redshirted his Freshman year.

Not a jab, I didn't expect to see this happen either.

I wonder if Nesta and Bolden ask to redshirt if Miami tanks the next 2-3.

Traore looks like he could get the shirt since we are likely to burn Clarke and have burned Nelson.

McCloud is now shirting as well. I actually think this is a GREAT thing for Miami.

The real questions moving forward:
1. Can we keep most of these kids? Perry + JW, Campbell, Donaldson, Thomas, DJ, Bandy
2. Can we sign 25 or more in this class without going into the Portal?
3. Is Rivers the answer at OT and if not, can we find a transfer with 2-3 years to play?

What is going on with Lingard?????

He came to the staff and admitted he doesn’t feel 100% so he asked to Shirt. The real question, does he play late in the year OR not as he is allowed 4 games like everyone else.

I’m excited to see some of the freshmen DL against FIU and GT!

Advertisement
QB - Matocha
RB - Lingard
WR - Payton
TE - Hodges
OL - Elgammal
DE - Phillips, Harvey, Williams
DT - Blissett, Holley, Hunte
LB - Huff, McCloud, Jennings, Steed
DB - Smith

In Week 7, freshmen Jakai Clark and Te'Cory Couch played against UVA, which was their 5th game of the season, burning their redshirt this season.

Of the upperclassmen, Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, and DJ Ivey played in their 5th game against UVA, burning their redshirt.

Of other redshirt eligible players, Sam Brooks and Marshall Few played in their third game vs. UVA, while Nesta Silvera played in his second.

In Week 8 vs. GT, only DT Nesta Silvera saw playing time among players still eligible for a redshirt. It was his 3rd game played.

In Week 9 vs. Pitt, Sam Brooks, Marshall Few, Nesta Silvera, and Zach McCloud saw playing time among players still eligible for a redshirt. Each of the four have now played in four games, and will burn their redshirt if they play in another game.

Advertisement
These are the players on the redshirt watch that played.

Jeremiah Payton – 3 (BCU, CMU, FSU)
Marshall Few - 5 (BCU, CMU, UVA, PITT, FSU)
Nesta Silvera - 5 (VT, UVA, GT, PITT, FSU)

Clearly Nesta and Few are now off the watch.

These are the players on the redshirt watch that played.

Jeremiah Payton – 3 (BCU, CMU, FSU)
Marshall Few - 5 (BCU, CMU, UVA, PITT, FSU)
Nesta Silvera - 5 (VT, UVA, GT, PITT, FSU)

Clearly Nesta and Few are now off the watch.

This

Even though the freshman defensive tackles and defensive ends Harvey and cam Williams are redshirting does that mean the staff does not wanna look at them against live competition in games like FAU and FIU where Miami should win big. I mean it looks like we are turning the corner in regards to togetherness as a team, maturity, and offense and defense clicking. @Stefan Adams what your take on this. I know you can’t read coaches minds but your opinion please.

Advertisement
Even though the freshman defensive tackles and defensive ends Harvey and cam Williams are redshirting does that mean the staff does not wanna look at them against live competition in games like FAU and FIU where Miami should win big. I mean it looks like we are turning the corner in regards to togetherness as a team, maturity, and offense and defense clicking. @Stefan Adams what your take on this. I know you can’t read coaches minds but your opinion please.

If Miami gets a big enough lead against FIU, you will certainly see those guys get some run, aside from Cam Williams.

Williams had to take an academic redshirt this year to get admitted, so he can only participate in practice, no games

LB Sam Brooks' game log was retroactively updated and indicates he played in both the VT and GT game. At 6 games played this season, Brooks is no longer eligible for a redshirt.

In Week 11 vs. UL, only DE Jahfari Harvey and S Keontra Smith saw playing time among players still eligible for a redshirt.

Advertisement
Back