2019 Redshirt Watch - Week 13

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Staff member
As of last season, a new NCAA rule went into effect allow a player to play in up to 4 games and still receive a redshirt designation. As such, it has made it worthwhile to track which freshmen were seeing playing time in each game to determine which players will land a redshirt at the end of the year.

Here's a chart to keep track of how many games the UM freshmen still eligible for a redshirt have participated in so far in 2019 (data is from UM's own official participation charts). This thread will be updated each week to reflect the new games played for each player and will be pinned to the top of the board.

*As of week 13, Zion Nelson, Jakai Clark, Sam Brooks, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams have played at least 5 games and have burnt their redshirt this season.

Freshmen Redshirt Chart

QB

Peyton Matocha – 0

WR

Jeremiah Payton – 4 (BCU, CMU, FSU, UL)

TE

Larry Hodges - 3 (UNC, BCU, CMU)

OL

Adam ElGammal - 0

DE

Jahfari Harvey - 3 (UF, UNC, BCU)
Cameron Williams - 0

DT

Jason Blissett - 1 (BCU)
Jalar Holley - 1 (BCU)
Jared Harrison-Hunte - 1 (BCU)

LB

Avery Huff - 0

S

Keontra Smith - 4 (BCU, UL, FIU, Duke)

Since we are now through game 5, we'll start charting the upperclassmen that have played in 4 games or less and are still redshirt eligible for this season. All data pulled from UM's official participation charts.

Upperclassmen Redshirt Chart

RB

Lorenzo Lingard - 2 (VT, Duke)

OL

Ousman Traore - 2 (BCU, CMU)

LB

Zach McCloud - 4 (UF, UNC, BCU, PITT)

Last edited:
Great thread!!!

Doesn't the rule apply to second year players also? If so, it might makes sense to track those players too.

g8rh8rMD

Junior
Of those that didn’t play, only JPayton and Keontra are extremely likely to not redshirt this year, in my opinion. One of the linebackers is a possibility also to burn the shirt, but if we’re lucky enough to stay 100% healthy there, I could see them both shirting.

HurricanesR1

Recruit
Surprised Keontra Smith didn't get some action against UF. Guess they wanted to keep as much experience on the field as possible.

skeeter

Junior
I like this thread...I'd also like an "early entree" thread with any changes/updates to that list in the recruiting section.

Liberty City El

Dejazmach
Jeremiah Payton
Keontra Smith
Larry Hodges
Sam Brooks
Jahfari Harvey
Te'Cory Couch
Christian Williams
Jared Harrison-Hunte
Jalar Holley
Jason Blissett

Should all play this year, can't afford to lose any of them to the portal due to the fact they didn't play.

You definitely redshirt the OL's & the QB, but the everyone else should play, even if it's limited reps, keep them engaged & make them feel like they're going to have a legit chance next year.

Liberty City El

Dejazmach
Lingard
Nesta
Traore
Ivey
Jennings
Bolden
Lingard will play this year, he already redshirted his Freshman year.

Nesta will be back this season & will play.

Traore I doubt it, could be needed for depth.

Under no circumstances will Ivey be redshirted, is needed for CB depth & will be CB3 all year.

Jennings depends on if he'll be out for whole season or not.

Bolden ain't shirting either, he'll play as soon as he gets clearedl

Cuban-Cane

Recruit

Under no circumstances will Ivey be redshirted, is needed for CB depth & will be CB3 all year.

Lingard didnt red shirt he played 6 games

90scane

Sophomore

I was only providing a list of potential redshirts.

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Staff member
Great thread!!!

Doesn't the rule apply to second year players also? If so, it might makes sense to track those players too.
Yes it applies to everyone that hasn't previously redshirted. We tracked them all last year and after game 4, singled out the guys who hadn't yet hit the 4 game limit. I think that's the best way to do it instead of listing out the entire team

mr.h

I hate F$U and ND

Totally agree

Mr.Everything305

Banned
Banned
As of last season, a new NCAA rule went into effect allow a player to play in up to 4 games and still receive a redshirt designation. As such, it has made it worthwhile to track which freshmen were seeing playing time in each game to determine which players will land a redshirt at the end of the year.

In 2019, the Canes have 16 true freshman. In the first game of the season, Miami only played 4 of them against the Florida Gators: Zion Nelson, Jahfari Harvey, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams.

Here's a chart to keep track of how many games the UM freshmen still eligible for a redshirt have participated in so far in 2019 (data is from UM's own official participation charts). This thread will be updated each week to reflect the new games played for each player and will be pinned to the top of the board.

Freshman Redshirt Chart

QB

Peyton Matocha – 0

WR

Jeremiah Payton – 0

TE

Larry Hodges - 0

OL

Zion Nelson – 1 (UF)
Jakai Clark - 0
Adam ElGammal - 0

DE

Jahfari Harvey - 1 (UF)
Cameron Williams - 0

DT

Jason Blissett - 0
Jalar Holley - 0
Jared Harrison-Hunte - 0

LB

Sam Brooks - 0
Avery Huff - 0

CB

Te'Cory Couch - 1 (UF)
Christian Williams - 1 (UF)

S

Keontra Smith - 0
Great tool for us Stefan

Mr.Everything305

Banned
Banned
Yes it applies to everyone that hasn't previously redshirted. We tracked them all last year and after game 4, singled out the guys who hadn't yet hit the 4 game limit. I think that's the best way to do it instead of listing out the entire team
Any kids that you think play at UNC that have not played as of yet?

AUcane

All-ACC
Surprised Keontra Smith didn't get some action against UF. Guess they wanted to keep as much experience on the field as possible.
Yep, manny acknowledged they went in with a short bench. More will play

Cane passion

Freshman
Although we were stout on the run I just don’t see the defensive tackles flash enough. We gotta be more in tuned with down and distance and subbing the right guys in. JON FORD AND BETHEL “AIN’T IT” ON LONG DOWN AND DISTANCE.

Damiencane86

Sophomore
Although we were stout on the run I just don’t see the defensive tackles flash enough. We gotta be more in tuned with down and distance and subbing the right guys in. JON FORD AND BETHEL “AIN’T IT” ON LONG DOWN AND DISTANCE.
Shows how great Willis really was last year, but Nesta coming back will help a lot.

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Staff member
Updated for Week 2

In week 2, 6 of Miami's 16 true freshmen saw time. They were: Larry Hodges, Zion Nelson, Jakai Clark, Jahfari Harvey, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams.