2018, The Sunshine State: Year of the DB

Geo305

Retired staff
Premium
Since it's talked and discussed about a lot here, I wanted to leave a post here for the talent pool of DB's in 2018 within the state of Florida. Some have interest from Miami or have been offered or receiving D1 offers from other schools. These are all the ones I have come across, I will continue to add when more pop up on the radar or when I discover them through watching film and scouting local HS rosters.

2018 DBs

CB:
Al Blades Jr. - St. Thomas Aquinas
Isaiah Bolden - Bartram Trail (FSU)
Thomas Burns - Northwestern (The U)
Traquan Butler - Killian
Irshaad Davis - Carol City
Lamont Finnie - Edison (WR/CB)
Stanley Garner - Dillard
Ron Hardge III - Cardinal Gibbons
DeAndre Hollins - Jefferson
Detron Holloway - Booker T. Washington
DJ Ivey - South Dade (The U)
Herman "Tre" Jackson - Southridge
Kenih Lovely - Dwyer
Ken Montgomery - Hillsborough
Jordan Miner - Wiregrass Ranch
Bryand Rincher - Piper
Asante Samuel Jr. - St. Thomas Aquinas
Keidron Smith - Oxbridge Academy
Patrick Surtain Jr. - American Heritage
Marquis Williams - Coconut Creek

CB/S:
Jamal Anderson - South Dade
Tyson Campbell - American Heritage
Miguel Edwards - Coconut Creek
Gilbert Frierson - Coral Gables (The U)
Josh Jobe - Columbus (The U)
Tyreke Johnson - Trinity Christian
Legend Moore - Hallandale
Jalen Patterson - North Marion (The U) [RB/DB]
Randy Russell - Carol City
Jakari Starling - American Heritage Delray
Trenell Troutman - St. Thomas Aquinas

S:
Amari Burney - Clearwater Central Catholic [WR/S]
Chamarri Conner - Trinity Christian
Gurvan Hall - Palm Beach Lakes [WR/S]
Cameron Jonas - Dwyer [WR/LB/S]
Nadab Joseph - Edison (LSU)
Chris Metayer - Miami Central [LB/S]
David Reese - Fort Pierce Central [LB/S]
Jamien Sherwood - Jensen Beach
CJ Smith - Oxbridge Academy [WR/S]
Dominick Watt - McArthur [WR/S]

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMO

Blades Jr., Bolden, Ivey, Samuel Jr., Surtain Jr., Campbell, Frierson, Jobe, Johnson, Hall, Joseph, CJ Smith & Watt are all Tier 1 DBs in regards to the talent as whole in the state at DB for 2018.

The others are tier 2 to tier 3 type of DBs with the talent pool as a whole. Lot of the tier 2 DBs would be takes for Miami in other recruting class years. The DB talent pool is that loaded in 2018.

With that said though, I think Trenell Troutman is a tier 2 type of DB for 2018 at the moment but with big junior year, he could be tier 1 IMO.

Last edited:
Miami really likes Troutman. I could see him getting offered soon.

Love his game. All I've ever heard is good things about him. Strong Arms coaches first put me on to him last spring. He really caught [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] eye at the rivals camp. He just left Pace today to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas.
[MENTION=10499]ErickMarreroU[/MENTION] the plug, told me it was gonna happen last week.

Advertisement

Love his game. All I've ever heard is good things about him. Strong Arms coaches first put me on to him last spring. He really caught [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] eye at the rivals camp. He just left Pace today to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas.
[MENTION=10499]ErickMarreroU[/MENTION] the plug, told me it was gonna happen last week.

Wait a minute..so this Troutman kid is transferring to STA too??? My God.

Yeah STA is loaded with DBs between Al Blades Jr., Brian Edwards, Trenell Troutman, Asante Samuel Jr., Benny Sapp III, Jaden Davis & Zaire Jacobs and more.

I really like Troutman as a player. So many 2018 DBs. If we can't get Samuel Jr or Surtain Jr. I'd like to have Troutman and Campbell. Would almost be just as good just not as highly rated on recruiting sites.

Advertisement

Yeah STA is loaded with DBs between Al Blades Jr., Brian Edwards, Trenell Troutman, Asante Samuel Jr., Benny Sapp III, Jaden Davis & Zaire Jacobs and more.

Wow, did not know troutman is at STA now, does anyone know if we are after CJ Smith, imo I would love to land that kid. Also, in certain classes we should take advantage of certain positions, I would take 7(3 Safeties Jobe Frierson and Smith and 4 corners out of blades, surtain, campbell, samuel, and troutman). I see Watts from your list as a WR. Also, if Richt can't land Surtain and Campbell that is a huge fail, yes Rumph should be the biggest contributor in landing these kids being a former coach, lobbying for Surtain's dad to get the job, and coaching Campbell since pee wee days but every head coach should also have a game plan in landing these kids. No excuses why we should not land these kids.

Last edited:
It's gonna be epic with the number of Quality DB"s...We've already got five for 18, so somebody needs to sign up before it's to late..

If we don't show something in 2017, this elite 2018 class will be nothing but a pipe dream.

Question: does this slow a players development? There are only a finite number of reps and snaps, especially in game action. I understand the quality of coaching is improved but the amount of on field time is diminished. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Question: does this slow a players development? There are only a finite number of reps and snaps, especially in game action. I understand the quality of coaching is improved but the amount of on field time is diminished. Thoughts?

Its the same as college, when a team is stacked. better comp makes you better. you might have to wait but when you get your turn you will be ready.

Advertisement
How does this impact our recruiting for '18? We picked up a few pieces in '16, getting (hopefully) two graduate stop-gaps, but it looks like we're taking 3-4 this year. How many would we have space for in '18?

How does this impact our recruiting for '18? We picked up a few pieces in '16, getting (hopefully) two graduate stop-gaps, but it looks like we're taking 3-4 this year. How many would we have space for in '18?

It will all work itself out. The staff won't turn down studs because of numbers. Also we have plenty of dead weight left of the roster. I can see Henley, Mayes, and Jackson transferring.

It will all work itself out. The staff won't turn down studs because of numbers. Also we have plenty of dead weight left of the roster. I can see Henley, Mayes, and Jackson transferring.

Those 3 have this year to show they belong or they will be outta here. There wont be any room for marginal/JAG type players in the secondary any longer after this year.

Advertisement
Back