2016 LB Pickney Explains UM Commitment

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2016 Raines (Fla.) linebacker Michael Pickney was Miami’s first verbal commitment for the 2016 class during this summer.

While it may have come to many as a surprise to see such an early pledge, Pickney knew for quite some time.

“I’ve been a Miami fan since I was a young child, that’s always been my school. I’m originally from Miami. I’ve been all about Miami especially since the ninth grade, I’m cool with all the coaches and it shows how loyal I am to the program.”

Pickney isn’t the only prospect in the 2016 class and has taken notice of the already talent filled prospects that have joined him.

“I have befriended some of them, I know Shaquille Quarterman, we’re close from around the way. Jack Allison, I hit him up on twitter and we chatted for a bit.”

While the 6’1 225 pound linebacker is committed to the Hurricanes, he still plans on seeing some schools. However, he assures there is no wavering in his pledge.

“Of course everybody still wants me to take my visits and I will see some other schools, but it’s still an 100% commitment.”

The Jacksonville native prospect has a deep connection with Linebackers coach Michael Barrow and is excited to learn from him.

“Coach Barrow, that’s my man. That’s my main man; he just came to me when I was young and befriended me and I told him that this is my school. He introduced me to Head Coach (Al) Golden and he’s running a great program and I can’t wait to be apart of it and start working with him.”

Pickney will be in Miami again this week to meet with the staff again.

Advertisement
I like the 100% committed. Can't blame a kid for taking visits, I just love how there's not "I'm 85% committed/for now/things might change" crap. You're either committed or you're not and this kid screams Miami Hurricane to me.

Advertisement
I am getting to really like Jax kids. Get us some more please. Welcome to THE U son. Can't wait to see you come through THE SMOKE the first time.

Advertisement
The entire 2016 class gives me no reason anyone of these commitments will waver. No matter that this kid made it clear he's 100% committed, we still get someone saying "if he sticks" or "hope we hang on to them". The kid tried to put those concerns to rest, but not even from the player will satisfy some, SMH.

The entire 2016 class gives me no reason anyone of these commitments will waver. No matter that this kid made it clear he's 100% committed, we still get someone saying "if he sticks" or "hope we hang on to them". The kid tried to put those concerns to rest, but not even from the player will satisfy some, SMH.

In fairness, no 2015/2016 commit has been more vocally solid than Mark Walton. Until yesterday, when he apparently said Georgia is now definitely his top school and a "final decision" will be coming in October.

So much can change over the course of the next year and a half. We'd all love for these elite 2016 commits to follow the path of Charles Perry and never waver, but that just doesn't seem realistic. Especially since every big-time program in the country will relentlessly recruit these blue-chip talents from now until NSD 2016 trying to get them to flip.

I get what you're saying, but the "hope he sticks" disclaimers are necessary in many cases.

How long has it been since we've had 2 LB's in the same class that are this talented, and will be able to play/develop together at the same time? Long *** time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back