2016 commit Uche continues to grow

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
JoshUche.jpg

The last player from Christopher Columbus to commit to Miami was Deon Bush in the 2012 class. Four years later, the Explorers are sending another one of their prospects about 15 minutes down the road to Coral Gables.

6-2, 220-pound Joshua Uche was offered by Miami back on March 10th and he committed on the spot.

“I kind of saw it coming because the defensive line coach (Randy Melvin) and I had a very good relationship, but I just didn’t know how soon it was going to come,” said Uche.

DL Coach Randy Melvin seems to have already made a big mark on Uche.

“I get a great vibe from him. At the junior day, me and him talked for about an hour just as if we were friends and he is one of the reasons I committed there. He has a great background with NFL and all of that.”

Maybe the best news for Miami fans is that Uche is still developing physically.

“My brother is 6-5 and I am actually supposed to be class of 2017 and I’m a grade ahead so hopefully I can continue to grow like that.”

The strength of this 2016 recruiting class has been a major talking point for recruits in South Florida.

“I’m trying to make sure that everybody stays together as one group because this is a really special class and we can do some big things.”

The stand-up rush end is very comfortable with his decision right now.

“I’m locked in with Miami. They have been treating me really well and I appreciate that. I don’t think I will be visiting any schools at this point.”

This spring practice has been about working on the little things for Uche.

“I want to work on my aggressiveness and the use of my hands some more to help me get around the edge.”

**Uche has gained 17 pounds over the past couple of months.
**Columbus DC Alex Trujillo told me he is an extremely coachable kid as well.

Advertisement
If he is the same age as '17 kids then he is plenty big enough. I had thought he would end up as more of a LB than a DE but 1. Kid could be **** big by his Soph year and 2. if he is playing in a 2 point stance for Columbus at least he'll have experience on his feet if he does end up as a more traditional LB.

Just to build on Peters point, very humble kid and has loads of potential. When I spoke to Trujillo when he committed, he assured he will have Uche learning zone and man coverage this season.

Uche will surprise a lot of fans if used correctly. Whoever is columbus dline coach that guy can develop talent. Same as bush over at flanagan, guy knows defense. UM missed a big opportunity last year by not adding Alejandro Levy as a walk on or scholarship player, this is a kid I would of loved to develop and he anchored that columbus dline.

Advertisement
Not your typical columbus DE (Rabasa, Rodriguez, Quintana); very fast twitch. Went to the SF fire north and south tryouts and saw locking down WRs in 1v1s and half field drills.

Kid sounds like McIntosh last year but younger and with more potential. Gotta say one thing the staph has found some under the radar beast this year. They still deserve to be fired tho.

If he is suppose to be a '17 kid, he would easily be a high 4* kid..... i think he is goin to be a stud

Advertisement
Kid sounds like McIntosh last year but younger and with more potential. Gotta say one thing the staph has found some under the radar beast this year. They still deserve to be fired tho.

I don't think he's that hard of a find. I mean, he plays for a top program (that has always has prospects with BCS offers) who went to the state championship. Had a beast game against Flanagan. Plays for one of the best national 7v7 teams. Also, had freakish numbers at the SPARQ combine. He's on all of the recruiting data bases. To me, this is the type of player that we're EXPECTED to be aware of. It's the other schools that are sleep for not offering or being aware of him, yet (But, hey...they ain't UM, so **** em).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Yo, who is gonna be the running back at CCHS?

I think it's Troy Davis JR. Freshman.

We're gonna be relying on a Sophmore?

Freshman

I watched him grow up in Perrine..He was a beast in Optimist for Palmetto Raiders and Richmond Giants. .. kid will be a stud in 2019...

I hear he's already 16. Won't be able to play his senior year...my bad, IMG.

I think it's Troy Davis JR. Freshman.

We're gonna be relying on a Sophmore?

Freshman

I watched him grow up in Perrine..He was a beast in Optimist for Palmetto Raiders and Richmond Giants. .. kid will be a stud in 2019...

I hear he's already 16. Won't be able to play his senior year...my bad, IMG.

I dnt knw about that, i can find out though.... he is very fast and shifty

Advertisement
Back