2015 OL Atterbury One to Watch

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
While the 2013 class just wrapped up last week, coaches have already turned their attention to the next crop of talent. Miami coaches hosted their second Junior Day of the year this past Saturday and one prospect in attendance was 2015 OL Billy Atterbury (6'5", 265) from Clearwater Central Catholic. Atterbury spoke on his experience in Coral Gables.

"I've always liked teams from Florida and I've always rooted for the hometown team so Miami is one of those. They also have a phenomenal sports program not just for football, their basketball team is ranked highly right now. I've always liked the thought of having the beach and all that. I was looking at their website and had been invited to this Junior Day to check out the school. It was great having LeBron and D-Wade there and the student section was going crazy every time the team made a point. I thought it was great how it was loud and everyone was cheering."

Atterbury talked about how contact was initiated with Miami.

"I've been looking at different colleges and I was on their website so I contacted Coach Kehoe and had a conversation with him so he invited me down to their Junior Day."

Miami offensive line coach Art Kehoe left an impression on the sophomore lineman.

"He sounds like a great coach. If you look at his resume and all the people he's put into the pros and all the people he's been with, it's great. Meeting him in real life, he's a great guy, real nice with a funny side to him, but also he can get serious."

While he played tackle this year, Atterbury says he's willing to play any spot on the line.

"I'm open to any offensive line position. I started at left tackle this year, but I'm open to any position the team needs me at."

A busy offseason is planned for Atterbury.

"I will be working out with my current team and getting ready for next season and I'm gonna try to go down to the Miami camp, Down and Dirty, and other camps and combines that have been spoken highly of for offensive linemen."

Although it's still early in the process, Atterbury knows what he will be focused on when he takes a look at each school.

"Academics are key because the odds of someone going pro aren't very high. Family life is important too so that I can talk to my family and also be accepted into the school community as well. I also want to be able to play for a winning program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back