2015 DB Arnette emerging onto the scene

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
One of the most impressive athletes at yesterday’s South Florida Express tryout was 2015 St. Thomas Aquinas defensive back Damon Arnette (6-1.5, 185). I interviewed Arnette back over the summer after he attended a Miami camp, but that was when he was playing receiver. Arnette is now playing defensive back and it looks like the decision to switch positions is about to pay off in a major way.

“Late in the season, our backup safety ended up getting hurt so they thought with me being physical and all that I could help the defensive side of the ball more than I could help the offensive side of the ball. I was ok with it because I like hitting. After the season, the coach let me know that I could play corner too and I told him I wouldn’t mind doing that. I’ve been working out playing corner and I’m actually pretty good at it, but I never even knew it,” said Arnette.

The transition to the defensive side of the ball has been smoother than Arnette originally thought it would be.

“It’s way easier than I thought it would be. I feel natural to it, way more natural than I was at receiver. I’ve really been enjoying it so far. I played corner before, but not at this level where a coach is able to teach me what is right and wrong.”

One of the major reasons Arnette has accepted the switch so willingly is because he is realizing that corners at his size are a rarity.

“I didn’t realize how valuable taller corners were because coaches are looking for corners who can cover those bigger receivers. I’m just trying to put myself in a position where I can go to college so I’m perfectly fine with it.”

Not only did Arnette catch the attention of those in attendance at Saturday’s tryouts, but he also made a name for himself a few weeks ago in San Antonio at the U.S. Army underclassmen combine.

“It was great. I did really well. I got 16 reps (one-on-ones) and out of those 16, I had 3 interceptions and 13 deflected balls so that definitely caught some eyes.”

One SEC school has already gotten word of Arnette’s recent success and is on the STA athlete hard.

“I’m being heavily recruited by South Carolina right now so hopefully an offer will be coming real soon.”

What schools is Arnette hoping to hear from in the coming months?

“FSU, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas are some of my favorite schools so that would be a blessing to hear from them.”

Another school that would be squarely in the mix for Arnette’s services if they show interest is the hometown Miami Hurricanes.

“Miami is probably the perfect school because I like the program, I love the team, I’ve been on the campus before, and it’s close to home.”

Another factor that would work in Miami’s favor? Arnette has a close family connection to Canes basketball player Justin Heller.

“Him and Neal (Heller’s father) will have a big influence on where I go. Neal has known my dad since he was playing college basketball and has known me since I was in my mother’s stomach.”

Advertisement
This kid caught my eye at Miami camp last year at receiver with his size and fluidity. The thought of him playing corner is exciting. He was locking people up yesterday and is a very smart kid, who would be willing to slide back to safety if he outgrows cornerback (he is still growing). I really think he is on the verge of blowing up once his name makes the rounds during the camp circuit.

Advertisement
Arnette transfered in last year from North Broward Prep. He sat behind James oliphant and Al Harris jr when healthy. Many people expect reshard causey to enroll at St. Thomas in the coming days so that secondary especially CB position will be loaded.

Arnette transfered in last year from North Broward Prep. He sat behind James oliphant and Al Harris jr when healthy. Many people expect reshard causey to enroll at St. Thomas in the coming days so that secondary especially CB position will be loaded.

Causey will be at Heritage.

Potential 2015 DB class of Arnette, Causey, Johnson, Kronkite, Irvin, and Fenton.............thoughts anyone?

Advertisement
Potential 2015 DB class of Arnette, Causey, Johnson, Kronkite, Irvin, and Fenton.............thoughts anyone?

340.gif

Has it been confirmed? I heard he was supposed to enrol at STA in the near future. If true this opens the door for Arnette.

Has it been confirmed? I heard he was supposed to enrol at STA in the near future. If true this opens the door for Arnette.

Multiple people at the tryout yesterday were saying he is headed to Heritage

This kid Arnette is going to be big!! Everybody needs to watch out for him. He has a great future ahead!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Arnette, Irvin, Johnson...I put the number @ 3 or 4. Seems with this list, you can't really go wrong.

Arnette, Irvin, Johnson...I put the number @ 3 or 4. Seems with this list, you can't really go wrong.

Until we take some unknown slot receiver from a has-been program over a few of these guys, then drop him later in the process, then are unable to get back in on these studs, right?

/I keed, I keed

//pours Cinnamon Toast Crunch

///cries in to cereal bowl

Advertisement
It just seems logical to go ahead and offer some kids. Rather loved and lost them to have loved too late. The 2015 class is too important to our resurgence. Again all I see are the skill guys. If anybody knows the importance of Defensive Linemen it's US!!!! Pete and staff? Do us a report on DT's and Nose Guards we're on or should be on.

Advertisement
Back