2014 Recruiting Class Size???

View as article

TexCane

Sophomore
Random Thoughts… 2014 Class Size?

The 2014 recruiting season is well underway. How many scholarships will our Canes award in this upcoming class? When you add the 14 remaining recruits from the 2013 class that joins the team this summer, we will be at the 85 cap. There are 18 seniors on the team this fall. Plus, there’s always some attrition. At, this point, I say the 2014 class will have 20 recruits.

What do you say?

TEX

Advertisement
Random Thoughts… 2014 Class Size?

The 2014 recruiting season is well underway. How many scholarships will our Canes award in this upcoming class? When you add the 14 remaining recruits from the 2013 class that joins the team this summer, we will be at the 85 cap. There are 18 seniors on the team this fall. Plus, there’s always some attrition. At, this point, I say the 2014 class will have 20 recruits.

What do you say?

TEX

If I'm not mistaken, we took 19 kids that all count for this year, so 25 + 6 = 31 max (give or take 1 or 2 depending on who is actually on campus when the fall term begins). Also, this is taking into account no schollie reductions nor how many we will have for next year on the full roster.

Yes, assuming everyone qualifies and enrolls, we will be at 85 for 2013. But i count only 17 seniors.

I can see a class of 22-26 assuming no sanctions.

Add up:
17 graduating SRs
1-3 nonqualifiers
1-2 early NFL departures (Perryman is probably the top candidate right now to leave early which sucks)
3-4 attrition (Thompson to baseball, Crow or Dewey, a WR, Grimble, Perry, Ricardo, EJ might not make it :ohlord:, etc)

Which all should allow us a pretty full class.

The 2014 class breakdown, based on current roster, should look like this:

1 QB
2 RB
1 TE
2-3 WR
5 OL
3 DT
2 DE
3 LB
1-2 CB
2-3 S
1 ATH
1 K

I think Denzel gonna stay for his senior year, he doesn't have those ideal measurables that many scouts often look for, I mean we all know he can ball but it is what it is, same issue was with Sean Spence.

20-24 Players

2 QB
2 RB
2-3 WR
3-4 OL
1-2 TE
3 DT
2 DE
2 LB
2-3 DB
1 K

Last edited:
Advertisement
We won't likely have spots for 25+ -- the 85 man roster limit doesn't go away.

My guess: 22--24.

Advertisement
1-2 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
3-4 OL
3-4 DT (at least 1 juco)
2 DE
2 LB
1-2 DE/LB
3 DB

somewhere around there

LOL at trying to project the UM 85 man roster in August of 2014. Come on man, you know that there is a LOT that can happen, both accidentally, and deliberately over the next 17 months that could affect that number significantly. Class could end up at 30 if they want.

It doesn't work that way. It isn't 25-19=6. It's never happened that way, so, not sure why u are adding like that.
I'd say 20 sounds about right.

LOL at trying to project the UM 85 man roster in August of 2014. Come on man, you know that there is a LOT that can happen, both accidentally, and deliberately over the next 17 months that could affect that number significantly. Class could end up at 30 if they want.

Not that hard to at least make an educated guess. We ended up with 19 commits which is well within the 16-20 that many predicted here. The one wild card of course is sanctions. Other than that, you can count on the same shi* happening every year, like nonqualifiers and attrition, and you can use logic and reasoning to make an educated guess as to what those numbers are. These aren't betting odds for sure, lol, but it's not like it's unreasonable to expect about a 22-25 man class when Feb 2014 rolls around.

The one rule of thumb is to always go a few kids above what you think the max size of the class is. There is always surprise attrition.

Advertisement
It doesn't work that way. It isn't 25-19=6. It's never happened that way, so, not sure why u are adding like that.
I'd say 20 sounds about right.

Huh? In any given cycle, teams are allowed up to 25 scholarships to give a year. We only had 19 sign for this year (again, not taking into account anyone who is a grades/qualifying casualty). So, if we're looking to max a class size (roster limits be damned for this hypothetical situation), it is a simple 25 - 19 = 6. We had no one defer/grayshirt. So, going by that math, 6 can enroll early and count towards this past cycle. Get it?

1 qb
3 o line
2-3 DT
2 d ends
1 TE
3-4 receivers (I'm sorry but the receiver talent in Sofl this year is ridiculous)
2-3 running backs - (same as receivers, simply too much talent to settle for one)
3 LB
2 corners
2-3 safeties

19-23, add on another cuz we may need a kicker/ punter

It's easy for you to say that isht. Now tell me who gets run off to make those spots open up. Because my number assumes some attrition. But with a relatively young roster and improving talent, unless you think AG is going to just cut guys, your number sounds fanciful.

Advertisement

Hey bomb...

The next NSD is less than 11 months away. That said, I agree it's a long way to NSD and MANY MANY things can happen between now and that day. Still, the class size won't change that much (+/- 3 either way).

TEX

Advertisement
Back