2014 QB Flowers Has Special Motivation

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The Jackson Generals have been the surprise of the playoffs in South Florida. After suffering four losses in the regular season, they are set to face Immokalee in the state semifinals tomorrow night with a chance to achieve history. The leader of this run has been their star quarterback, Quinton "Winky" Flowers.

"It feels great and I just want to thank God for the opportunity to play at this level at playoff time. We're all gonna come together as one and finish. We going to give it our all no matter what happens and play as a family."

Flowers has risen to the occasion during these playoffs. He explained why he relishes the pressure of the moment.

"I like the pressure because there's a lot of people with us and there's a lot of people against us. There's a lot of people who are saying things behind our back so we just have to go out there and play as brothers. We have to help one another no matter what happens."

It's evident that the junior QB is confident as his team prepares to take on the talented Immokalee squad.

"They have a couple of great players, but we don't really care. We're just gonna go out there and finish."

Something that is always in the back of Flowers' mind is the presence of his late mother, who passed away earlier this year. He has used the devastating loss to fuel him on the field.

"It motivated me a lot. Every time I get a chance to get out there on the field I was always think about her calling my name because I'm used to her telling me 'you can do it, you can do it' so that's the only thing on my mind when I'm out there. I know if she was here, she would be pushing me. Football helps me through all of the adversity, but all of this builds me up and makes me a better man. I have to keep pushing and keep fighting always and that's what we're gonna do tomorrow."

The deep playoff run is not only beneficial to himself, but his teammates.

"It builds me a lot and it also helps build the team because there's a lot of players that don't have offers who are getting recognition. It's not just about me, but for the whole team."

A number of schools including LSU, Auburn, Miami, and Florida have reached out to Flowers. He updated the situation with Miami.

"Miami talked to me a couple months ago and told me to keep my head straight and to keep pushing and everything will fall into place."

Advertisement
This kid reminds me of Ricardo Louis. I think Louis played QB in high school. Is Flowers set on being a college QB?

Advertisement
This kid reminds me of Ricardo Louis. I think Louis played QB in high school. Is Flowers set on being a college QB?

He wants to be recruited as a QB

Best of luck to him then.

He should be recruited as a QB. Makes no sense not to. If he doesn't develop (he's very, very raw), you have a potential superstar at safety.

Harris is the better qb; flowers is the better athlete.

No question about either one, IMO.

Advertisement
Harris is the better qb; flowers is the better athlete.

No question about either one, IMO.

Don't know about this.

I've seen them both live, and I think Flowers is the better QB hands down. Better arm, more of a playmaker.

The difference between the two guys is the talent around them and the coaching they're getting. Winky has single-handedly carried a weak Jackson team to the state semifinals. If he was on Booker T, they'd be a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back