2014 LB Young Trying to Enroll Early

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Albany (Ga.) linebacker Juwon Young surprised a lot of people with his first of game of the season. However, he didn’t surprise them with his defensive play, but rather his offensive ability as he rushed for 4 touchdowns and helped his team grab the win.

“It made me feel good as a player, that game really showed my athletic ability because people were getting down on us saying ‘you guys are gonna lose just because Juwon only plays defense and he doesn’t play offense’. So I just got on offense and proved everybody wrong.”

Young has also made his presence felt on the defensive side of the ball as he has racked up a lot of stats for his team.

“I think in two games I have 23 to 24 tackles, about 3 tackles for loss, a pass deflection and two strips.”

The 6’2 228 pound linebacker is committed to the Hurricanes and is still standing strong with his pledge.

“I’m a hundred percent committed to Miami, I’m not going anywhere.”

Young was able to watch the Hurricanes pull an upset last weekend when they knocked off the number 12 ranked Florida Gators and said it shocked some people.

“It was an eye opener because we’re still in probation with this NCAA stuff and it showing that we’ve been holding back, not athleticism wise but like not being able to play in a bowl game and all that other stuff.”

The Georgia native was inspired by the defense performance and feels that not only can he come in an contribute but also feels they are gonna help the team be great.

“Now I see the defense and how the scheme runs and I’m gonna come in an try to start, I won’t be able to start but I’ll be able to get into the rotation. It showed that we can be the best team in the ACC, well we are the best in the ACC.”

Beating the Gators has the Albany product believing that head coach Al Golden and his staff have done a tremendous job not only improving the team, but also studying a big opponent like Florida.

“The win means a lot, it shows that coach Golden has taken the time out with all the players and the position coaches have taken the time to make sure everything was in line like watching film and just correcting the mistakes they probably made last year with a lot of hard work and conditioning.”

Young has also been impressed with the job the linebacking core has done for Miami and is eager to watch junior Denzel Perryman.

“I love the way they’re playing, as long as they keep that up they can go all the way this year. Coach Barrow done a great job with the linebackers he already has and with Denzel (Perryman) and if he does leave this year, the linebackers will come in with me and we can apply the same pressure.”

The Georgia linebacker is planning one official visit for the end of the season and it’s specifically locked for Miami.

Young is still planning to take his ACT in October and is only in need of four more points to be set to graduate. However, it seems as if there is a possibility that he could be coming to Coral Gables sooner than expected.

“I talked to coach Barrow last week about enrolling early and I have to send him my final academic transcript and he has to get in touch with the academic advisor to let me know what classes I have to take so I can go ahead and pursue it on the computer. If not I’ll just show up in the summer, but I would like to get down there a lot early.”

Advertisement
What a great attitude! If the young man comes in and works hard he'll be in the rotation and starting sooner rather than later. Looks like Al has found himself another keeper.

Advertisement
Love this dude and his attitude. He's going to be a beast at the U. Hope he gets in early, that will be huge.

Advertisement
Young and Valentine are my two favorite committed prospects. Really hoping they both get here with no hassle.

I am in the Kaaya and Chad Thomas camp. It's hard to choose with all these studs in this class. Not to mention Smith?, Jackson?, Yearby?, the entire OL?...the whole class is **** good. We are stocking the shelves fellas.

Young and Valentine are my two favorite committed prospects. Really hoping they both get here with no hassle.

They are good ones but C Thomas and Owens say hello......
Outside of a couple commits, this class is absolutely stacked, regardless of stars.

They are good ones but C Thomas and Owens say hello......
Outside of a couple commits, this class is absolutely stacked, regardless of stars.

Not to mention guys like Mike Smith, Trent Harris, and Nigel Bethel. **** that's a deep defensive class we got going.

Advertisement
362.jpg

Advertisement
most of the kids on this team and who we are recruiting have the right attitude. That has been part of the challenge for the past couple years. Would like to see him come in early.

He's got the right attitude. That's half the battle!

Advertisement
Back