2014 LB Smith Excited for 2014 Class

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Miami Northwestern linebacker Mike Smith was disappointed when his teams hopes of making it to the state championship were cut short by the Central Rockets. Now he is going into his final year looking to get back to what the Bulls are about: Winning.

“I’m trying take it all away you know it’s either states or bust, thats what are coaches have been saying ‘States or bust’. Trying to get that state championship and overcome losing to Miami Central and Booker T. Washington last year and just try to continue to the tradition going for the younger guys.”

Smith is one of the leaders on the team and has been doing what he can to keep the team focused on the same goal.

“Lot of leadership roles, like I really have to control the team and police the team. Sometimes guys get a little off track and I help them, I gotta be like the big brother or the daddy of the team and tell these guys to stay focus and stay ready to play at anytime and remember that you don’t have to play this game, this game is a privilege to play.”

The 6’3 210 pound rusher gave his commitment to the Hurricanes back during the summer and is still a hundred percent committed.

The speed rusher speaks with the Hurricane coaches every week and enjoys speaking with them.

“I talk to the coaches about twice every week, stay in contact with Mike Barrow, coach Coley. Those guys are really cool.”

As far as visits go, there is only one place Smith might be looking to see during the year.

“I might be taking one to Clemson and thats the only one for right now.”

Smith shared his thoughts on head coach Al Golden and the job he's done so far.

"I think coach Golden is a guy who's really trying to get after it, win championships and he's recruiting hard down here in Florida and south Florida. I feel like he's a good guy."

The Hurricane commit also shared his thoughts on the recruiting class the staff has put together and how it looks.

"I think it's a great class coming in for 2014 and the class last year we had was a good team and I feel like both classes we're gonna do something special out there."

Advertisement
Predator Mike.

I can't wait for this cat to get in our S&C program, put on some weight and then hunt down QBs. He's gonna be a problem.

This guy is just a football player! He will easily be 220 and faster by the time he gets to the U. He be 230 by the start of practice next fall. A very fast SAM that can also press the pocket up the gut or off the edge. He, Owens, McCray and Young will give us some BIG and FAST Linebackers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back