2014 DT commit Stuckey working to enroll early

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Pearl River CC DT Dalvon Stuckey has been committed to Miami since late April, when he flipped from Florida State. That hasn’t stopped members of his family from supporting the ‘Noles.

“Most of my family is Florida State fans. My mom, my dad, and some of my cousins are Florida State fans. My mom was shocked when I first told her because I had never talked to her about Miami, but my family is going to be where I’m at regardless. Some of my cousins play with me sometimes saying I’m a traitor, but they’re with me regardless,” said Stuckey.

One of the main reasons for his switch to Miami was defensive line coach Jethro Franklin, with whom he has developed a strong relationship.

“He’s just a cool dude, man. He recruited me out of high school, but I didn’t really conversate with him then. He came here and told me that I was a much-needed guy and they needed D-Tackles. Everything he said to me really just fit so I just decided to commit since it all sounded right. I feel like Miami is a good place for me with a lot of tradition and I believe everything he told me. He a good dude though and he talks to me all the time.”

A recent Miami DT commitment reached out to Stuckey last night.

“I know there’s one named Travonte (Valentine). He added me on Facebook last night so I’m going to chop it up with him a little bit and conversate to see what he’s about. I heard he was pretty good.”

The 6’4”, 310-lb lineman feels very good about the shape he is in right now.

“We work out and run every day, Monday through Friday. With the new coaches that we have here now, they treat this program like a D-1 program so right now I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life.”

He has his sights set on being able to contribute early on for the ‘Canes.

“I’m trying to be a guy that comes from JUCO and makes a name for myself my first year at Miami. I’m trying to really help the team and make a big difference.”

The decision to choose Miami was a simple one for Stuckey.

“I just wanna play in Florida and Miami is a good school so there’s no reason for me not to go there if I want to be in Florida.”

Stuckey hopes to be able to enroll in January and is confident he will be able to do so.

“I’m working on that right now because I have a lot of stuff I need to handle, but I’m trying to get to where I can enroll in January. I’m pretty confident that I will do it because of the coaching staff we have here and all of the help that they give us.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Wow I didnt know he was 6'4 310 like Valentine too. Yeezus! We are getting these MEN to play the DT spot. Gone are the days of Josh Holmes and his pear looking self manning our middle. (Ok that was a cheap shot. Josh played to the best of his ability. Shouldnt knock the kid.) But I am excited about what they are bringing in thus far. I am REALLY hard on Jethro but if he can get something out of Moore or King or Grimble and reel in Julio Derosier and/or Cory Johnson I will leave him alone momentarily.

"Conversate?" And people wonder why athletes often have a hard time academically qualifying for college, where conversing is a big part of the learning experience. Personally, I don't care if our DT's are polysyllabic or just grunt. I want them big, strong and murderous, but it would be nice if they can live up to the whole title of student/athlete.

Advertisement
Some size on the interior to clog up the middle and speed all over the rest of the field. I love this it's starting to look like vintage miami

"Conversate?" And people wonder why athletes often have a hard time academically qualifying for college....

I'd expect that word to be included by Webster in the next 5-10 years. Mostly because it is so commonly and erroneously used.

By presidents.

I still think we need another JuCo DT. We need two DTs from this class to contribute next year. And, it's tough to put that on a true frosh.

Advertisement
If Valentine gets in he will contribute as a True FR. I think thye are looking for another Juco and another high school DT tho. I mean i think we need that. Porter and Robinson are done after this year.

"Conversate?" And people wonder why athletes often have a hard time academically qualifying for college, where conversing is a big part of the learning experience. Personally, I don't care if our DT's are polysyllabic or just grunt. I want them big, strong and murderous, but it would be nice if they can live up to the whole title of student/athlete.

As someone else said, that word is used by a number of different people from a variety of backgrounds. Doesn't make it right, but it's definitely not a good example of a kid not living up to the title of student athlete.

If Valentine gets in he will contribute as a True FR. I think thye are looking for another Juco and another high school DT tho. I mean i think we need that. Porter and Robinson are done after this year.

Valentine can contribute because he is mega talented but we can't rely on a freshman at DT or we are in for a long season. We absolutely need another JUCO and he needs to be a stud. Even then, we need one of the current guys like Moore or King to step up. This is a position that not only can we not afford to strike out on but we can't afford anything but hitting it out of the park. So far so good though.....

Advertisement
The ability to recruit high quality or big boy potential DT's is the only area of concern I have for us moving forward. I think we'll be able to bring in top talent skill guys, but we must be able to demonstrate to future top DT's that we can develop beasts at the position. Imperative we close on the best in the State of Miami.

1. You have to remember may of these kids, during their impressionalble ages, pretty much only saw the Gaytors as the most successful team.

2. With the futility of our defense they may just want to play for an established defense.

3. D'Nofrio doesn't give you confidence he is a quality DC. The youth excuse ends on 8/31

4. Guys want to play in big stadiums- Full of Enthusiastic Fans.

THE U has had a really good graduation rate on the football team since JJ's day. THUG U sent kids to the NFL with degrees. That is something we have never been given credit for. JJ's rate was on par with JoePa and vastly beyond anything St Bobby ever managed. Our "ganster" of sixgun fame in Cotton Bowl, Thill Hill himself, left with a Masters if I am not mistaken. If you to all those supposed bad boys speak, you realize that THE U was probably the tops at actually turning out actual students who were the top athletes also. Now, as for our JUCO DTs, yes please can we have so more? Never know when anther Kennedy pops out.

Advertisement
Back