2014 DE Thomas Has Off-Field Talent

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
2014 DE Chad Thomas from Booker T. Washington is one of Miami’s top targets for next year’s class. The talented defensive lineman is in the midst of a playoff run with his F-5 Tornadoes, as they hope to avenge their loss to Jacksonville Bolles in last year’s title game.

“We’re trying to do better each game. It’s all about doing the little things like the linemen pursuing the ball. We really wanna play Bolles again, that’s the plan. We feel like we just made some minor mistakes last year, but I’d be happy if we played them again.”

Thomas believes that he has made major strides in his game this season.

“Last year, I felt like I was running like a chicken with my head cut off. I feel like I’ve been able to put two-and-two together this year with what my coaches have taught me. I’ve been using my hands more and also come with power on every play.”

One of the big reasons for his success this season? Miami Head Coach Al Golden.

“He’s real cool. When I went to his camp, Coach Golden told me to work on the small stuff like my hand placement and where I line up so that I can beat that person in front of me. I can’t stay in the same mindset on every play because they can come at me differently. Whatever he’s been telling me has worked this year. I was surprised when he showed me.”

Not only is Thomas talented on the field, but he spoke about his love for music as well.

“I’ve been in music since I was a baby. I used to beat pots and pans and I had enrolled in a private school at first and I started with real instruments in 3rd grade. I play the piano, the trombone, the drums, the tuba, and the bass guitar. Some people are surprised I can play instruments, but it’s cool because I don’t have just one talent and I can switch it up.”

Interestingly enough, the junior standout says he gets the same feeling before a performance that he does before a game.

“I get hyped before a performance. I have to listen to Meek Mill and all that type of stuff before a performance because I like to be focused on what I have to do, not just the people watching.”

As far as recruiting goes, the same two in-state schools are leading the way.

“It’s still FSU and Miami up there.”

With all of the recent talk of the NCAA investigation surrounding the Miami program, Thomas says it isn’t something he’s really gotten involved in yet.

“I haven’t really been paying attention to it, but I’m trying to read up on it a little bit.”

One of Thomas’ best friends, somebody who he refers to as his brother at times, is prized 5-star linebacker Matthew Thomas. Chad gave his thoughts on where he thinks “Big 6” will end up.

“He still don’t talk about it, but I still say UM.”

Chad mentioned that he still plans to go to the same school as Matthew Thomas, as well as Denver Kirkland.

Advertisement
Can't even put into words how important it is for us to land both of the Thomas guys. As good as 6 is, Chad can be just as good.

Advertisement
A guy into sports AND music.

Brilliant!

Yeah, but I don't understand how these kids can list off all the instruments they play and then name Meek Mill as something significant that they listen to. How about music that uses real/live instruments?

Advertisement

Brilliant!

Yeah, but I don't understand how these kids can list off all the instruments they play and then name Meek Mill as something significant that they listen to. How about music that uses real/live instruments?

He was saying that he listens to meek Mill to get ready for a performance.

performance as in a footbal game or a concert?

Concert

Advertisement
I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous, people forget any talk about "we're back" till we can lock down the state of Miami and if we can't get these booker t boys, I will be very disappointed...let's just let booker t become an fsu feeder school why don't we?

I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous, people forget any talk about "we're back" till we can lock down the state of Miami and if we can't get these booker t boys, I will be very disappointed...let's just let booker t become an fsu feeder school why don't we?

Negged.

Advertisement
WE. MUST. GET. THEM.

Miami is going to land every recruit we offer out of Booker T.

Matthew Thomas
Denver Kirkland
Chad Thomas
Treon Harris

all comin to the U.

Agree but we all know how this will play.Next year Thomas will be claiming how even with Mathew and Denver already on the canes team he will not automatically be signing with miami and how he needs to do do what's best for him.It's the same broken record every year with recruits.

being a musician myself, i think this is really cool.

i wonder if he's serious about music because Frost School of Music is one of the best in the country.

Brilliant!

I listen to all kinds of rap and hip-hop, and I teach classical voice and my choirs perform all kinds of vocal styles.

What you listen to and what you teach/perform are not mutually exclusive. Trust me.

Advertisement
Back