2014 ATH Gray One to Watch

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
2014 Carol City ATH Trayone Gray (6’1”, 198) is a rising star in South Florida. After sharing the spotlight with Akeem Jones last season, the reigns of the offense will now be his.

“I’m pretty fast and strong, but my teammates are really pushing me now in the weight room to be a leader. I’m a very good competitor and going against the best brings the best out of me,” said Gray.

For Division-1 prospects like Gray there is never really a true offseason. What is he doing to prepare for his senior season?

“I put in extra work to try to be the best. Now in my senior year I have to take control of the team and be a leader. The offseason is one of the biggest parts of it because I want to be the best. I have to fill in Akeem’s shoes and there’s a lot of people pushing me since I’m kind of shy, but it’s helping me come out of my shell.”

Gray got some snaps at quarterback last season, but will now be asked to step in as the full-time starter.

“I’m ready, but I still have work to put in with studying film and going over my mistakes and working 1-on-1 with my coaches on my mechanics.”

Although he would prefer to play QB at the next level, Gray is open to play other positions as well.

“Quarterback is my main position that I want to play, but I wouldn’t mind playing receiver or kick returner either.”

The recruiting process is heating up for the versatile athlete.

“It’s getting better compared to my sophomore year. I got letters from Georgia, UM, and Appalachian State. I was gonna go to a UM junior day, but I had 7-on-7 tryouts and mixed the schedule up so I missed it.”

Gray has expressed an early interest in the ‘Canes.

“That’s my home school. I’ve always liked UM.”

What other schools are sticking out to him right now?

“I like West Virginia and Ohio State because of the type of spread offense that they run.”

The Chiefs’ signal-caller has an idea of what he will be looking for in a school.

“Getting my family to the games, the environment, and the best opportunity for me in my position.”

Here are Gray's junior highlights:

[video=youtube;5kySAuuCa4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kySAuuCa4U[/video]

Advertisement
Saw him at the Miami NFTC... very impressive build, some compare him to Anquan Boldin body-wise. Not sure on his speed, but he will put numbers up this year in total control of the offense

Advertisement
Likes playing quarterback, but will play wherever the staff needs him to win in college...refreshing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back