Will Jamal Carter start as a true freshman?

NorthFlaCane

Senior
I can see this kid turning into Deon Bush 2.0, showing up over the summer, working his *** off to learn the playbook, and then start by game 2 or 3.

Bush should have one safety spot locked down, the other will be up for grabs between Highsmith (yuck), Rodgers (double yuck), Jenkins, and Carter/Burns.

I like to tell myself that our defense will look a lot better once we have 2 legitimate safeties. Next year will be the first year in a while that all 11 players on the field actually belong on the field, and the inexperienced guys are the exception, not the norm.

Advertisement
He has the ability to do it, but I see Rayshawn Jenkins starting with Bush. I like what I've seen from him over the last 2 weeks. He needs a year of UTough more than most think...he is very lanky, but needs to add a lot of weight. Once he does that, he could be dominant back there with Bush

Carter will be more physically ready as a Fr than Bush but Bush has better mental tools to step in and learn the playbook right away. I think Carter will be a special teamer early and later in the season he'll get some defensive snaps like Jenkins this year. Carter and Bush both have mega upside though.

Carter will be more physically ready as a Fr than Bush but Bush has better mental tools to step in and learn the playbook right away. I think Carter will be a special teamer early and later in the season he'll get some defensive snaps like Jenkins this year. Carter and Bush both have mega upside though.

Ehhh, IDK about that. Deon came into Miami as physically ready as any freshman I've seen in awhile. It's not only about having those physical tools, but making plays with them. IDK how you can say "Deon has better mental tools to step in and learn the playbook right away", when Carter hasn't been given the opportunity to do so.

I think Jenkins played alright yesterday, I hope Carter gets the chance and pushes for a job. Competition breeds success. Anyway we look at this K. Rodgers should not be starting next year.

Advertisement
I think Jenkins played alright yesterday, I hope Carter gets the chance and pushes for a job. Competition breeds success. Anyway we look at this K. Rodgers should not be starting next year.

I get the feeling Rodgers may start the year off with the starting job opposite Bush. He might end the year on the bench a la Telemaque, but his experience as a starter might be valued by Golden next year. Don't get your hopes up that we won't have to see him on the field anymore, is what I'm saying.

Don't forget Highsmith. I love Alonzo, great Cane. But Lets be honest. AJ does not look like a Cane quality athlete to me. He looks small and slow and does not possess the skills to mask that. The fact that he started and played a ton yesterday shows how bad we are hurting at the position.

deon and jenkins best safties on the team right now, burns play corner hopefully carter nickel and safety

Advertisement
Next year will be the first year in a while that all 11 players on the field actually belong on the field, and the inexperienced guys are the exception, not the norm.

DE Chickillo, Hamilton
DT Porter, Bryant
DT Pierre, Robinson
DE McCord, Williams
SLB Johnson, Gaines
MLB Kirby, Paul
WLB Perryman, Blue
CB Howard, Finnie
CB Gunter, Crawford
FS Bush, Carter
SS Jenkins, Highsmith

That actually looks like a competent two-deep.

Next year will be the first year in a while that all 11 players on the field actually belong on the field, and the inexperienced guys are the exception, not the norm.

DE Chickillo, Hamilton
DT Porter, Bryant
DT Pierre, Robinson
DE McCord, Williams
SLB Johnson, Gaines
MLB Kirby, Paul
WLB Perryman, Blue
CB Howard, Finnie
CB Gunter, Crawford
FS Bush, Carter
SS Jenkins, Highsmith

So what you are saying is, we won't have to rely on a walk on LB if one our guys gets hurt?

Advertisement

DE Chickillo, Hamilton
DT Porter, Bryant
DT Pierre, Robinson
DE McCord, Williams
SLB Johnson, Gaines
MLB Kirby, Paul
WLB Perryman, Blue
CB Howard, Finnie
CB Gunter, Crawford
FS Bush, Carter
SS Jenkins, Highsmith

So what you are saying is, we won't have to rely on a walk on LB if one our guys gets hurt?
You're forgetting the chances of 1 or 2 guys getting suspended for not genuflecting every time they cross in front of Dorito.

There's no scenario where I don't see us vastly improving on both sides of the ball next year.

A Bush/Jenkins safety tandem would be better than any we've had in the past 4 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Carter should get signifigant burn by midseason. I agree about Jenkins though. With Highsmith & Telewack gone should be plenty of opportunity.

anybody but rodgers

This. He overachieved against VTech and that was it.

Rodgers plays much better in man coverage (like most of our DB's) . He and the rest of them stuggle in space with D'Oh's soft zone nonsense. Let them line up and play!!!

Ehhh, IDK about that. Deon came into Miami as physically ready as any freshman I've seen in awhile. It's not only about having those physical tools, but making plays with them. IDK how you can say "Deon has better mental tools to step in and learn the playbook right away", when Carter hasn't been given the opportunity to do so.

You just backed up what I said. Deon came in with good size and speed but he's on the smaller side for a college safety right now and early in the season he wasn't making physical tackles. Now he has the experience and know-how to be our best DB when healthy and make crushing hits using every ounce of his power. Carter would already be the most physically developed safety on the team so that's where that statement comes from. The guy is built like a LB and he's an incredible athlete.

As for mental tools, Bush is very mature for his age and has the mental makeup of an upperclassman in how he approaches preparation for a game and things like that. I don't see that with Carter, although I haven't seen him yet this year and mental growth happens quickly.

You just backed up what I said. Deon came in with good size and speed but he's on the smaller side for a college safety right now and early in the season he wasn't making physical tackles. Now he has the experience and know-how to be our best DB when healthy and make crushing hits using every ounce of his power. Carter would already be the most physically developed safety on the team so that's where that statement comes from. The guy is built like a LB and he's an incredible athlete.

As for mental tools, Bush is very mature for his age and has the mental makeup of an upperclassman in how he approaches preparation for a game and things like that. I don't see that with Carter, although I haven't seen him yet this year and mental growth happens quickly.

Mental growth is also a product of your environment. If you have teammates/coaches that teach and encourage mental preparation then it is accelerated. If you do not, than it takes adversity to either push you in the direction or cause you to give up. Not sure where Carter falls on the spectrum, but this can also be applied to the Frosh and Soph on this year's team.,

I think people are going to be surprised by our defense next year. Just sayin'. And, Johnson better get in line with whatever the **** he needs to do, because if we get Matthew Thomas, we're talking any missed practice away from becoming Wally Pipp.

Advertisement
Back