Patrick Joyner explains decision to flip to Miami

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
When he woke up this morning, Patrick Joyner was a Florida State commitment – but by 8 p.m., he was a Miami Hurricane.

The versatile South Dade high school product joined his teammate D.J. Ivey in Miami’s Storm 18 class and announced he was making a flip today – something that has been brewing for over six months. FSU’s coaching situation certainly played a factor, but as Joyner himself explained, this decision seemed like a long time coming.

“They’ve pretty much been recruiting me since spring even though I was still committed to FSU. They were coming at me really hard and I was going there almost every weekend to watch practice on Sundays,” Joyner said. “I was going to just get a feel for it and every time, it just felt like home.”

The Canes success on the filed this season showed him that the program was headed in the right direction.

“It was a big impact on my decision it tells me I can go in there, become a better athlete, and a better player,” he said.

Joyner is Miami’s only linebacker commit of the class and it seems like it is going to stay that way. It is something that played into his decision.

“That’s pretty big that I’m the only one coming in,” he said.

“They told me that they want me as a versatile guy who can play some end, but also drop back into coverage because they haven’t had a guy they can move around like that.”

Joyner will join a majority of Miami’s Storm 18 recruiting class on the December 15th weekend for his official visit.

“It’s very exciting. There’s some big-time players so I’m excited to get around them and get to know them before we get in there,” Joyner said.

And as is a factor in any recruitment, the Miami coaching staff played a major role in his flip.

“I like everything sbout them. To me, they’re like my coaching staff at South Dade. Coach Richt is a very much like my head coach – very calm.”

Joyner’s message to Canes fans?

“The U is back and I ain’t going nowhere.”

[TWEET]937487253814857728[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Hope the rest of the country enjoyed us getting destroyed last night cause it’s ending. CMR and staff stacking studs and we finally getting real Miami quality talent again. The hurricane is becoming more powerful by the day.

Joyner is Miami’s only linebacker commit of the class and it seems like it is going to stay that way. It is something that played into his decision.

Hmmm...

Only one LB this class? So are we gonna stop recruiting Gainer now?

Advertisement

Hmmm...

I mentioned this on the podcast last week, but as of right now the staff is not sure how serious Gainer is about them. He kind of exposed himself with the coaches the first time around and they don’t want to get played again. They have only wanted one linebacker in this class the whole time, but they will probably kick the tires with Gainer and see what’s up.

Advertisement
Told yall trust the staff, they have a plan.

Great pickup for Miami, that's two classes byke to byke flipping a FSU LB.

It's also great that we didn't allow the Noles to come down to our turf and take a great prospect from Miami's backyard.

South Dade should be a feeder school for Miami, that's why it was important to stay on Joyner & flip him, also need to flip Tyrique Stevenson as well (which we will).

If the Noles or the Gaytors are gonna get a good Dade player they need to fight like **** for'em, we should never just concede kids over to them.

I'm glad Diaz didn't settle and just take a kid that he didn't really want, no need to reach for bodies. Take the best LB you want in this class, plus 2019 is loaded at LB, literally 15-20 deep.

Last edited:

Hmmm...

I mentioned this on the podcast last week, but as of right now the staff is not sure how serious Gainer is about them. He kind of exposed himself with the coaches the first time around and they don’t want to get played again. They have only wanted one linebacker in this class the whole time, but they will probably kick the tires with Gainer and see what’s up.

Are they not impressed with Bonitto or just comfortable with the current depth???

Hmmm...

Probably the reason he committed so early to not lose the only spot. I know he was begged but if Gainer wanted in I believe he would have been able to commit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Hmmm...

Are they not impressed with Bonitto or just comfortable with the current depth???

Going to more of a 4-2-5 system and don't need as many LB's. Look at the number of DB's they are bringing in, this staff is recruiting for the scheme switch.

Are we expecting to get more flips from FSU?

We should be attacking FSU, Tennessee & Ole Miss recruits like a sharks at a feeding frenzy.

Scout which ones are top caliber at positions of need and snatch em.

I wish we would try and take their big DT Cooper from them.

Hmmm...

Going to more of a 4-2-5 system and don't need as many LB's. Look at the number of DB's they are bringing in, this staff is recruiting for the scheme switch.

Is this really the route or just because to make room for a loaded 18 class. I just can’t see a coach changing their entire scheme in a league where it isn’t needed. I’m all for packages but a complete overhaul I’m not buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back