Amari Carter

KrazyCane

SAVAGE
Banned
I can see him lined up as our starting FS with Jaquan Johnson at SS....

/ Discuss :crownpour:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thr official hurricanesports website has him listed at 6'2" 188lbs, so he has the size to play asap....

Michael Jackson might challenge for the starting spot too but he doesnt have the enforcer hitting ability that Amari Carter brings to the table.

Thr official hurricanesports website has him listed at 6'2" 188lbs, so he has the size to play asap....

Michael Jackson might challenge for the starting spot too but he doesnt have the enforcer hitting ability that Amari Carter brings to the table.

I think the staff will not want him to end up with a Deon Bush type career and will shirt him. Lots of variables (spring and summer ball) need to be cemented before any real decisions can be made with our DB's.

Advertisement
I think Finley starts with Johnson at the safety spots.

I think Redwine plays the 5th DB spot.

And I think Jackson, Bandy, and Carter will be battling Knowles, James, Henley, and Mays for the last 3 spots that see playing time on D.

I prefer Quan at FS, he's got the instincts & the ball skills to be a natural at the position, the only thing he lacks is prototype size & speed.

However, he can be used the same way Tyrann Mathieu is used, which is as a Nickel Safety that can play over the top or drop down if needed.

Amari is an intelligent mature kid, who can be a great playmaker, he's better suited at SS as in-Box safety that can come down hill in run support or Blitz in certain packages & the fact he's an EE will give him a chance to get legit starter snaps in rotation from day 1.

With the Elite DL & LB corp we have, we can play more single High with Press man on the outside, which makes it so much easier for our Secondary.

This is why it was so important to add Dee Delaney, because he gives us a ton of flexibility & much needed experience & depth to our young Secondary.

Yes, Redwine can be moved to FS & it's very possible he will this Spring, but as of now Michael Jackson seems to be the one that the staff has moved to Safety, so we'll see how that goes.

To me it'll look like this:
FS - Jaquan Johnson/ Michael Jackson/ Jeff James
SS - Amari Carter/ Romeo Finley/ Derrick Smith

CB1 - Dee Delaney (RCB)
CB2 - Malek Young (LCB)
CB3 - Jhavonte Dean
CB4 - Trajan Bandy (NCB)
CB5 - Michael Jackson

I think Malek, Bandy & even Dean can play in packages at Nickel, they'll be times where I could see Delaney & Dean as the outside Corners & Young inside, and they'll be other situations where Bandy will be the inside guy with Young or Dean & Delaney as the Boundary Corners.

Young really played well for us down the stretch last season & showed he can play both inside & outside, plus he's a good tackler that can be a Blitzing CB similar to what Elder was doing last year.

Last edited:
I prefer Quan at FS, he's got the instincts & the ball skills to be a natural at the position, the only thing he lacks is prototype size & speed.

However, he can be used the same way Tyrann Mathieu is used, which is as a Nickel Safety that can play over the top or drop down if needed.

Amari is an intelligent mature kid, who can be a great playmaker, he's better suited at SS as in-Box safety that can come down hill in run support or Blitz in certain packages & the fact he's an EE will give him a chance to get legit starter snaps in rotation from day 1.

With the Elite DL & LB corp we have, we can play more single High with Press man on the outside, which makes it so much easier for our Secondary.

This is why it was so important to add Dee Delaney, because he gives us a ton of flexibility & much needed experience & depth to our young Secondary.

Yes, Redwine can be moved to FS & it's very possible he will this Spring, but as of now Michael Jackson seems to be the one that the staff has moved to Safety, so we'll see how that goes.

CB1 - Dee Delaney (RCB)
CB2 - Malek Young (LCB)
CB3 - Jhavonte Dean
CB4 - Trajan Bandy (NCB)
CB5 - Sheldrick Redwine
CB6 - Ryan Mayes
CB7 - Terrance Henley

I think Malek, Bandy & even Dean can play in packages at Nickel, they'll be times where I could see Delaney & Dean as the outside Corners & Young inside, and they'll be other situations where Bandy will be the inside guy with Young or Dean & Delaney as the Boundary Corners.

Young really played well for us down the stretch last season & showed he can play both inside & outside, plus he's a good tackler that can be a Blitzing CB similar to what Elder was doing last year.

Jackson/Johnson/Finley are the top 3 safeties as things stand right now IMO

You could move 2 of those to either position.

Liberty, I like the new guys a ton, too. But Redwine as the 5th CB after being a starter last year, with 3 of the 4 ahead of him brand new to the team? Seems a stretch to me. Carter ahead of Finley and Jackson already is also a stretch. The reason the Bermuda Triangle started immediately was we had nothing at LB. But are our DBs that bad? Jackson didn't get going until October, and Young was eased in even more carefully.

I could see Bandy and Carter taking minutes midway through, possibly even leap-frogging the other guys. But I just don't the urgency to displace Redwine, Finley and Jackson early on. And Dean is still an enigma. He has the measurable to be like Gunter, but no real track record. And because he's coming in late, I think he'll take time to acclimate, as well. May even struggle for a while.

Advertisement

I think the staff will not want him to end up with a Deon Bush type career and will shirt him. Lots of variables (spring and summer ball) need to be cemented before any real decisions can be made with our DB's.

I don't think he was recruited to red shirt.

There's no way they shirt Carter. He has a bunch of monsters going to commit behind him he's going to want to cement himself as a player this year when PT is up for grabs. It will be real interesting to see what they decide to do with Redwine. Week1 one he's probably our 3rd best corner but i don't see him holding on to that spot long.

CB1 - Dee Delaney (RCB)
CB2 - Malek Young (LCB)
CB3 - Jhavonte Dean
CB4 - Trajan Bandy (NCB)
CB5 - Sheldrick Redwine
CB6 - Ryan Mayes
CB7 - Terrance Henley

Jackson/Johnson/Finley are the top 3 safeties as things stand right now IMO

You could move 2 of those to either position.

Jackson? Dude has never even played safety.

Liberty, I like the new guys a ton, too. But Redwine as the 5th CB after being a starter last year, with 3 of the 4 ahead of him brand new to the team? Seems a stretch to me. Carter ahead of Finley and Jackson already is also a stretch. The reason the Bermuda Triangle started immediately was we had nothing at LB. But are our DBs that bad? Jackson didn't get going until October, and Young was eased in even more carefully.

I could see Bandy and Carter taking minutes midway through, possibly even leap-frogging the other guys. But I just don't the urgency to displace Redwine, Finley and Jackson early on. And Dean is still an enigma. He has the measurable to be like Gunter, but no real track record. And because he's coming in late, I think he'll take time to acclimate, as well. May even struggle for a while.

Colbert was the starting cb last year. Redwine started once he got hurt but lost his spot the last 2-3 games to young. Very strong chance redwine ends up as the 5th cb.

Advertisement

CB1 - Dee Delaney (RCB)
CB2 - Malek Young (LCB)
CB3 - Jhavonte Dean
CB4 - Trajan Bandy (NCB)
CB5 - Sheldrick Redwine
CB6 - Ryan Mayes
CB7 - Terrance Henley

Great write up.

I must be the only one with limited expectations for Jaquan Johnson. You nailed it: "The only thing he lacks is prototype size & speed." Exactly.

Jaquan is a natural, instinctive player with terrific leadership skills. Got to be on the field on special teams and perhaps as a nickel safety. He scares me in coverage, however, vs speedy or tall WRs and most of all against WRs who are speedy AND tall. He cannot cover those guys.

So, I'm looking/hoping that Finley and Redwine develop quickly and that Carter and Smith come in ready to contribute.

Thoughts?

carter got burned a couple times in high school, being over aggressive. so i think he would have to adjust to the speed of college before he gets any burn. 2nd or 3rd year contributor.

I don't think he was recruited to red shirt.

Possibly. I just don't see Mangy trotting out a true frosh on the back end come game 1.

Advertisement

CB1 - Dee Delaney (RCB)
CB2 - Malek Young (LCB)
CB3 - Jhavonte Dean
CB4 - Trajan Bandy (NCB)
CB5 - Sheldrick Redwine
CB6 - Ryan Mayes
CB7 - Terrance Henley

Great write up.

I must be the only one with limited expectations for Jaquan Johnson. You nailed it: "The only thing he lacks is prototype size & speed." Exactly.

Jaquan is a natural, instinctive player with terrific leadership skills. Got to be on the field on special teams and perhaps as a nickel safety. He scares me in coverage, however, vs speedy or tall WRs and most of all against WRs who are speedy AND tall. He cannot cover those guys.

So, I'm looking/hoping that Finley and Redwine develop quickly and that Carter and Smith come in ready to contribute.

Thoughts?

Opposing QB's won't even have time to make a second read by the time our DL swallows them. Seriously, our front 7 is going to make the DB group look very very good.

Redwine got his lunch eaten by true freshman Young last year. Delaney will make mincemeat of Redwine. I highly doubt he holds Dean off either.

Im not sure Delaney can just beat Redwine.... Delaney seems to be a natural playmaker so he gets an edge there but he did play in whatever conference the Citadel plays in for 4 years, it's completely different than Adrian Colbert coming from Texas.

Redwine still saw a lot of playing time regardless if Young passed him up late down the stretch. No telling how much he progresses going into his junior season. Regardless Sheldrick Redwine, Malek Young, Dee Delaney, Jhavonte Dean, and Trajan Bandy are all going to have to play anyway. No depth.

Last edited:

The only EE that's on campus right now at DB is Amari Carter...

Delaney will be a day 1 starter, he's not coming until May, Dean will get starter snaps as well, he's not coming until May either.

Redwine is solid, but he's simply not a starting CB unless we have depth issues, the only way he starts is if he's moved to FS.

As far as Jackson, Idk what everyone has seen but what makes y'all think he's a starting FS? He's literally never played the position before & is being experimentally moved to Safety for Spring to see if it works.

I don't get what you guys have against Freshman playing, Richt said himself literally just 2 weeks ago, that there's no "Seniority" here, the best guys will play, whether they're Freshman or not.

I'm not predicting that every single incoming Frosh is better than every player we have now, I'm also not predicting that they'll all start, but maybe you guys just aren't paying attention but all of these guys are going to play if they show that they can.

Dean will play early because he's a JUCO & he has experience, he's not a Freshman, neither is Delaney.

With Finely, I said him & Amari will be in rotation, that job will be a battle til Fall.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back