Could this be THE END for College Football?

Santa

Band
Banned
Mike Shanahan and someone associated with the New England Patriots are putting together a new league to compete head-to-head with the NCAA.

The league will feature kids who have been out of high school 4 years or less, will be called the Pacific Pro Football League and will originally feature 4 teams in California, with the idea to expand later to other states.

The league will PAY PLAYERS directly out of high school and will have pro-style schemes that are designed to prepare kids directly for the NFL. There will be no limits on practice time, no useless academic requirements, no NCAA rules.... just football and NFL preparation.

No more slave labor, and no more getting sanctions for selling your own autograph. Now every kid with some talent has a chance to "feed the fam." See the link below.

Pacific Pro Football League Details Announced for Non-NFL-Eligible Players | Bleacher Report

Advertisement
Who's going to pay for it? The reason the NFL loves the NCAA so much is because they get a free minor league system.

I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.

Advertisement
50k a year for at least 3 years aint bad especially coming out of high school. It could impact college if it is able to catch on and build some popularity.

Why go to college when you can make 50k while getting prepared for the nfl.

Advertisement
lol. are people going to suddenly stop caring about college ball because a minor league outfit pops up somewhere?

Mike Shanahan and someone associated with the New England Patriots are putting together a new league to compete head-to-head with the NCAA.

The league will feature kids who have been out of high school 4 years or less, will be called the Pacific Pro Football League and will originally feature 4 teams in California, with the idea to expand later to other states.

The league will PAY PLAYERS directly out of high school and will have pro-style schemes that are designed to prepare kids directly for the NFL. There will be no limits on practice time, no useless academic requirements, no NCAA rules.... just football and NFL preparation.

No more slave labor, and no more getting sanctions for selling your own autograph. Now every kid with some talent has a chance to "feed the fam." See the link below.

Pacific Pro Football League Details Announced for Non-NFL-Eligible Players | Bleacher Report

The rate of kids going to the NFL from any such league will probably be around the same from college now. Which is to say very few will be drafted proportionally to the amount of players overall. The difference between college and a league like that would be the players that don't get drafted wouldn't have a college degree and college networks to fall back on.

You might say well if they get paid 50k a year to play there then it's worth it. Well, I doubt that the minor league teams would pay for housing and food like colleges do, and that income would be taxed, so they would only be able to save a small portion of that money. And that's assuming they live economically.

They also need more than 4 teams in my opinion to make it worth watching.

We will see how it plays out, I won't dismiss it out of hand but I have my doubts.

1.6% of college football players make it to the pros (in some fashion). We tend to focus on the plight of those that make it and not getting paid for their services in the interim. The reality, in my opinion, is that without some pre-existing allegiance to a school, most players in college football would not get TV exposure and their market value is not anywhere above a free education.

I also think the market value for star athletes is a straw man in the sense that they can turn pro any time after their sophomore year, so, except in very rare cases, their ability to get paid is delayed by only a few months. Furthermore, in many cases, staying in for an extra year tends to increase their earning potential and gross pay, not diminish it.

I don't see how this league can work because it doesn't consider the 98% of kids who aren't pro quality and what they add.

Where will they play? Who is going to pay to watch them play? Will this be televised? If so, on what network/s?

I don't see this working out at all.

Advertisement

would anyone be interested in paying to attend games? would advertisers be interested in enough to give them some tv platform and revenue? with no revenue they can't afford to pay players and sustain a league.

I am all about it. Players should at least be given a choice on how to make it to the NFL. Then it is up to the player if he wants to take the instant cash, or become a slave and get a free education.

Some people need money now. Not in two years.

I don't know how I feel about this. I agree current players need to get paid in some fashion, but they also NEED some sort of an education. Even if they don't finish their degree, having some accountability outside of football will better them in the long run.

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

Advertisement

would anyone be interested in paying to attend games? would advertisers be interested in enough to give them some tv platform and revenue? with no revenue they can't afford to pay players and sustain a league.

How does minor league baseball survive? Or minor league hockey?

Football is a popular sport. ****, it Texas, high school games sell out.

1284578079.jpg

Nobody NEEDS an education. An education is a means to an end. If a kid is 6'4, 230 lbs and can run a 4.4..... maybe the best career path for him is professional athletics.

This league is designed from the ground up to prepare professional athletes for a future NFL career. That's more than any university can or will offer them.

I would argue that focused NFL preparation is more valuable to the kid than a degree in Sociology. JMO

you know that the average nfl career is 3 years right? contracts aren't all guaranteed money. one bad step can end a career, and then you have a 6'4", 230lb guy that used to run a 4.4 with only a high school diploma to fall back on.

Advertisement
Back